Continental Vancampo Tyre pressures

jazzivano

Hi, I know that Tye pressures have been discussed ad museum, but I have vancampo tyres on my ACE Milano 3500kg Ducato 2.3 anyhow, the maximum pressure written on tyre wall is 69psi, however, in drivers door a chart says tyres should be 72 & 75. I have trawled the web for some kind of help, to no avail,. Anyone else out there with similar issue please?

Ivan,

You will need to get separate axle weights for front and rear axles at your fully loaded condition and know the exact size and load rating of your tyres then look up the corresponding pressures in the Continental Data Book here...

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/85806/e0854f2c7866c64da551474b998ef8b3/download-technical-databook-data.pdf

Van tyres start at page 80.

Keith.

jazzivano - 2020-05-27 1:50 PM

Hi, I know that Tye pressures have been discussed ad museum, but I have vancampo tyres on my ACE Milano 3500kg Ducato 2.3 anyhow, the maximum pressure written on tyre wall is 69psi, however, in drivers door a chart says tyres should be 72 & 75. I have trawled the web for some kind of help, to no avail,. Anyone else out there with similar issue please?

What is the specification (size) shown on the sidewall of your motorhome’s Continental “VancoCamper” tyres, please?

I’m guessing it is 215/70 R15CP 109R - but it would be worth you confrming that this is correct.

I'm using the the pressures of the Conti chart, my front axle when fully loaded is 1600kg, rear is 1900kg, so right on the limit, but that is full of water, diesel and gas so nothing to be added.

The tyres are 215/70 R15CP 109R, front pressure 50psi rear 72psi. When I had Hankook tyres on the back they were at 65psi, that was the max that Hankook recomended.

This 2013 ETRTO document

http://pneusnews.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2013-ETRTO-RECOMMENDATIONS.pdf

included a section on motorhome tyres and (on Page 44) the following recommendation was made regarding CP-marked ‘camping-car’ tyres

Referring to the "service description”

The LI designation of CP-type tyres carries a single “load index” indicating their normal use in single fitment. In this case only, tyres on the rear axle have to be inflated to 550 kPa, (to compensate for severe conditions of unequal load distribution, but with no further concession to increase the maximum load capacity). When these tyres are used in dual fitment, a tyre pressure increase is not required and the axle load capacity is calculated as 1.85 times that of a single wheel fitment.

550kPa equates to 5.5bar and 80psi. Michelin follows the ETRTO recommendation rigidly and will only quote 80psi/5.5bar when advice is sought regarding what pressure to use for a CP-marked Michelin tyre if fitted to a motorhome’s ’single-wheel’ rear axle. Continental is more flexible and will advise rear axle inflation pressures for their CP-marked tyres based on a measured axle loading.

A Load Index of 109 equates to a tyre maximum loading of 1030kg (= 2060kg for an axle maximum loading). When the tyre is CP-marked, inflating the tyre to 69psi (4.75 bar) should be adequate if the 2060kg axle loading relates to the motorhome’s front axle, but - if the 2060kg loading relates to the motorhome’s rear axle - the tyre can safely be inflated to 80ps (5.5bar).

It’s commonplace, when 215/70 R15CP 109R tyres (Continental or Michelin) are fitted as original equipment to a motorhome, for a front axle pressure of 72psi/5.0bar and a rear axle pressure of 80psi/5.5bar to be advised, but the motorhome converter may sometimes choose to vary those figures.

As Keithl has said above, if a motorhome owner wishes to diverge from the tyre inflation pressures advised in the vehicle’s documentation, before doing so the motorhome should be weighed to establish representative axle loadings.

Archived