CoPilot - which version

RichD1

Not sure which version of CoPilot to buy for my iPad, Car or Caravan.

I’ve now downsized to a 7 metre 3500kg van so possibly don’t need the size options in Caravan. What do you think?

Also, Car is at V10 whereas Caravan is only on V9. Can anyone advise what the differences between V10 & V9?

Finally are all map updates applicable to all versions of CoPilot?

Hi, I have the free version, basic, no bells and whistles.

I have added my own pois for cmc, ccc,britstops Some of them.and france passion,aires etc.

Maps for uk and france

It runs on my 10 inch tablet, and I have added a small audio amplifier battery powered to boost the audio above the vehicle noise.

All works ok,

I also have Garmin Camper 660, with added pois.

Dont find it necessary to have special features, vehicle size etc, just use common sense, to avoid obstacles.

Tonyg3nwl

I decided to go with the Car version in the end.

Unfortunately my iPad is a non-cellular version so I've added a Garmin Glo GPS receiver but ActiveTraffic only works on a cellular version even though the iPad will be connected to a Mi-Fi router.

Hi Tony

I've just bought the Caravan v.9 version and attempted to import (amongst others: Caravan Club, Archies Camping and ACSI)

As you've installed some POIs onto your copilot I wonder if you could give me some guidance.

I've managed to install the Caravan Clubs POI, but failed to get ACSI and Archies Camping to work.

I'm confused by Copilot's instruction which state "According to the app you have to go to the relevant SAVE folder. Please select the folder starting with com.alk.copilot and then select:EU/save (if you have Europe)",

I'm using a Windows 10 pc connected to the Android tablet - but Windows Explorer shows two com.alk.copilot folders, one has the further appendage .mapvewer and the other has .premium.rv for example . com.alk.copilot.mapviewer

Although both folders have an EU folder within them, Explorer does not show Save. Using the tablets own file manager I found the EU folder in both the above and placed the POIs in the Save folder of the .premium.rv folder (which is where other similar files reside). Although the Copilot app indicated new POIs found - only the Caravan Club POI worked.

I've tried inserting the POIs in the com.alk.copilot .mapviewer but no go.

So - any suggestions?

Just tried to post reply, but it failed.so again

I use esfileexplorer on android tablet to transfer poi from microcard into eu save on copilot

I use usb card adaptor to download poi via windows 10 main machine and usb card adaptor to carry the microcard.. then transfer the microcard into the tablet microcard slot.

On the tablet, I use android ESFILEEXPLORER free download to open the microcard, and copy the poi file, then open the copilot directory on the tablet, and paste the poi file into the save/eu file area.

Then close the file explorer and open the copilot program.

It finds the new poi file and swallows it with a few more clicks, to chose relevant image.

I have to use esfileexplorer, because my tablet wont connect dIrect to windows 10 via usb as there is a damaged pin on the socket

Tonyg3nwl

Ps, I only have the free version of copilot,,no special lorry or caravan version.

Tonyg3nwl

Hi Again, Just a thought.

Are you sure that the csv files are the correct format. Examine them under windows, and check that the header line if the file does not have any quotes around the Longitude, Latitude, or other entries on the header line.

some of my downloaded files had quotes , and others didnt. The ones with quotes, failed to be recognised by copilot, so I had to edit the offending files to remove the quotes marks

the first line of the file should be

Longitude,Latitude,placename, comments

tonyg3nwl

One thing I have come across is that CoPilot needs the file format to be Lat, Long, Place etc.

But the files I downloaded from CamperContact and Archies were in Long, Lat order, so had to reformat.

I'm struggling getting POIs to load on iOS. I'm using the file sharing routine in iTunes as recommended by CoPilot. I think the files were loaded as CoPilot said 'new fils found' when I turned it on. I then create a new file folder but then I could never see it listed in the POI list when you click on ... on the search page. However, if you go into the settings page and click on 'show current POIs' it is listed there. But when i go back to the map and go to a location where I know where an icon should appear from the file I loaded, it's not there.

Anyone had success in loading POIs on an iPad?

• 1 month later...

Since my previous posts - I've finally cracked how to insert POIs. It would seem, at least for my Android tablet, Copilot's insertion format is pretty sensitive where Lat, long and Name is concerned. I'd made the mistake of inserting a new top row - then inserting Latitude, Longitude and Name into the blank row (in that order) and not checking that they were also shown correctly in the Formula Bar above. I then noticed that although the individual cells looked correct - clicking on Longitude cell and checking in the Formula bar I'd somehow merged the Lat and Long into one caption. Resetting them correctly using the Formula Bar instead of typing into the individual cells worked!

So now I've French Municipal sites, CMC and CCC, Acsi and Archies all working. Both the Archies and Municipal POIs had apostrophes "....." but they went in OK. Hope this helps anyone else who might be struggling.

Myself, I would have bought the caravan version for a 7 metre motorhome at least it has campsites already programmed into it and would have kept you from taking routes with low and narrow bridges. I have also never had any trouble loading TT .ov files.

I have not tried the car version but I do have the truck and the caravan versions and the mapping and the routing algorithms are the same for similar settings.

peedee

Archived