Cleaning a Hymer 800 X 500 rooflight moulding

StuartO

I'm sure I've seen a previous thread on this topic but could I find it?

The opaque rooflight of our toilet comparment have got dirty between the inner and out plastic skins.  It looks like the inner one is glued or welded to the outer but there are holes so I could hose it clean if I can get the roof light off.  It winds up on four metal legs which have pivoting joints with the plastic moulding.

Anyone know how to remove these rooflights please?

Stuart,

I thought the same when I read your post but it wasn't a post on the forum, it was the 'Top Tip' in February's MMM titled 'Double skinned roof light cleaning tool'.

Was that it maybe?

Keith.

PS Its on page 161.

starvin marvin - 2017-04-19 11:31 AM

Keithl - 2017-04-19 11:14 AM

Stuart,

I thought the same when I read your post but it wasn't a post on the forum, it was the 'Top Tip' in February's MMM titled 'Double skinned roof light cleaning tool'.

Was that it maybe?

Keith.

But what did it say?

Now that would be telling :D

I've added a photo of the article but it's quite small due to file size limits of this forum.

Keith.

2130496438_image1(1).JPG.6b31ae1c8bfebad76eb9547ec6ba21df.JPG

I think I've I've answered my own question by climbing up to roof level to insoect the outside of the rooflight.  The four upper pivots on which the plastic moulding rests are merely circular pegs and the plastic is retained on the peg by a press-on internal star washer, which grips the peg.It should be possible to lever these off and replace them afterwards - but I will obtain a spare set of washers just in cast they break.to release the plastic and take that down to ground level for a good hosing through to remove dirt from between the two layers.

Thank you for your contributions.

I should then be able to bend the arms inwards

I cleaned my Hymer roof light by doing exactly that

. Remove Star washers you may have to cut them

off. I did. I understand that it is advisable to replace them with new ones which I obtained via ebay from Brownhills, ask for Darren Leadbetter. hymer spares.

i turned the roof light upside down filled it with hot soapy water and used a bottle brush to clean between the panels. then hosed it clean.

Best of luck, its quite a big unit when you are standing on a ladder and trying to get the lugs to go into

the correct holes.

• 1 month later...

I've bumped this thread to provide feedback on the outcome when I finally got around to doing this job.  The replacement starwashers had arrived from Brownhills when we got home from France and it was a sunny morning, so no excuse.  And I did have to cut the old retaining washers off, as advised.

Darren, the guy who runs the Hymer spares sales at Brownhills had mentioned that I might need replacement stepped nylon washers too  but they are priced at £4.70 plus postage (for four washers!) so i baulked at that and in the end mine were perfectly serviceable and could be recycled.

I have a high step ladder, left over from days in business, and this allowed me to stand safely, waist high, at the edge of the roof near the dirty rooflight.  After raising the rooflight and cutting the old washers off (the inner ones meant I had to climb on to the the roof) the plastic rooflight was easy to lift off - although the cautionary advice I#d had that it was a big lump to handle is certainly true - do not attempt this job on a windy day!

Cleaning the twin-skinned rooflight was problematic; the skins do not separate and there are only a few holes through which to attempt the cleaning.  I ended up using a hosepipe and a large bottle brush and got a reasonable finish.  It's difficult to see how you even try to clean this rooflight without removing it.

Replacing the cleaned rooflight wasn't too difficult on a calm day except that you do need to make sure that the shouldered nylon washers are in place on the mounting rods; they do tend to want to escape.  I lowered the inner side first and positioned to get the mounting rods through the holes, than lowered the outer side to get those rods into place.

Fitting the retaining starwashers on to the ends of the mounting rods requires quite a lots of force and after ruining a couple of finger nails I gave up trying to do it without a suitable tool.  Eventually I came up with using a suitable sized socket wrench with a short extension rod as a handle; the socket is large enough to slide easily over the mounting rod but small enough to sit inside the outer rim of the starwasher.  Using this as a mandril you can support the inside end of the rod arm with one hand and push the starwasher into place with the other.

In summary this job is certainly DIYable providing you can cope with climbing on to the roof of your MH.  You will definitely need replacement starwashers so get them before you start.  You will also need a large (but not too large) bottle brush to clean between the skins of plastic of the rooflight so organise that before you take it off too.

Thank you again for the helpful advice I had from Forum Contributers.

I should perhaps add that the mounting rods are 8mm diameter, so any 8mm starwasher  should do the job and these can be sourced easily (and more cheaply than from Brownhillson EBay.

The shouldered nylon washers would be potentially more problematic to source elsewhere so may you do need to pay Brownhill £4.70 plus postage if you need those.

Another bump for some supplementary information.  Both the star lock washersand the shouldered nylon bearing washers are easily (and cheaply) available on EBay and you should searcg for "Star lock washer 8mm" and "Nylon shoulder washer M8 8mm long".

Archived