Dogs in motor homes

Annette

The campsite we are currently at in Spain doesn't allow dogs to be left unattended in the Motorhome.

It depends on the dog or dogs. Some will settle down if unaccompanied but some will bark incessantly until their owners return. We experienced the latter and it was most infuriating. We reported the incident to the campsite reception and the dog wasn't even recorded on their records.

It all depends really on how confident you are that the dogs won't inconvenience the enjoyment of other campers if left alone.

Like any responsible owner, you need to consider the dog welfare above everything else.

In hotter weather/climates I would never leave ours unattended for any length of time, you can never be sure how 'toasty' things might get for them.

I would imagine that's blindingly obvious common -sense.....

We have a bijon, the breed are known for requiring company and as such keep the time he is alone down , if the van is relatively cool, the area is safe, we leave our dog in the van for short periods, there is always water on hand, often we are still on site, perhaps in the resteraunt and can check, works for us.. He barks a bit when we leave but settles nicely, and then when we return, try to do a walk first so he,s tired, dogs are different, would be reluctant to be more than walking distance away, perhaps a pub adjacent to the site but not much further.

We have a Hymer A Class and a small Dalmatian bitchand have been touring with her, including abraod, for several years.  Our MH is well insulated and ventilated, so in hot weather we pull the blinds up on the sunny side and leave the roof vents well open and it never seems to be a problem for her.  We have roof aircon but we've never found it necessary to leave that on just for her.  Fortunately our dog just goes to sleep until we return and we have been away for several hours on occasions.  Hopefully she would bark if someone tried to break in.  We leave her plenty of water of course.

We haven't knowingly ever used sites which ban dogs being left alone in camping units and I suppose we might have done.  No-one has ever suggested to us that our dog has been a problem when we've left her alone.

Our dog clearly loves being with us in the MH and has a routine for motorhome life - except that she shows reluctance to leave the MH for a morning pee if it's raining!  She has a remarkable capacity for holding on to her bladder and bowels and never needs a break in the night - much better than us!

Thank you for your help. Our dogs mean everything to us so we would never leave them alone if we didn't.t have to. That is why we have bought a motor home to benefit them as well. We take them everywhere but just sometimes we need to leave them because the pub or cafe will not let us in and I have never left them in a car , hence buying a motor home so they feel more at home with space ,water and food etc left down for them.

I was asking about leaving them because we have never left them in a car and they mean everything to us l wanted them to feel comfy and have all their needs catered for hence we have now bought a motor home to suit our dogs????I really wanted to ask if motor homes stayed cool and comfy.

A decent van will be cooler than your average car..but how cool (and comfortable) it actually is for a dog will obviously depend on the weather outside...

As others have said, it's also how your dog may behave whilst being left shut in that matters....

Unless folk are never straying outside of their dog's barking/yapping/howling range or they are routinely videoing their dogs when they leave them, just how on earth do they know what their dog gets up to when being left?.. :-S

Hi,

Ki, our GSD dog had never been alone. When the GSD bitch died, soon followed by the cat, he became very upset if we left him at home. But he was quite happy to settle in our Land Rover, parked in the street, while we were in the cinema. When a friend got married, he happily spent five hours in the Land Rover parked in our back lane. Heat was not a factor on either occasion.

Our rescue dog, Blitz, would destroy anything and everything if left at home alone ... starting with the toilet roll. We never tried leaving him in the car, apart from one time we left him in his travel box .... he shredded the bedding. His bladder seemed to be still comfortable after 17 hours. Walk at 5PM. Back door opened at 10PM - "I'm not going out in the rain by myself". Back door opened at 7AM - "I'm not going out in the rain by myself! Walk at 10AM .... still not urgent.

Archived