Cleaning and polishing

candapack

Apologies, I know this will have come up several times previously.

I want to give our van, a white coachbuilt on a Ducato chassis, a good clean and wax before winter. Looking for recommendations for materials to use, meaning detergent, polish, cloths etc.

I don't have and won't be getting any machinery, eg mechanical polishers. Elbow grease only.

Thanks in advance.

As you’ve rightly said, this has been discussed here several times over the years

https://tinyurl.com/yyr3txyb

I use AutoGlym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner (£15 to £18 for 2.5 litres) for the occasional wash and Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax for ‘shine’.

https://www.bilthamber.com/double-speed-wax

(Obviously, the dirtier the vehicle is to begin with (say after over-wintering outside for months) the more robust the cleaning procedure will need to be.)

If you have a jet wash buy a snow-foam gun and some snow foam. Snow foam all over leave for about 20 minutes then wash off with a hose (low pressure).

Snow foam alone is a great non contact way to keep the van clean in winter but the next step is a two bucket wash i.e. a different bucket for the lower and potentially more gritty areas. use a microfibre mit not a sponge.

if the van needs polishing then use an appropriate polish but only polish if the paint has become dull do NOT routinely polish.

Dry the van with a microfibre towel never a chamois.

Wax with Colonite 476.

Apart from the washing part the above comments are mainly relevant to the metal parts of your van and some external parts of a coach-built will be of a different and finish,

PM me if you want more info.

A lot of info in the archives if you use the search tool (tab above) Probably too much ;-)

I used a company. Cleanyourcar. https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

For bits and pieces. That said Halfords have a decent range.

The roof is usually the worst area to clean, and maybe the most important because the muck sits and can damage the surface. Very obvious advice, make sure you have secure access whilst working, a number of fellow mhomers have had accidentally fallen causing injury.

Rgds

Hi Chris,

This really depends how far you want to go. Without machinery and to do a really good job, first test the paint surface. If it feels rough, consider using a clay bar which will get the impurities and dust off the paint. Then use a paint cleaner which will remove all old polish. Then wax, I use Collinite and that is a once a year treatment. When I did my van last year, I found it fairly easy work, but the van was only a year old then so the paint was still good. The results were worth the effort!!

My son snowfoams my van every now and again. Our Karcher has a low pressure setting and he works to my instructions. You can buy a Lance for the snowfoam if you haven't a karcher or similar.

Then I wash the van with Carapak Wash 'n Wax. I use Autoglym's Caravan & Motohome cleaner for touching up and removing any algae. We clean the wheels separately with a dedicated wheel cleaner from AutoBrite - depending on whether your wheels are steel or alloy. We buy our brushes and cloths from there.

We were on a site at Cheltenham last month and there was a 2014 caravan parked up with a stunning, showroom shine. So I stopped and had a chat with the owner and he said, "that's my wife's doing, have a chat with her". She told me she uses Fenwick shampoo and Fenwick polish at least every month - or whenever she's bored and thinks it needs doing. says it only takes half an hour because it never gets really bad.

Must say their caravan looked brand new, so although not many of us will have that dedication, Fenwicks comes highly recommended..

• 4 months later...

Archived