DPF Clarification

Brock

Moved the van on the drive and 'Check Engine' warning light came on. My garage said the DPF sensor was working at 425 degrees and not 500+ degrees so they replaced it. All's well now and I've never had reason to question the garage's work.

I do find their spoken words contradictory as if they make it up on the spot, don't talk to each other, and tell me what they think I want to hear (a common trait in the service sector across the board). The mechanic also said I had 25% soot in the DPF but a good thrash down the motorway would clear that, and the sensor failed 60 miles ago.

The fuel consumption on the last trip was 27mpg which is 10% less than normal but it was a windy day.

The first 20 miles or so of any trip we take is on motorway at about 50-56mph but use cross country roads thereafter. I use the Comfortmatic almost all the time so the van runs within a narrow band of rpm unless I rev it hard.

I have three questions which, when answered, will increase my knowledge. I'm not into bashing the garage.

1. How sensible is what the garage says?

2. Apart from fuel consumption and performance, which don't seem to be a guide unless excessive, how can I tell how well the DPF is performing?

3. What can cause the DPF sensor to fail other than natural wear and tear.

Regarding your Qustions 2 & 3...

This link may be helpful

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/motorhome-advice-diesel-particulate-filters

but there are plenty more

https://tinyurl.com/yczcgnc3

What your garage told you seems ’sensible’ enough to me.

Personally, if I were informed that a "DPF sensor was working at 425 degrees and not 500+ degrees” I’d want to know how the speaker knew this to be the case - similarly for the "25% soot in the DPF”. But if the explanations then given were convincing I’d accept them.

It’s generally understood that driving a DPF-equipped diesel engined vehicle gently at low revs invites DPF sooting up, so the advice to give your vehicle “a good thrash down the motorway” would not be unusual.

Archived