Dometic Fridge Freezer 2014 Autotrail Apache

Haybob

Hi, I wonder if you can help. As newbies to motorhomes we used ours a couple of months ago when the outside temp was about 25 degrees. The Dometic fridge felt cool but nothing froze in the freezer. The freezer was cooler than the fridge but meat therein did not freeze. The fridge was on for a day before.

Just wondered if this was typical as we are planning to go away again, although the temp will be about 12 degrees during the day.

The seals on the door are good and it seems to run fine, just didn't freeze goods in the freezer!!!

Thanks

Was your fridge on mains electric?

We find that the fridge freezer isn't great for freezing large quantities of food at the one time but will cope with maintaining frozen food and then additional non-frozen items put in. Try to avoid stocking your whole fridge and freezer up with room temperature items as in our experience it'll take ages to cool. We tend to put food that's already frozen into the freezer.

Check how effective your freezer is by filling an ice tray and sticking it in the freezer to see how long it takes to freeze.

Cheers

David

A fridge of any type must be able to dissipate heat from its self to work well , so if the ambient temperature around it is high it cannot cool its self, it needs plenty of air flow around it to work correctly, some folks fit fans at the fridge exterior to cool it down thus making it more efficient.

Hi Vindiboy, with us considering a mix of wild camping and hook up on sites, a fan may drain the leisure batteries when not hooked up. I'm guessing the fan would need to be fitted at the rear of the unit too. Like most ours is all enclosed, so I assume a fan would be installed by accessing the rear of the fridge via the external fridge vents. I'll see how we get on with this cooler weather and the other tips forwarded. Thanks for the advice.

Archived