Dornafield Devon

Violet1956

We are thinking about going down to Devon next week for a few days with our MH. Has anyone been to Dornafield Campsite recently? If so, was it as good as it looks on the website/ any drawbacks? We went there with our first dodgy old caravan when the kids were young and we both fancy a trip down memory lane and hopefully some Devon weather. :-)

Hi We stayed there at beginning of June. Sanitary block was excellent. The shop was a bit lacking although you could order bread and newspapers. There was a fish and chip shop open twice a week. We had to use taxis as it was such a walk to the bus stop and extremely narrow. Fine if you are fit to walk the distant to the stop. We had Ogwell taxis. They were very good. We wouldn't go again simply because it is a pain to get up to the main road. It is more suited to people who leave their caravans on site all season and there were many of them. When we were there I counted 7 motorhomes which included us and our 2 friends units.

The week before we stayed at Oakfield Site, Sidmouth. That was a very nice site just along from the Donkey Sanctuary. There was a Hopper bus from outside the gate which ran hourly into Sidmouth where you could catch buses to other towns. There was a well stocked shop and café serving good food.

Much preferred that site.

Hi We stayed there at beginning of June. Sanitary block was excellent. The shop was a bit lacking although you could order bread and newspapers. There was a fish and chip shop open twice a week. We had to use taxis as it was such a walk to the bus stop and extremely narrow. Fine if you are fit to walk the distant to the stop. We had Ogwell taxis. They were very good. We wouldn't go again simply because it is a pain to get up to the main road. It is more suited to people who leave their caravans on site all season and there were many of them. When we were there I counted 7 motorhomes which included us and our 2 friends units.

The week before we stayed at Oakfield Site, Sidmouth. That was a very nice site just along from the Donkey Sanctuary. There was a Hopper bus from outside the gate which ran hourly into Sidmouth where you could catch buses to other towns. There was a well stocked shop and café serving good food.

Much preferred that site.

Hi all

We spent 1 night at Dornafield,also in June and it was wet. However the site was the best we stayed on that week. Brilliant pitch with your grey/black waste, water and hookup right beside your MoHo, result! Good shower block,radio 2 plays in the background, toilets are separate next door, but all are super clean. We walked to the main road just to get to the pub for himself to test the beer!!. Yes it is narrow, but ok if you walk on the side of oncoming traffic. Took us 10-15 mins, and I have recently recovered from a broken ankle. Definitely would not walk that road after dark but himself says they 'keep a good pint' and the menu looked good. We will definitely return

We are a 6m Burstner and managed the entrance without a hitch.

Enjoy X

Hi all

We spent 1 night at Dornafield,also in June and it was wet. However the site was the best we stayed on that week. Brilliant pitch with your grey/black waste, water and hookup right beside your MoHo, result! Good shower block,radio 2 plays in the background, toilets are separate next door, but all are super clean. We walked to the main road just to get to the pub for himself to test the beer!!. Yes it is narrow, but ok if you walk on the side of oncoming traffic. Took us 10-15 mins, and I have recently recovered from a broken ankle. Definitely would not walk that road after dark but himself says they 'keep a good pint' and the menu looked good. We will definitely return

Enjoy X

Hi all

Enjoy X

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. The information you have provided has been most helpful. We have booked it and now looking forward to it. I think the OH plans to just leave the site in the MH rather than use any other form of transport to get around. We'll see how that goes. We did that a lot in Suffolk recently but Suffolk roads are a lot easier to negotiate in a MH than those in Devon.

Apart from commute and school run times the half mile walk to the Two Mile Oak is reasonably quiet and pretty level.

The more or less hourly Denbury Newton Abbot. bus route is actually closer along a very quiet lane but Ia m not sure if it only picks up at stops. For timetable see : http://www.denbury.net/buses.html

Leaving the site walk to the Two Oak to Denbury lane and turn left for a few yard across the road and the lane is off right heading north and then its 600 yards to this bus route.

For more buses see :http://www.countrybusdevon.co.uk/timetables/177.pdf`

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/South%20West/x64_200915.pdf

From Newton abbot there is a 12 every ten minutes to Torquay, Paignton, Brixham Its probably the easiest way for the Paignton to Kingswear steam railway. Now that Kingskerswell has been bypassed it actually keeps fair time.

• 2 weeks later...
Well we're back. Lovely campsite, staff and facilites as described by those who responded. I think it is more suitable for tuggers or motorhomers with additional transport such as a motorbike/towed car. It is also now very large and a bit like living on a housing estate. The convenience of having excellent facilites and the manicured layouts may suit some and I can understand why but we are perhaps a little too boho to fully appreciate this kind of set up. Would be great for families with young kids in a caravan as we were when we last visited it in the 90s. Taxis weren't suitable for us because of our dog. We left the site each day in the van to go wandering. Those Devon lanes with frequent single track bits even on A roads can be very scary in a MH. I know now why people buy those expensive wing mirror protectors.

Archived