Citric Acid v Elsan

whatsupdoc

Using Milton for cleaning fresh water tanks (which we have used in the past) has now been discredited somewhat, as it can cause corrosion- https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Caution-When-Using-Milton-/15930/

It seems that Truma now recommend citric acid - https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Water-System-Cleaning-with-Citric-Acid/50113/

I know that Elsan tank cleaner is widely regarded, but compared with citric acid which is preferable in terms of getting all the gunk out, taste, and cost?

(We do use Elsil when we're on the road and that seems to keep the water reasonably fresh - hence my interest in Elsan).

Truma’a current guidance on ‘de-scaling’ a “Combi” appliance (and other Truma water heaters) can be found here.

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/faq/decalcify-truma-combi-heater.html

Truma has always warned against putting in the water system any product that contains chlorine as this can potentially cause corrosion. Years ago I asked Truma technicians what negative effect there might be if the water in a motorhome’s fresh-water tank contained a very small amount of Milton in it (a practice that used to be commonplace) and was told that this was most unlikely to cause harm.

Citric acid is used to descale rather than for sterilising, clear vinegar also works well. Puriclean is a very good and a safe steriliser.

I always descale with either citric acid or white vinegar then sterilise with Puriclean

I also do what is described above, each year in April i get food grade citric acid in bulk off ebay and use 1 kg in a 120 litre tank, leave for 24 hrs pump through to waste tank leave for 24 hour go for a run to slosh about then all the bits come out big style, flush through with clean water twice

Jonathan

whatsupdoc - 2020-05-27 12:46 PM

Using Milton for cleaning fresh water tanks (which we have used in the past) has now been discredited somewhat, as it can cause corrosion- https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Caution-When-Using-Milton-/15930/

It seems that Truma now recommend citric acid - https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Water-System-Cleaning-with-Citric-Acid/50113/

I know that Elsan tank cleaner is widely regarded, but compared with citric acid which is preferable in terms of getting all the gunk out, taste, and cost?

(We do use Elsil when we're on the road and that seems to keep the water reasonably fresh - hence my interest in Elsan).

I've been using Elsan "Fresh Water Tank Clean" (FWTC) to clean and de-scale the system before filling, including the Truma heater, for the past 15 years or so. I then flush the system through, drain, and immediately fill with fresh water, adding Elsan Elsil to keep the water clear of contamination in use, and have had no problems whatever.

The tank and the system generally seem to emerge from the FWTC treatment algae and scale free, and the Elsil seems to keep the fresh water free from taint or smell in use.

We mostly use campsites and their facilities, so our water consumption is low and a full 100 litre tank lasts us 2 - 3 weeks before I re-fill. I re-fill at 50% empty, and re-dose with Elsil at the recommended concentration at that point. However, we don't drink the water other than in hot drinks.

All I ever used was fresh air. Everything was drained when not in use then refilled on the day in use.

It puzzles me that so many are convinced they have to 'buy' something when some serious thought has all the answers.

That's how I live my everyday life and its served me well.

Will86 - 2020-05-28 10:39 AM

All I ever used was fresh air. Everything was drained when not in use then refilled on the day in use.

It puzzles me that so many are convinced they have to 'buy' something when some serious thought has all the answers.

Ditto

BruceM - 2020-05-28 10:50 AM

Ditto

I'm sure that a careful regime like this is vitally important.

However I would still want evidence that there were no nasties inside the tank - and use a cleaner (maybe just once) to verify that that was indeed the case. If the water came out crystal clear, then I would be convinced that that regime was all that was needed.

I have been similarly careful in emptying/refilling the tank, and have not detected any real problems with the water, but I am always amazed what comes out when I do use a tank cleaner.

If the water supply you fill with is hard water, as is overwhelmingly the case in much of Europe,, then you will need to descale at some point. Scaled up kettles and water heaters are less efficient and more susceptible to terminal breakdowns. If you have some form of gauge in your water tank then this will stop reading too as it scales up. Dirt in the water supply and any microorganisms will become trapped in the scale and thrive there.

Citric acid does the job well as, in our experience, does a period of a week or two of filling your tank solely with soft water.

I'm from an age where eating all manner of bugs was an accepted part of life, in today's world additional bugs are invented to sell a product.

Today water companies tend to mix their sources to reduce scaling problems and does anyone really know what manufactured chemical do to our bodies.

Will86 - 2020-05-28 1:27 PM

I'm from an age where eating all manner of bugs was an accepted part of life, in today's world additional bugs are invented to sell a product.

Today water companies tend to mix their sources to reduce scaling problems and does anyone really know what manufactured chemical do to our bodies.

I take your point about chemicals - but not all water companies succeed in reducing scaling problems. Kettle descaling has to be done weekly here - the water is very, very hard, as I'm sure it is in many other places.

Guest pelmetman
whatsupdoc - 2020-05-27 12:46 PM

Never used Milton or anything other than household cleaner to clean our freshwater tank ;-) ......

Every few years whether it needed it or not :D .......

Fortunately we can access our 30 year old tank internals and clean it B-) ......

Archived