Chausson 510 tyre pressures

Knaus

Hi we have Michelin Agilis tyres on our 2015 Chausson 510 the ride is very hard even at 65 pressure. The van is so light on the steering at this pressure. The van rattles even with everything secured. What do others run their tyres at?

Knaus - 2017-06-27 8:06 PM

We have been motorhomes for 15 years and know how to load.

So have you put it on a weighbridge and checked your axle weights? If the basic build is rear heavy then you may be fighting a losing battle!

Keith.

Edit: And you say you have Michelin Agilis but are they C or CP tyres?

Knaus’s Chausson 510 (photo of example attached) is Fiat Ducato-based and relatively compact. It’s Michelin tyres will be “Agilis Camping” pattern, 215/70 R15CP 109Q specification with Fiat/Chausson recommended inflation pressures of 5.0bar/72.5psi (front axle) and 5.5bar/80psi (rear axle).

Knaus has complained about the rattling before and the matter of tyre pressures came up then.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Chausson-510/41328/

My 2015 Fiat Ducato-based Rapido 640F has the same tyres as Knaus’s Chausson and the same 5.0bar/5.5bar inflation-pressure recommendations. The steering was light at those pressures and the ride decidedly hard. I've lowered the pressures to 4.5bar/65psi (front axle) and 5.0bar/72psi (rear axle) which has firmed up the steering and slightly softened the ride. The result suits me and my Rapido is rattlle-free.

Attempting to address noise coming from a motorhome’s interior by haphazardly and drastically reducing tyre presures is foolhardy. As has been repeatedly emphasised tyre pressures need to relate to axle loadings and, if the axle loadings are such that high inflation pressures are necessary, those are the pressures that - for safety’s sake - should be used.

The noise problem has nothing to do with Knaus’s motorhome being French-built, nor the tyres being Michelin rather than Continental. It’s to do with this particular motorhome having been built by Chausson so that it rattles, and it’s quite possible that other Chausson 510 models are significantly quieter.

500_5.jpg.a792a839e182b7fd62210769c30c1ef5.jpg

Archived