Do wheel clamps help prevent theft?

birdybiker66

The Bulldog Titan are only available in what I would consider SMALL sizes for MH's.

You may need a Bulldog Centaur CA2000C for the more usual MH tyre sizes.

There is a downloadable sizing chart on this webpage that covers both Titan and Centaur https://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-230f-titan-wheel-clamp/107

I have used a CA2000C for over 14 years as a very visible deterrent and my neighbour who nearly lost his Transit Hymer last week to thieves has just bought one (the thieves left a TIBBE lock pick in his ignition lock when they ran after being spotted).

Keith.

636074054_Bulldogsizes.jpg.45d67de6697551b4b3a335e12aa3ef84.jpg

For blokes with plenty of experience head to;

Wormwood Scrubs Forum, Technical Section.

Clamp Devices Removal, Degree of Difficulty Survey !

Hefty lump those Bulldog Clamps, if touring with it do you have payload and the biceps!

Vulnerable to battery powered angle grinder attack, doubt if it would put off the determined thieving scrote,

but definitely a good visual deterrent, enough to make him think of targeting another vehicle.

Such is the state of things these days, its not rare to hear the likes of disc locks, chains, clamps being angled grinder severed in broad daylight, mbikes in particular, passersby preferring not to notice! At least can be the case in sunny Londoninium.

birdybiker66 - 2022-07-05 3:35 PM

I'm considering a Bulldog titan or similar, has anyone got any experience with wheel clamps? Thankyou, Dave

I assume you want to use this where you store your motorhome rather than for touring? Is that correct?

I can't advise on this particular clamp because I have a removable steering wheel which in my opinion is the best anti- theft device. However If it is just for storage then I would suggest that the more visible devices you can use, then the better the security will be.

Jeremy

birdybiker66 - 2022-07-05 3:35 PM

Do wheel clamps help prevent theft?

Well my insurance company thinks so, and they should know

LV

A simple steering wheel lock or wheel clamp might look ugly, but they are enough to deter even the hardiest criminals. These items typically require noisy drills or saws to cut through, so often act as the best form of defence.

https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/car-security-technology

I haven't got one though, because I can't see myself faffing about with that every time I stop.

So I have microswitches on the door handles which activate the alarm (the door I use is not normally alarmed but they don't know which door)

And I have a secret switch that interrupts the ECU

Because these are things I will actually use.

I have always fitted a steering wheel lock to all my motorhomes as extra security when it is parked at home or when we leave it when out and about or even when on a camp site. It does no harm and may have deterred a thief for little outlay. Not sure you will ever stop a determined one but any help to deter a thief is wise surely.

birdybiker66 - 2022-07-06 10:57 AM

Thankyou everyone, I've not heard of a centaur so I'll have a look at them in a minute.

It will be used mainly at home along with a steering lock and tracker, again, thanks, Dave

Dave,

This is the Centaur CA2000C which should fit your MH, do not confuse it with the cheaper CA2000 which most likely will NOT fit,

https://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-ca2000c-centaur-wheel-clamp/109

And I only ever use mine at home, never felt the need to take it with us as we're never far from it when away.

Keith.

After not using any clamps etc on any MH from 2002 we decided recently to purchase a Millenco wheel clamp

I’m happy with the quality, easy to fit in around 30seconds plus the key is alien to any other keys I’ve seen.

Hopefully making that harder to pick.

Den

• 4 weeks later...

Archived