Crete Advice

Guest Yorkshire Pudding

Guest Yorkshire Pudding

Hi all,

We are presently in the planning of spending September to November in Crete and are looking for route advice.

Basically we have narrowed it down to either from Hook of Holland and down through Germany, Austria and Hungary etc,

Or through Italy and over on the ferry.

Our concerns are issues travelling through Serbia and Macedonia (safety, road speeds and Insurance) V Costs of Travelling through Italy, Switzerland etc..

Any advice would be a huge help.

Thanks Guys..

Yorkshire Pudding - 2018-07-11 6:59 AM

Hi all,

Or through Italy and over on the ferry.

Any advice would be a huge help.

Thanks Guys..

Italy to Crete by ferry maybe a problem. There where none when we looked and the only route went via Greece. If you find one let us know we have been to Greece by ferry from Venice saves the bother of the Balkans and I didn't think the cost was bad considering the fuel costs to drive

I did that trip in the 1990's. I took the ferry from Brindisi (Italy) to Patras (Greece). Then via Corinth to Piraeus, from there took a ferry to Mykonos, thence to Heraklion (Crete).

Return was Heraklion to Piraeus direct with Anek Lines.

Outward journey was camping on board (you sleep in your van), return was cabin only.

Good trip, there were a few campsites on Crete then, might be more now though, pretty basic but OK.

My preference was Dover-Calais, down through France, then down Italy to Brindisi, or Ancona as an alternative.

I did this trip 30 years when the balkans was not an option. Ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa same

price as from Brindisi, Then drove down through Pelopponese to Monemvasia for ferry to Kastelli

(I think) via Kythira which was very cheap. I highly recommend the Pelopponese.

Guest Yorkshire Pudding
jb6981 - 2018-07-11 10:50 PM

I did that trip in the 1990's. I took the ferry from Brindisi (Italy) to Patras (Greece). Then via Corinth to Piraeus, from there took a ferry to Mykonos, thence to Heraklion (Crete).

Return was Heraklion to Piraeus direct with Anek Lines.

Outward journey was camping on board (you sleep in your van), return was cabin only.

Good trip, there were a few campsites on Crete then, might be more now though, pretty basic but OK.

My preference was Dover-Calais, down through France, then down Italy to Brindisi, or Ancona as an alternative.

Giving the Balkans a miss, This is the route we were thinking, rather than the northern ferries. Although the southern based ferry services might need a little more investigation.

I’m thinking if they do stop running out of season, it might have to be a return through the Balkans, or look at other options

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Archived