Cobb BBQ

Randonneur

Hello, I'm new here but I've been around for a good few years. More important is that I used a Cobb for 10 years and tried a few options other than the Cobb stones together with always looking for cheaper Cobb stones.

Even though price fixing is against some law that no one remembers, price fixing exists and Cobb products are just another example.

Best economy I could find was was to use half a stone if I didn't need a two hour burn time.

Oh-yes, I used charcoal though didn't feel it was pertinent to recommend in the Cobb with it having such a small fireplace.

I must try charcoal again, much more pleasant than the smell you get from the stones even though the stones are very effective.

We have always used Briquettes since we bought the Cobb 10 years ago but our Friends who we have been away with this last week used Cobblestones, they are expensive and we were wondering if you could cut them in half because most of the time you don't need a 2 hr burning time. Anyway, we have ordered something similar from Catterick Caravans so will see how they work as they are about the 5th of the size of a cobblestone so we would probably need 3 and they are £8.99 for a 2kg bag.

I have regularly broke a cobblestone in half you get enough heat to cook a varied meal for two and I have never run out out of cooking heat whereas using a whole stone just meant I put a pan of water on the Cobb for washing up so I don't waste the heat.

Noody - 2016-09-26 4:42 PM

I have regularly broke a cobblestone in half you get enough heat to cook a varied meal for two and I have never run out out of cooking heat whereas using a whole stone just meant I put a pan of water on the Cobb for washing up so I don't waste the heat.

What a good idea, hadn't thought about heating water.

Along with most other Cobb owners I always feel that the expense of the Cobbstones is like an itch that I can't scratch but those stones are easy to light and very efficient.

I found I could start a Cobb stove off in situations where a BBQ either wouldn't be allowed or at least frowned on. I've often cooked a meal on a Cobb on a camping table, the heat-source of a Cobb is so well isolated that it's almost as clinical as a propane fired BBQ.

Archived