Dometic Freshjet 2200 aircon - Won't Start

odysseus

Hi all

I have a Dometic Freshjet 2200 (2016) fitted to a same year Rapido 7090FF. It was already fitted to the van when I bought it last November and I am sure it was all working then.

The problem is that I can get it to standby (orange panel light) but when I try to get it to turn on either via the remote or via the unit's panel, it clicks but the panel light goes to green for a miillisecond and then straight to steady red. Nothing happens on the ac unit at all - no fan whatsoever.

There is power getting to the unit as I can switch its courtesy lights on and off.

My local garage have suggested that it might be the element but cannot guarantee that and it would cost circa £300 to find out with no comeback if it isn't. There doesn't appear to be any garages within a 100 mile radius of me (Cambridge) who will touch Dometic so this forum is my last try before I consider taking the unit out and replacing with a fan!!

Any guidance/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

I assume it is a 240 volt unit so is it wired so that it only works when on EHU or do you have an inverter fitted? A bit more info would help here. In either case are you possibly suffering from low voltage?

Keith.

Hi Keith - it is indeed wired for 240v only (no inverter). I have taken the cowling off and there are no obstructions and the fan runs freely when I spin it. I do have an ongoing problem with low voltage on an adjacent 12v socket in the bedroom but as the ac is wired for EHU only, I had dismissed low voltage on it. However, I can't seem to find the fuse this is wired into - I expected to find it in the cab fuse box but it wasn't and the engine fuse box is difficult to get to.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Keith - it is indeed wired for 240v only (no inverter). I have taken the cowling off and there are no obstructions and the fan runs freely when I spin it. I do have an ongoing problem with low voltage on an adjacent 12v socket in the bedroom but as the ac is wired for EHU only, I had dismissed low voltage on it. However, I can't seem to find the fuse this is wired into - I expected to find it in the cab fuse box but it wasn't and the engine fuse box is difficult to get to.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

If the 12 volt socket you are referring to is a Rapido fitment then it will not be fused in the chassis/engine fuse boxes but in a separate fuse box added by Rapido. This may be in a cupboard or even under the bed and most likely will incorporate both 12 volt and 240 volt fuses/circuit breakers.

Thanks Keith - yes, aware that Rapido have another fuse box in garage but predominantly for 12v circuits. However, double-checked the two 240v trip switches and all ok. So, at a bit of a dead end I'm afraid and with the distinct lack of Dometic support/engineers (at least in the South) I think this might be an ac removal job! :-(

Thanks for you help though :-D

Cheers

Rob

Having looked at Dometic's website regarding dealers why not consider speaking to the folk down in Portsmouth. If it sounds as if they know what the problem might be then get your vehicle booked in there and make a long weekend of it. That area of Hampshire is very nice, including the New Forest.

Any decent fridge engineer will be able to diagnose the problem.

Check the circuit board for burnt tracks or burned out relays or hot spade connectors.

Pull the 3 wires off the compressor and see if the unit will stay on then. (be careful they don't touch anything)

Meter the compressor windings, they should read low resistance between all 3

Thanks Steve - which place in Portsmouth are you referring to? I can only see dealers on the Dometic website and as I mentioned, I have phoned around several of them (admittedly not the Portsmouth ones) and none of them now deal with Dometic ACs.

Cheers

Rob

According to Dometic's website you have: Southdowns Motorhome Centre, Portsmouth, PO03 5UH. tel: +44 23 9240 1821, or Harbour Creek Motorhomes, Hayling Island, PO11 0QG. tel: +44 23 9246 1968.

Personally I'd try Southdowns first.

I really wouldn't bother with dometic (unless it's under warranty) the manufacturers tend to recruit employees from refrigeration companies and they usually leave because they are crap and have the gift of the gab. Look up your local refrigeration company, no guarantee you'll get somebody clued up but you'll be in with a better chance IMO

Thanks Charles

I have to say that you're not the first to mention Dometic's reputation - I emailed them a week asking for advice on the issue or where I could get their help but no reply.

I will try to find someone locally but |I think it's a lost cause TBH.

Cheers anyway

With ours the remote control has a setting for the fan only, i you select this before turning the unit on you may find the fan will run as it is not linked to the compressor. If the fan runs its a start then try the heating setting if you have one. We have the same model in our 2019 A class Burstner. The unit was supplied and fitted by Southdowns.

Archived