Ceiling lights IH 620 RL

sandalwood

Can I change my dim lights for brighter lights in ceiling, or does it have to be done professionally! IH cannot tell me. The lights are too dim to read by, but don’t want v v bright ones. Where to buy, how to replace?

Would appreciate advice!

S

Hi S,

The question may seem simple, but the answer is complex, and depends on many factors.

1. What is your level of DIY competancy. I do not wish to cause offence, but the fact that you have asked the question makes me wonder.

( You may well have to install crimped connectors to tail wires of any new lamp fittings, and perhaps enlarge the existing holes in the ceiling to accommodate larger fittings.)

2. What is the ceiling lining of your 620 RL made from? (In my 2006 Tio R the ceiling is about 4mm thick plywood with a felted lining.)

3. What size of lamp units are currently fitted? ( Mine were originall 10W halogen of "Frilight" range. My solution to the same problem as yours was to replace the halogen bulbs with supposedly plug in LED replacements. ( As I anticipate that you will already have LED units fitted this will not be an option.)

As a first non-commital step, may I suggest that you try removing one of the lights. This will allow you to check the size of the mounting hole and the type of wiring connector used. (The original connections in my vehicle were not very good, with incorrectly sized bullet connctors used.)

My lamp bases were screwed to the ceiling with two off No, 4 screws. I suspect that yours will probably be clipped to the ceiling by two spring loaded arms, as is common in domestic practice. A possible approach to removal would be two use a flat decorators scraper/stripping tool to lever the lamp down. A sensible precaution would be to remove the appropriate 12V fuse before trying this approach.

With the lamp unit detached from the ceiling, it should be possible to disconnect it from the fixed wiring. The problem can then be assessed more fully.

If your are not familiar with the fixing method, check a few adverts on Ebay and scroll down to the detailed info. It can be quite helpfull, also look up Frilight.

If by this stage you still wish to proceed you may have to face up to enlarging the existing hole in the ceiling, in order to fit a new lamp unit with more LEDs. Tricky, and in my experience the felted roof lining clogs up drill bits and hole saws very quickly. Enlarging a hole is more difficult than making a new one, as it is difficult to centre a hole saw without a pilot hole. May I make the following untested suggestion. Using a holesaw of the required size make a hole in a scrap of plywood of at least 8mm thickness. Centre the hole in this piece of plywood over the hole to be enlarged, and fix to ceiling with two 20mm x No4 screws. (The screw holes can be lost in the felt afterwards.) The plywood is now a guide for the hole saw without a pilot drill. I managed tocut two new holes in my vehicle ceiling turning the saw by hand. Hard work with frequent felt de -clogging required, but it removed the risk of suddenly bursting through, and damaging the vehicle roof.

As regards new lamp fittings, in order to cover the use of the lights when on EHU, the should ideally be rated for use at up to 14.5V or even 15V. The Frilight range is specifically made for marine / MH use, and should be OK, if you can finf a retail supplier.

Alan

Archived