Dashboard warning lights

Atwoki

Dashboard warning lights  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My 2003 Fiat Ducato is showing a red flashing warning light that looks like a car with the bonnet open. The instructions say that this means that the automatic transmission fluid is too hot. Since it is a manual I assume that it does not apply to me. Any suggestions as to how to turn this off?

Thanks

Although pre-X250 Ducatos built before mid-2006 COULD have an automatic gearbox, my understanding was that this was rare and only on left-hand drive vehicles (and not as early as 2003).

However, having looked at an April 2005 Ducato Owner Handbook (the earliest available on-line) , I see that there was a warning symbol defined as “AUTOMATIC GEARBOX OIL TOO HOT (red)” as shown on the attached image below.

(I think the symbol is supposed to represent a gear-lever rather than a car with its bonnet up.)

Obviously - as you rightly say - this warning cannot apply to your manual-transmission Ducato, but it may not be a straightforward matter to extinguish the light if what is causing it to illuminate is a fault like (say) a chafed wire.

Presumably switching the ignition off and on again has no effect, so you may need to contact a Fiat agency or find someone who has the necessary ‘tool’ able to interrogate your Ducato’s software.

symbol.png.de81bb17b541b5fec22d9959a4317ca9.png

According to eLearn for the X244 the automatic transmission temperature warning light is controlled by the automatic transmission ECU. Its default behaviour is to illuminate for 4 seconds when the ignition is energised and then extinguish provided that no faults are present (self test).

As Derek says, if you have a manual gearbox then you should not have an automatic transmission ECU and the light should neither illuminate during the instrument cluster self test or for any other reason. I don't know for certain, but I would question whether it should even be present on a manual gearbox vehicle at all.

I wonder whether the instrument cluster could have been replaced at some stage during the life of the vehicle, and a different version intended for an automatic transmission vehicle fitted?

Alternatively, might some work or repairs have been carried out resulting in the wrong warning lamp illuminating? I know it sounds odd, but many years ago I had to repair a Skoda owned by my father in law. He had attempted to replace a failed bulb on the instrument cluster and having refitted it to the car, the warning lights were all over the place - main beam warning lamp illuminating when the right indicator was on, generator warning lamp signalling something else entirely, etc. It took me ages to sort out as it was before the use of multiplugs and for some reason known only to Skoda none of the cluster wiring was colour coded!

Anyway, that's by the by, but it might be that the lamp is actually signalling something other than appears from the lamp symbol?

Thanks for the ideas. I have owed the vehicle for 9 years and instrument cluster appears to be original. The fuses relating to automatic transmission are not fitted and turning ignition on and off have no effect. All other functions appear normal.

Hi all,

On pre 2006 Ducato's the primary cause of erroneous warning lights including a lamp being illuminated for a feature that is not present is corrosion or just dirt under the engine bay fuse board.

The cover needs to be removed and then using a pair of flat screwdrivers; push the tabs so that the fuse board pivots up. You will probably find it to be very dirty (even a bit mouldy). Spray it with some electrical contact cleaner and give it a wipe.

Don't be surprised if one of the studs securing the lid breaks. As long as one of them remains usable this will be sufficient to secure it later.

If this does not solve the problem then i am afraid you have a wiring short in either the main engine loom or the loom from the ECU to the instrument panel. This could be difficult to diagnose so the other option is to remove the instrument cluster and remove or cover the warning lamp. This is not ideal because the wiring issue will probably spill over into another system which you are not yet aware of but it will prevent any arguments with MOT testers for now.

N

No luck with the fuse cluster. They did not appear to be corroded but sprayed some cleaner just in case..

I have moved onto the instrument pod and can remove the front bolts to get it to pivot up but how do you unclip the steering wheel side?.

Thanks

I have just checked on my 2006 x244 Ducato. Towards steering wheel two symetrically placed inserts at either corner. LHS one carrries headlight height adjuster. Carefully prise out, and unplug adjuster. Screws under these inserts.

Alan

• 2 years later...
I have exactly the same problem on my 2003 FIAT Ducato based Auto Trail motor home (warning light - automatic transmission fluid too hot on a manual transmission vehicle). Did the issue get resolved and if so how? Any advice gratefully received.

The OP of this thread never logged on to the forum again after his last post here. He does however have an email address under his forum profile which you as a registered user should be able to see, so try emailing and asking if he ever resolved the issue.

Keith.

Archived