DVLA FORM D2?

fesspark

Hello again is there anyone familier with filling in the D2 form to obtain a upgraded licence to 3.850 ton from the standard 3.5 ton, I am over 75 and need to update my licence,and the left side of the first page of the form is a little complicated. Lorry bus C,C1.C1+E.ECT,? Any help out there ? please, I have a limited time to apply so I do not want to send the forms in filled wrong.I have a clean licence and held it for 60 years. Cheers Fesspark

The key category is C1 (or C1+E if you want to tow something with your MH).  You will be entitled to these Categories under the grandfather provsions if you got your full licence before 1997 so you shouldn't need to take a driving test.  If you aren't bothered about a trailer just ask for C1.

Don't forget that you need the medical form too.  There are threads about that (and how to get a cheap and easy medical examination) on this Forum.

If Fesspark has held his licence for over 60 years, is now 75, and is considering applying for a C1 licence, I think he will have had, and then lost (presumably when he turned 70) his C1 (grandfather rights) entitlement. I think what he now wishes to do is to regain his grandfather rights.

I don't know whether he can do that, but have a feeling that, after five years, his only route may be to apply from scratch, which I think will involve taking the full HGV test. If successful, I think he will find that the medical requirements are more rigorous than those to retain grandfather rights, and may involve medicals at two, and not three, year intervals. Failure to pass the medical results, I think, in immediate loss of licence, with the doctor obliged to notify DVLA accordingly. In which case, having a 3,850 kg motorhome that he suddenly can't drive, may be problematic.

I think he'd be wise to take advice on the practical and cost implications of tying himself to that route, and also to ask his doctor for a health check, before committing himself to a vehicle of more than 3,500kg MAM.

Another thing is eyesight test . I would recommend a visit to get your eyes tested as to keep the entitlement you need to read the bottom line of the test card. Like Brian I read the post the same way looks like the entitlement as been given up

It is confusing as most threads are about lorries or busses.

You can renew your C1+E at any age after 70 by booking a medical plus eye test with a taxi/hgv doctor such as doctors on wheels. (£55)

They will fill in all the forms for you and usually have spares in case you have the wrong ones.

Book an appointment then check with them that you have the correct forms.

this is a very interesting topic.

Like Brian says, I understood that once you lost (gave up) your right to drive over 3500, you could not get it back. Not sure it's worth the hassle involved , as you would have to have a medical every 3 years , to keep licence, anyway.

Please let us all know , the outcome , as this will be of interest to many coming up to 70 as well. Much too late for us personally , but more than happy to keep to 3500.any way!!

PJay

PS Is there a maximum age for a HGV licence ?

You can renew at any age after 70, the medical takes about 15 minutes. (If you have no issues)

Investigating further it is clear that many official sites are confused about C1 entitlement as most of the gov.uk sites only refer to commercial drivers who have much more stringent tests, and more often.

Are you sure about that?

When I reached age-70 I did not bother to retain my C1 driving-licence entitlement.

This website

http://www.d4drivers.uk/motorhome-medical/

includes the statement

"Category C1 and C1E are known as acquired rights and must be renewed at the age of 70 and every 3 years after this.”

I see there being a difference between “renew” (which implies continuity between the expring licence and its entitlements and the replacement licence) and “regain” (which would indicate that an entitlement has not been held continuously).

If (say) I decide 10 years from now that I’d like to regain my C1 entitlement after not having held it for 13 years, it seems ‘too easy’ somehow that to do this would just involve the normal straightforward ‘renewal’ procedure that you’ve described.

(I’m not arguing with what you’ve said, and I can’t find anything on-line to suggest that there might be a different process to what you’ve advised. And, logically, if I could meet the medical requirements when I’m 83, there’s no obvious reason why I should be denied the C1 entitlement. But I’m still wary of how easy it appears to be to recover the C1 entitlement when it has been ‘lost’ for an open-ended period of time.)

As has been said upthread, the official websites are ambiguous to say the least about renewing a C1. So I asked the DVLA how long a licence would be valid for, assuming medical at 70 OK. Their response was "I can confirm that once you have renewed the licence at the age of 70, you will need to renew your implied entitlement every 3 years".

So, it is renewable every 3 years rather than annually as implied by their website.

Billggski - 2017-11-02 4:58 PM

Their website refers to hgv / PSV licences needing renewal every year, which is the confusion.

C1 renewal refers to "70+" on their information page, not just at 70.

Yes, the timings for a C1 licence renewal are different for drivers who passed their tests before or after 1 January 1997.

Much of the confusion is, as you say, that the official websites mention only lorry and bus drivers under C1 and that leads to us to think that there are different requirements for us motorhome drivers. But the difference is really whether or not you have 'grandfather rights'.

Those who do need only to renew at 70 and for 3 years at a time whereas those who don't need to renew at 45, 50, 55 and 60 and then annually from 65.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this will help, but in case fesspark or anyone else is still unsure of the answer I recently posed a similar question to DVLA.

