Damp ingress and Swift Warranty

I have had my Swift Bolero 724FB from new. Follow the service plans to the letter. Then what every motorhomer dreads the habitation service in July 2019 dampness, So went to an accredited Swift repairer who I have used in the past in St Hilary Cowbridge Nr Bridgend South Wales. Waited for the ok from Swift and parts. Had it returned all repaired supposedly.

Next habitation service in July 2020. Bad news worse than before. Swift insisted I had to take it back to the repairer.

The owner was very arrogant and rude and in the discussion he said that he doesn't want warranty work as he doesn't make money on it. If I paid for the job myself he would do a better job. Anyway I had to have it fixed with him because Swift insisted that they must repair it.

Had it back not happy with the condition it was given back

Then July 2021 Same again dampness, so Swift said if not happy with repairer take it back to dealer.

Took it back to dealer in May this year because they were fully booked till then had it back in a fortnight.

Had my habitation done in June 2022. Worse than before.

I cannot have legal redress as the contract is between Swift and the repairer.

We have had a very stressful time we don't know where to turn too. We have taken it back to the dealer again. Hope nobody has to go what we have in the last 3 years.

I think you should do one of two things, and possibly both. First, look through all your insurance policies to see if any include legal advice/representation. Second, contact your nearest Citizen's Advice and explain your circumstances to them.

You are right that the warranty is unlikely to enforceable (though I would have thought Swift would want a full explanation of what their preferred repairer, who they presumably paid for their work, had actually done for their money!). However, the dealer who sold you the van is legally liable under Consumer Legislation for defects in goods they sold.

Whether that right has in some way been prejudiced because you have opted to follow the warranty route (from your post, apparently not via the selling dealership) I have no idea. That is why I'm suggesting you consult CA and also look at your insurances as some provide a general legal assistance element that may include legal representation where court action becomes necessary.

Hi,just a chat about the time you are having with dampness i dont't know the severity of your initial and subsequent problem but was aware of damp problems with caravans and nightmare stories, i have a motorhome bought from new and purchased the Dealer level Protimeter Aquant i visually check regularly as i think a small amount of water ingress over a year becomes a problem, i have caught problems early. A local independent caravan, motorhome Hab check man is probably the route to go in the future, sometimes it helps to chat good luck and remember it can be fixed.

Archived