Cruise Control

davew

My X250 was produced just before Autotrail fitted cruise control as standard.

With a deteriorating arthritic knee I think I'm going to get cruise fitted before I venture off to Spain in January. I'll enjoy the rest and opportunity to exercise it whilst on those long motorways!

What I would like opinions on is: what spec should I look for and where can I get it fitted - reasonably locally?

Thanks

Depending on what you get and I cannot comment on any of them you will be able to slow down and increase your speed without touching the brake or accelerator.

Its a wonderful system and will make your life so much easier, I've been using CC on two vans for 30 years, One of mine operates at 18mph the other higher, and for controlled zone driving they're great.

It makes for a far simpler and more pleasant life.

art

The genuine Fiat CC system cannot be retro fitted without replacing the entire main wiring harness believe it or not, and Fiat are not alone in this, VW do similar so I'm told.

Almost all after market cruise systems will be by the same manufacturer now, Liteon although they're often marketed under different brand names: Waeco do "Magic Speed" but it is exactly the same kit as the Gold Cruise systems fitted by myself, Conrad Anderson and Adroit services to name but three, there are plenty more installers out there.

For the X2/50 I'd recommend the new AP900 fully electronic system and the CM35 stalk on the left hand side of the steering column which gives you all the base features of cruise control: SET current speed, ACCELERATE, TAP UP in 1/2 MPH increments, DECELERATE, TAP DOWN in 1/2MPH increments, COAST which simply disengages the CC and reverts you back to manual control plus two memory buttons that you can preset to speeds of your choice (30 and 60 are the most popular settings).

Pressing the accelerator pedal when "on cruise" will override the speed control and you will accelerate, if you exceed the set speed by more than 15% (approx) the CC will disengage, likewise if your speed drops by 15% of set speed it will disengage. Pressing the brake or clutch pedal will disengage it too.

HTH, D.

Keith, Its not an easy retrofit for Fiat.

I asked my Fiat dealer the same question back in 2007 when it was new. Funnily enough Autotrail asked him the same question a few days later.

It's a whole ECU change for Fiat at prohibitive cost - even at that time there were 18 different ECUs fitted to X250s!

Thanks anyway.

Hi - I would strongly recommend that you go to a competent company to retrofit a cruise control.

i went to Conrad Anderson in Birmingham for my retrofitted cruise to my LMC Ford Transit. They will give you a quote over the phone and you can stop ovenight at their workshop if necessary. They have been installing cruise control for many years and have a good website which gives lots of info.

Good luck.

Hi, Believe it or not I,m just back from Dumfries where I was to have had Cruise control fitted to our New to us (2006) Autotrail Mohican on a Merc chassis,  it didn't have Cruise control fitted when we bought it and after having it on the other Motorhome I really wanted it on this , The Obvious choice was Dave Newell but Dave is a fair distance from me so I searched the Internet , M/H Magazines ,and boy racer car magazines , had a quote from Conrad Anderson, then thought to try my Local Mercedes Dealership, they Quoted me less than Conrad Anderson,and they are also a lot closer, I took the M/H in this morning for fitting of the Cruise control only to be told they had received the wrong Part , Right box ,right part number, wrong Item, so it will be Tuesday next week now, So even the Main Agents are not infallible, but they will pay for my fuel,  good Luck .

If you are an engineer then its not that difficult to fit, but if you are not an engineer you could make something potentially dangerous mechanically.

I did my own some 13 years back and the basics have not changed that much although the aditional features provided by modern software are attractive. Today most have an in-line module between the accelerator potentiometer and the vehicle harness so no longer require an expensive mechanical actuator.

Have a look.

http://www.motts.org/Cruise%20Control.htm

C.

1159291327_CRUISECONTROL1.jpg.cb5e5083b144f49552dc0218e7e52469.jpg

Hi

Can recommend the system outlined by Dave Newall. I got one fitted at the Northern show by Adroit Services. Have a look at www.adroitservices.biz if you wish. Was going to get one from the Dave Newall stand but was told I would have to go to Telford and I wanted it done at the show which Adroit did. No probs with it - love it and it has increased my mpg inasmuch as the engine has a much smoother input. My right foot is heavy!!

Art

We had Dave Newall fit our C.C. to our Fiat 2.8 Kontiki and its been marvellous it does take the strain out of a long journey, we stayed at a site near Bridgenorth which isn't far from his garage unit, we went for a walk for a couple of hours and it was fitted when we came back. Very satisfied customers :-D

We had C.C. fitted to our Compass Calypso by Dave Newell 3 years ago.It has been totally reliable & a pleasure to use. Best accessory we have had fitted to our MH. As the poster above we also stayed at a site near Bridgenorth which isn't far from his garage unit. Would recommend Dave without hesitation.

Archived