Channel 5 Documentary

John Allen

Just returned from Three Cliff Bay campsite on the Gower. Whilst we were there a channel 5 film crew turned up in one motor home and a couple of vans. A second motor home with, Lesley Joseph, Don Warrington, Melvyn Hayes and Nick Heywood and one other red haired lady ( that I didn't recognise) turned up as the subject of the cameras. First glaring error was when Nick Heywood plugged the mains hook up cable into the bollard then walked back to the van trying to untangle it as he went.

Had a quick chat with a Marquis motorhomes guy who was there to give technical support as they had provided the van. He told me that they were making a documentary about motor homing and were touring part of the country for 2 or 3 days. The next morning they all went off down to the beach for more filming. Would have loved to see them on the climb back up as it nearly killed me and the wife the day before.

Apparently the documentary is going to be broadcast in the autumn. Lets hope they are not taking the P like similar programmes in the past.

John Allen - 2017-06-22 8:46 PM

Apparently the documentary is going to be broadcast in the autumn. Lets hope they are not taking the P like similar programmes in the past.

Very few programme makers are interested in accuracy, Their brief is to make commercial entertainment and that's all.

Wise words Will, I saw a piece by Tony Robinson on the Ridgeway which I know well and live in Uffington below the white horse when I'm in the UK As soon as he said " people in these parts". I thought, here we go. Who writes this stuff. Bring back Black Adder. At least you got the truth!

......First glaring error was when Nick Heywood plugged the mains hook up cable into the bollard then walked back to the van trying to untangle it as he went.......

Not sure what part you see as a "glaring error" John?

As neat as i coil my cable before packing away you can guarantee the next time i hook up, it will be tangled. I store mine in my back box. There is not enough room to take a cable winder so it has to pack "loose" and while cable winders or reels are good, i don't see anyone using them properly....eg, unreeling all the cable to avoid overheating.

Bulletguy - 2017-06-23 6:50 AM

......First glaring error was when Nick Heywood plugged the mains hook up cable into the bollard then walked back to the van trying to untangle it as he went.......

Not sure what part you see as a "glaring error" John?

As neat as i coil my cable before packing away you can guarantee the next time i hook up, it will be tangled. I store mine in my back box. There is not enough room to take a cable winder so it has to pack "loose" and while cable winders or reels are good, i don't see anyone using them properly....eg, unreeling all the cable to avoid overheating.

I don't think the post had anything to do with the untangling, more a case of plugging into the site socket first then carrying a 'live' cable back to the motorhome.

Re the comments concerning live cable, I wonder how many club sites use the same connector which after plugging in, requires the plug to be rotated to switch on the power. ? How widely used are they on commercial sites.. should they be compulsory everywhere.

It has caught me out on a couple of occasions, wondering why no power in spite of being plugged in,, and is supposed to be a safety item, preventing unplugging until the button is pressed to switch power off and release the connector.

Certainly, the van end should be connected first, not the bollard end., and advice is to avoid leaving the lead coiled tightly, and spread it out to prevent overheating ...also remember to place it where it minimises tripping hazards.

Tonyg3nwl

Ps, I have recently purchased a movie camera, so you might just appear on candid camera one day!!!!!

Tonyg3nwl.

Hi,

The C&MC used to have those (very expensive from memory) Martin Lunel sockets on their bollards many years ago but I've never seen them elsewhere and I'm not sure they would be any safer than the modern plastic ones rated at IP44.

I manage to coil up my 25 metre flex without using a reel -there's a knack to winding it up using its natural twist - plenty of videos on YouTube!

How come the Continental's keep their very long cables wound up on a reel when in use?

Steve

Homenaway - 2017-06-23 9:20 PMHi,

The C&MC used to have those (very expensive from memory) Martin Lunel sockets on their bollards many years ago but I've never seen them elsewhere and I'm not sure they would be any safer than the modern plastic ones rated at IP44.

I manage to coil up my 25 metre flex without using a reel -there's a knack to winding it up using its natural twist - plenty of videos on YouTube!

How come the Continental's keep their very long cables wound up on a reel when in use?

Steve
. Probably one or two reasons. Ignorance, or low amps supply or demand relative to the cable being used

Archived