Dometic AES-FH

Jack

Has anyone any suggestions with regards the problem I am experiencing with the fridge. (model No RMT 7655 L)

When the fridge is tuned to operate on gas it has in the past intermingling not fire-up, this could happen either on auto or when turned on manually. It currently will not fire-up at all on gas; I can hear the gas trying to light. All the other functions work satisfactory again auto or manually.

Many thanks,

Stew

Although you can (presumably) hear the gas-igniter ‘firing’, that does not mean that gas is necessarily reaching the burner. If the gas-jet is blocked, or debris is clogging the burner, no (or insufficient) gas will be present at the burner for the igniter to light. There’s also the possibility that there’s a problem with the gas-valve that is opened electrically to allow the gas through.

When was your fridge/freezer last serviced? If failure to light on gas has been occurring intermittently in the past, ‘sweeping’ the gas-flue, cleaning the burner assembly and (perhaps) replacing the gas-jet may provide a cure.

(The Dometic RM7605 non-AES fridge/freezer fitted to my previous Hobby motorhome went through a phase of intermittently failing to relight on gas. There were a couple of wires that (if I remember correctly) plugged into a ‘black box’ towards the base of the appliance and (in my my Hobby’s case) were accessible when the lower exterior ventilation grille was removed. One of these wires seemed to me to be a loose fit and, after I had addressed this, the failing to relight stopped. It could well have been coincidence, but it might be worth you checking that there are no loose electrical connections.)

Thanks for your response Derek...helpful information. Not sure when a thorough clean/check was last done but that seem a reasonable issue to investigate first of all. Will also have a look for any dodgy connections.

Most of the failures we see of the Gas to Ignite when you can hear the 'clicking' of the spark are usually down to Soot build up. This, can be minimised (we think) by running the Fridge 'on Gas' every couple of months for at least 8 hours to get the burner really hot. Running the Fridge on Gas for short periods where the burner doesn't get really hot seems to promote 'issues'.

Update

First thanks for the reply regarding the build up of soot.

I intend having the fridge serviced but in the mean time I have had a look for any loose wires none found.

However, what I did find was when I changed over to a full Calor gas bottle the fridge did fire up both on auto and manual settings! Now the other bottle is PLG run through a Gaslow system and there is gas in this bottle shown by the gas change-over valve and the fact that all other gas appliances are working OK.

Once I had the fridge working on gas I changed back to the PLG bottle and at the present time the fridge is working as it should.

Any ideas why this should be the case?

Oops spoke to soon! Left the fridge running on gas overnight (to let it get hot) came to check this morning and it had failed. So changing over to Calor seems to have been just an example of the intermittent nature of the problem. Back to square one it seems.

Archived