Cobb bbqs.

DavidBrown

Hi just wondering if anyone on here has a Cobb bbq but the gas version. Just wondering what people think of them ?

Or if u haven't got one. What kind of gas bbq do you use. ?

Just looking for something small for two people.

:-D

Hi David, we did have a briquette type Cobb for a while but found it much more difficult to use than a conventional BBQ and after use much more difficult to clean. At a temporary holiday site we were next to a British chap living in Spain but spending summer over here (too hot for them in Spain) and he had a very nice, compact grill that was also a single ring gas hob that screwed directly onto a 907 campingaz cylinder. The grill is a Campingaz make but they no,longer produce this version. This was much more convenient and allowed us to sometimes just cook ordinary things on the ring outdoors or use it as a conventional BBQ. Hiwever, since getting the Chausson we have an 'Easy Chef' built in BBQ that simply slides out from the side of the van - triple rings and a large griddle top - now that is civilised!

Got rid of the Cobb but still have the Campingaz griddle as a spare.

David

We have a Safari Chef gas bbq, which we use with a camping gaz 904. The difficulty we have is that neither of us is a lover of BBQ'd food! The upshot is that we lug it about for 4 months and use it 3 times!

I was attracted to it for the lid which can be used as a wok. We both really love stir fry, but can seldom be bothered with it, plus BBQ's don't really fit with free camping, so we just cook inside.

So my advice is to examine your camping style and food preferences, before splashing out. Eating out is also very cheap in both Spain & Portugal. I think I've just talked myself into getting rid of it.

We bought a Cobb briquette BBQ when we had our first van that didn't have an oven in, it works brilliantly but you have to wait for the coals to go grey. Didn't know they did a gas version. We also have a Calor BBQ that fits onto a Patio Gas bottle, this is double sided so flat plate on one side and ridged on the other, you can also just use the gas burner on its own. The only problem with it is that you are limited, I think, to the Patio Gas bottle, don't know whether it will fit on a different bottle. When caravanning we always used an ordinary small gas BBQ, the oblong type that had a lid and that was perfectly adequate and we also used it on the balcony at home although you do need some sort of table to put it on because they are quite low.

We have a charcoal Cobb and love it. I'm sure the gas one would be the same to use just quicker/cleaner. Washing up is a bit of a pain but you can get liners for them which would help I'm sure. The thing to bear in mind is that they are an oven really not a BBQ. So it is great for cooking joints of meat, veg/meat/fish/potatoes which I tend to do in foil parcels, pizzas, bread, cakes and puddings but not so good I don't think for traditional BBQ food. It depends what you want it for... We also have the fry dish so it means we can do things like risotto, paella, curries and stews. Have a look for a Facebook group called Cobb BBQ UK - you'll get loads of hints and tips...

Hey thanks for all your advice. We have also been looking at cadaver bbqs as these seem slightly smaller in size.

And yeah it's a pain having to light bbq coals or the cobble stones and wait for them to go grey ect. Plus some campsites will not allow you to have a coal bbq.

And yes the gas Cobb only takes gas canisters which I personally think is easier than lugging a gas bottle around.

:-D

Cannot comment on the Cobb however in AU the most popular BBQ in the MH/caravan fraternity is the Webber Baby Q. They run on LPG, and come in two versions, a standard lid and a high top lid that is best for cooking a roast. The high top also comes with a temp gauge. I have a full size Webber at home and I find the little one works just as well. We tend to use ours almost every night as we both do not like the smell of meat in the MH. Our Autotrail has an external gas connection that makes the whole process very easy. Cheers,

Archived