Dometic micro heki roof light

trialsrider

Hi there

I'm going to fit a dometic micro heki in my campervan. I only have a limited roof space due to my lighting configuration on the ceiling. The dometic micro heki looks the best option for the 280mm aperture as it comes with flyscreen and black out blind built in. They come in two versions. One with forced ventilation and the other without. I've been informed that the only differences between these two variants is that the non vented one has a seal around the inner dome and the vented one doesn't. Is this really the case ? On most vented roof lights you can see the ventilation holes built into the frame. So I'm thinking if this actually is the case I may as well get the non vented one and just remove the seal should I want it to be vented. Can anybody confirm this is the case ? Anybody got one in their van ?

fesspark - 2018-07-17 2:04 PM

We have a vented one in our new Burstner 680 ixeo g if I can help, reply,its above the shower cubicle fesspark

Can you see any vents in it ? The bigger dometic roof lights I've had in previous Motorhomes have all had mesh like vents built into the frame.

Out of interest what color is yours ? On the dometic website they look grey.

Gareth,

Is your die already thrown? Thinking outside the box, if your lights are not long strips, would it be possible to do without one and position a larger rooflight e.g. 400 x 400 to cover the hole? You would get about twice the ventilation and daylight.

Alan

I can't be definitive about the micro-heki, but the mini-heki is of a (very) similar design and construction.

The ventilated and non-ventilated versions of the mini-heki differ only in the addition of a seal in a "u-trough" on the fixed part of the vent.

On the ventilated version, a thin lip on the rooflight drops into that trough, but without the seal, it doesn't reach the bottom, and being of narrower profile than the trough it provides an air route all the way round.

On the non-ventilated version, the trough is essentially filled by the seal, and the lip closes down onto it, removing any airflow.

From pictures, I would say they (mini and micro) function similarly.

(I've converted a ventilated mini-heki to a non-ventilated version on more than one occasion - the seals for the mini version being readily available as spares).

Alanb - 2018-07-17 5:54 PM

Gareth,

Is your die already thrown? Thinking outside the box, if your lights are not long strips, would it be possible to do without one and position a larger rooflight e.g. 400 x 400 to cover the hole? You would get about twice the ventilation and daylight.

Alan

I did think the same but decided I would just keep the lights as they were. It is only a swb Citroen relay tin top camper so I think the micro heki should be perfect. It currently has no roof light at all so this should be a huge improvement.

Robinhood - 2018-07-17 6:14 PM

I can't be definitive about the micro-heki, but the mini-heki is of a (very) similar design and construction.

The ventilated and non-ventilated versions of the mini-heki differ only in the addition of a seal in a "u-trough" on the fixed part of the vent.

On the ventilated version, a thin lip on the rooflight drops into that trough, but without the seal, it doesn't reach the bottom, and being of narrower profile than the trough it provides an air route all the way round.

On the non-ventilated version, the trough is essentially filled by the seal, and the lip closes down onto it, removing any airflow.

From pictures, I would say they (mini and micro) function similarly.

(I've converted a ventilated mini-heki to a non-ventilated version on more than one occasion - the seals for the mini version being readily available as spares).

Many thanks for your response. Very helpful and answers my question perfectly. Could the seals be added or removed with ease or does it require quite a lot of disassembly?

What colour do they come in too please ?

For the mini, it's a length of grey EPDM/rubber just like the picture here:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ventilation/caravan-roof-vent/dometic-heki-rooflights/dometic-mini-heki-plus-rooflights-plus-spare-parts/dometic-mini-heki-plus-rooflight-seal

It simply pushes into the "trough" all round, remains there as an 'interference fit', and provides a "seat" for the lip on the rising part (when closed).

(The exploded diagram on the link shows it, but really isn't much help in identifying how/where it fits).

An easy job, if mildly fiddly on an already mounted rooflight. I can't imagine it would be difficult to fish it out, unless someone has gone to the length of glueing it in.

Robinhood - 2018-07-17 9:21 PM

For the mini, it's a length of grey EPDM/rubber just like the picture here:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ventilation/caravan-roof-vent/dometic-heki-rooflights/dometic-mini-heki-plus-rooflights-plus-spare-parts/dometic-mini-heki-plus-rooflight-seal

It simply pushes into the "trough" all round, remains there as an 'interference fit', and provides a "seat" for the lip on the rising part (when closed).

(The exploded diagram on the link shows it, but really isn't much help in identifying how/where it fits).

An easy job, if mildly fiddly on an already mounted rooflight. I can't imagine it would be difficult to fish it out, unless someone has gone to the length of glueing it in.

Thanks for that

My Rapido has a current-model Mini Heki rooflight.

It has a ‘partial’ rubber seal in the trough Robinhood mentions, with the seal crossing the front of the rooflight’s base and extending halfway along each side.

Presumably this arrangement is standard - ie. that an unvented Mini Heki has the seal right round the trough and the vented version has the half-seal arrangement.

Advertising photos of the Micro Heki show a seal right round the rooflight for both vented and unvented verions, but such photos are not trustworthy. As Robinhood says, it’s likely that Mini and Micro Hekis use a similar sealing/ventingprinciple, so if there were minimal/no price difference between an unvented and vented version of the Micro rooflight, I’d opt for the unvented version as the seal should be easy to remove completely or partially.

Archived