Dometic GY20 mushroom vent

Bolly1965

The Dometic instructions are less than informative (though there is reference to closing the vent under certain conditions in a marine environment).

A combination of comments on the web, and a perusal of the cutaway drawing on the installation instructions imply that the vent can be opened/closed via a push/pull action on the central knob (push up for open, pull down for closed). (and if you break it in trying, I won't be held responsible ;-) )

....I think I would also be careful. :-(

Various sets of sales literature refer to the vent as being "A passive ventilator with easy push/pull closing action".

The sample installation/operating dowloadable instructions here:

http://www.dometicmanuals.com/PROD%5CMASTERDometic.nsf/by+PNC/EF11D7D2D8884659C125700C002C359E?opendocument

refer to being able to close it (particularly in the marine environment, but don't show how).

The accompanying cutaway drawing, however, indicates that a push/pull action on the centre knob would probably move the internal "mushroom" of the vent, opening or closing the aperture.

Good luck!

• 2 years later...
I have just had a similar issue with my recently purchased 53 plate Bessacarr E745. - My vent is permanently stuck open. Investigation reveals an additional circlip attached to the plastic shaft. The unit has to be removed (6 screws to the main body and 3 for the casing) then the circlip can be removed simply by prying off with a screwdriver. Be careful though, with age comes fragility. I suspect the circlip was added to keep the vent open at all times for air circulation. Keep on Truckin'

This document (published September 2013) for Dometic GY20/GY21 roof vents

http://td.dometicgroup.com/_pdf/gy20-21-eb-16s-01.pdf

says

"Opening and closing the roof vent

- Turn the cover cap anti-clockwise to close the vent.”

As it is also advised that "The roof vent must always be open when used in a caravan”, you may well be right to suspect that a circlip was added to the plastic shaft at some stage to prevent caravan/motorhome owners from closing the vent by moving the central knob.

Archived