I have held a full UK driving licence since before 1/1/1997. On reaching 70 in 2013 I decided to retain my "grandfather rights" to drive vehicles exceeding 3.5 tonnes (specifically C1), as I was then driving a motorhome in that category. In 2016, on renewing the licence, and no longer requiring this entitlement, I decided not to maintain the C1 category. I am presently changing vehicle, and suspect that I may need to increase the MAM of the replacement to 3,650kg. Before doing this I shall obviously need to reinstate my C1 entitlement. Is this possible by making an application for a new licence including C1, with the relevant evidence of medical fitness (D4), or shall I need more?

The DVLA reply:

"In order to renew your C1 entitlement, you will need to complete a D2 application form and a D4 medical report.

These can be ordered here . Alternatively, you can get them from selected Post Offices ® that offer driving licence transactions.

You can also download a D4 form online .

Who can complete the D4?

The D4 has to be completed by a doctor and you should ensure that all the relevant questions are completed.

Remember:

No fee is required

If your last licence was an old style paper driving licence you will need to include proof of your identity and a passport standard photograph.

If your last licence was a photocard licence you don’t need to send ID unless you’ve had a change in your name since the last licence was issued.

For information on what ID to send please see the advice here .

Where should I send my application?

DVLA

Swansea

SA99 1BR

How long will it take?

Please allow up to 3 weeks for your updated licence to be sent to you. This can take longer if we need to check your health or personal details.

Please note: You must return your licence with the form, but if you need to use it for Driver Training, we recommend that you don’t include it with your application. You’ll need to return it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1ZW when you receive your new licence.

I trust this information will be of assistance to you."

So, just to be certain I then asked:

Just to clarify one point: do I have to take a further driving test before submitting the completed D4?

Thank you again

The DVLA reply:

"I can confirm no further test is required.

I hope this information is of assistance."

So, apparently, under my circumstances, all I shall need is to take (and by implication pass :-)) the eye test and medical, and send those off with the application and my existing licence, and my C1 entitlement should be reinstated.

However, I don't know whether this would be true for someone who had never obtained the C1 extension on reaching 70 before letting it lapse, and I haven't yet done this, so can't verify that the above advice is completely reliable! :-D

Brian, I realise that you like to dot the "i"s and cross all the "t"s, but didn't we all get C1 etc added to our licences automatically if we had a licence before 1997, i.e. without having to ask for them? The DVLA records will show this, hence reinstatment after the age of 70 only requires the medical and optical evidence?

So it seems, Stuart, but I didn't know that until it was confirmed to me by DVLA, so I didn't want to give fesspark an answer based on speculation. After all, what seems logical at first sight is no guide to what government ends up authorising! :-) I didn't want to lure the chap (or anyone else) into paying £100 for the medical, only for him to be told after he'd applied that it doesn't work like that!

My earlier response would suggest that even if you didn't keep your C1 entitlement at 70 you only need to have a medical and complete the forms BUT your earlier advice to contact DVLA is the answer for anyone not sure.

I would add do it by email and save the response just in case.

Dave

gdf - 2017-11-22 1:23 PM

My earlier response would suggest that even if you didn't keep your C1 entitlement at 70 you only need to have a medical and complete the forms BUT your earlier advice to contact DVLA is the answer for anyone not sure.

I would add do it by email and save the response just in case.

Dave

I chose not to maintain my driving-licence C1 entitlement when I reached age 70 in 2014.

I recently asked the DVLA to tell me what the procedure would be should I want to reinstate the C1 entitlement when (if!) I reach age 76 (ie. having not held the C1 entitlement for six years).

The DVLA has confirmed that the normal renewal procedure (D2 and D4 forms) would apply irrespective of the length of time I had not held the C1 entitlement.

tomag - 2017-11-22 1:40 PM

Hi Do you have to have an eye test and medical every 3 years foe C1 licence when you pass 70

Yes, but I'm pretty sure you also have to nave passed your driving test before 1/1/'97 for the interval to be 3 years. I think C1 entitlements gained by other means may have a shorter medical/eyesight test interval.

The requirement for a medical to renew of professional HGV-type licences (i.e. Categories C and D) for lorries, buses and minibuses is every five years once you reach the age of 45 and every year once you reach 65.  For C1/D1 (non-professional) licence categories it's every three years from the age of 70.

What isn't clear perhaps is if professional HGV drivers can swap their C or D licence for a C1/D1 (eg when they retire from professional driving and still want to drive a big MH) and so reduce the frequency of medicals to three yearly.  Logically that should be possible.

Before I retired I was a chauffeur, and had to have a medical every 3 years to get my private hire licence. My GP was always able to fill in the forms for me at the normal cost, but I have had some fairly serious heart problems in the past which have to be reported on the forms, and every time I was subsequently required to undergo further tests , I think it was called a Bruce Test, to prove that my heart was still OK, and this involved a simulation on a treadmill to walk briskly uphill for 15 minutes under the supervision of a doctor, and my heart was monitered on the machines. When I reached 75 I realised that I was unlikely to be able to complete the test so I retired. The last test I took cost me £750, and I wasn't prepared to risk failure.at that price.

AGD

Archived