Caravan stabilisers on motorhome?

michaelmorris

Like many coachbuilt motorhomes, the rear of our 2003 Autoquest 200 has leaf spring suspension. It has a side habitation door and a pull out step. Now neither Mrs M nor I could reasonably be described thin by anyone blessed with the gift of sight. As a result whenever Mrs M or I get into the motorhome the rear of the van does rock a fair bit from side to side. Is there a relatively simple, easy and preferably cheap way (that doesn't involve substantial personal weight loss!) to get of lessen this effect?

Would fitting a single caravan corner steady attached to the chassis underneath the van near to the step solve this problem,or would I need a pair of corner steadies? Any other (sensible) suggestions for curing this problem gratefully received.

Thanks

Nice to see a sense of humour, yes two rear corner steadies like the legs on a caravan that wind down will be the most practical or a couple of scissor jacks probably cheaper but harder to deploy. Airide rear suspension might be an option with added benifits which comes with added cost of course but get a quote for both including fitting.

Michael

You could fit the corner-steadies that Elddis would have installed on Autoquest 200s back in 2003 (though this assumes, of course, that Elddis originally offered rear corner-steadies as an option on that model).

If original-equipment steadies cannot be sourced, your best bet nowadays for manually-operated steadies would probably be the fold-down type shown here:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome-corner-steadies-long-model--1307-p.asp

You'd need to think carefully how and where to fit the steadies as they'd need to be bolted to substantial 'strong points' and also be easily accessible when you wanted to deploy them. There have been tales of steadies being attached to the motorhome floor's underside by enthusiastic DIY-ers who found the steadies poking through that floor soon after. I've also seen fold-down steadies fitted where operating them would involve lying full-length below the vehicle.

If you think rear corner-steadies would be nice to have, but not essential, I suggest you forget the retro-fitting idea. Installation may be challenging and there's always the possibility that you'll accidentally drive away with the steadies lowered (not a risk if no steadies are fitted).

As Ken suggests , the simplest/cheapest approach would be to use ‘jacks’ and Fiamma markets two types - plastic or metal.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Jacks-and-Steadies-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Plastic-Stabilising-Jacks

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Jacks-and-Steadies-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Aluminium-Stabilising-Jacks

michaelmorris - 2018-03-14 9:56 AM

With a bad back, I'd rather not be having to bend down/lie down underneath the van to deploy any form of stabiliser. That's why the idea of wind down steadies is quite appealing.

And it's almost de rigeur now to use an electric drill to wind them down, makes deploying them a doddle esp if you've got a bad back. I bought two of the extended sockets at a local caravan dealer for about £8 each

As my reply to your other post. We have tried using an electric drill to lower our steadies, but find the jack handle provided works fine. We put a block of wood underneath the steadies to stop any sinking into ground.

You soon get into the habit of lifting the steadies before moving off.

Ours where fitted when we bought the van, . Like you we are not "Twiggies" and with the step being at the rear , it does make a difference.

PJay

michaelmorris - 2018-03-14 9:56 AM

With a bad back, I'd rather not be having to bend down/lie down underneath the van to deploy any form of stabiliser. That's why the idea of wind down steadies is quite appealing.

Various ‘caravan style’ corner steadies are advertised here

https://www.caravanparts.co.uk/caravan-legs-levellers-caravan-corner-steadies-c-255_295.html

and I’m sure that a caravan breaker would also have some.

You may find that retrofitting such steadies to a motorhome that was not originally designed to have them will be a challenge.

My first motorhome (a 1996-built Herald Templar) had rear steadies as part of its standard specification - except mine (18-months old when I bought it) lacked the steadies though the winding handle was provided! I was never able to identify the steadies that Herald would have factory-fitted and none of the steadies sold for caravans would have attached easily to the mounting-points on the motorhome’s chassis.

My next motorhome (a 2005 Hobby) had 'drop-down' rear steadies as standard. In the 9 years of ownership I never used them and, when I sold the vehicle, I forgot to pass on the winding handle.

My van had steadies on the rear corners, in 4 years I never used them once so decided to take them off to save weight, and WOW they were heavy, I disposed of them somewhere probably went out with a load of scrap metal I got rid of, so beware they take up a lot of your payload. :-D

vindiboy - 2018-03-14 9:25 PMMy van had steadies on the rear corners, in 4 years I never used them once so decided to take them off to save weight, and WOW they were heavy, I disposed of them somewhere probably went out with a load of scrap metal I got rid of, so beware they take up a lot of your payload. :-D

Ditto I took mine off to increase payload. I still have them in the garage as we carry motorbike in Garage plus 2 electric bikes. As I recall they bolt on to the alko chassis. 

Archived