Dover overnight parking

Barcobird

Going across the Channel on Sunday and have noticed from other postings that the Canterbury Park & Ride on New Dover Road seems a good bet.

Has anyone stayed recently and can confirm its still operational for Motorhomes, no height barriers introduced, and if it's fairly quiet through the night (sleep time)

Hi, we stayed at Canterbury a few weeks ago. The pricing has recently changed.it used to be £3 per 24hr stay,regardless of what time you arrived. Now it is £3 before 4pm for that day (up till midnight ) or £1 if you arrive after 4pm. We got there about 4.30pm and left at 5am the next day and so cost us £4. Don't forget we can't get into the carpark after 8.30 pm but can exit at any time.

Bulletguy - 2017-03-24 8:03 PMChannel View Roadhttp://oi66.tinypic.com/2vdrvxx.jpgJust a three minute drive from the Port and *so far* amazingly remained totally free. Brilliant views too! Mh's and HGV's use it so it's first come first served for a space.

Looking at this road on Google Earth you get a different impression - lots of yellow lines and lots of lorries and local vehicle parked along a road to nowhere in an industrial area.

StuartO - 2017-03-25 9:04 AM
Bulletguy - 2017-03-24 8:03 PMChannel View Roadhttp://oi66.tinypic.com/2vdrvxx.jpgJust a three minute drive from the Port and *so far* amazingly remained totally free. Brilliant views too! Mh's and HGV's use it so it's first come first served for a space.

Looking at this road on Google Earth you get a different impression - lots of yellow lines and lots of lorries and local vehicle parked along a road to nowhere in an industrial area.

Not a great place to park but where else is there in Dover?I've always found a space there because you can get a motorhome in spaces the lorries have to pass by. On a slight hill and not particularly quiet, but not too bad because what you hear is a constant roar from the main road you can get used to.

StuartO - 2017-03-25 9:04 AM

I've no idea why you get a "different" impression........seeing as the image i posted was taken off Google Earth!! :-S

It's double yellowed up one side and the best part to head for is where that motorhome in the image is parked up. Excellent views of the sea, hence the name, and surrounding area. It's good enough for me for an overnight and beats stuffing money into Dover Council who don't want us.

dougal - 2017-03-26 10:19 AM

Hi all

Do not forget Dover sea front where you can overnight for free after 18.00. (lol)

If Marine Parade then from memory you need to be gone by 8am. That's a favourite hotspot for jobsworth "parkies" desperate to reach their daily target.

Bulletguy - 2017-03-26 7:16 PM

Hi all

Do not forget Dover sea front where you can overnight for free after 18.00. (lol)

If Marine Parade then from memory you need to be gone by 8am. That's a favourite hotspot for jobsworth "parkies" desperate to reach their daily target.

You can stay and park, after 8.00am ish, but need to pay and display.

Barcobird - 2017-03-26 11:51 AM

Hi all

I bet that's nice and quiet on a Saturday night (lol)

Dougal is right, the sea front (Marine Parade) is still a good place to park if you need and early ferry, ie before 0830 am. With all the A20 road works going on in Dover getting onto Marine Parade has changed. I don't think you can access it from the last roundabout east bound on the A20. In November 2016 you had to go too the A20/A2 port entrance roundabout and head west away from the car ferry port and enter by the narrow little slip road on your left and exit the same way, which means heading west on the A20 for some distance before you can turn but it is nice and quiet. PS. I hope I this is information helps and is not to miserable for you. (lol)

keninpalamos - 2017-03-27 7:24 AM
Barcobird - 2017-03-26 11:51 AM
dougal - 2017-03-26 10:19 AMHi allDo not forget Dover sea front where you can overnight for free after 18.00. (lol)
I bet that's nice and quiet on a Saturday night (lol)
Dougal is right, the sea front (Marine Parade) is still a good place to park if you need and early ferry, ie before 0830 am. With all the A20 road works going on in Dover getting onto Marine Parade has changed. I don't think you can access it from the last roundabout east bound on the A20. In November 2016 you had to go too the A20/A2 port entrance roundabout and head west away from the car ferry port and enter by the narrow little slip road on your left and exit the same way, which means heading west on the A20 for some distance before you can turn but it is nice and quiet. PS. I hope I this is information helps and is not to miserable for you. (lol)

As of a couple of weeks ago all the roundabouts on the A20 have gone replaced by lights. Plus there is no access across the swing bridge towards the clock tower (Union Street, that road is shut due to the redevelopment of the Western Docks. They are removing the swing bridge entirely. The only way to the front now is through the width restricted access (cast iron bell bollards) coming West from the Eastern Docks or the next LH turn, Wellesley Rd. There is also a weight limit of 3500Kg for overnight parking and no caravans.

If you are 3500Kg or under, the best bet is not Marine Parade but up Waterloo Crescent to the Esplanade as this is now a dead end as the Swing bridge is closed. 

Three years ago when we went with a caravan we just checked in at the ferry company the night before with our van and the nice girlie directed us to somewhere quiet we could park up and have a kip before our 6:00 ferry. Free and secure of course. Don't know if you can still do that, but if not you might get offered an earlier ferry instead. Again, if they do offer you an earlier ferry but want to charge, just say no and you'll probably get it f.o.c. anyway

ColinM50 - 2017-03-27 11:45 AMThree years ago when we went with a caravan we just checked in at the ferry company the night before with our van and the nice girlie directed us to somewhere quiet we could park up and have a kip before our 6:00 ferry. Free and secure of course. Don't know if you can still do that, but if not you might get offered an earlier ferry instead. Again, if they do offer you an earlier ferry but want to charge, just say no and you'll probably get it f.o.c. anyway

They have limited space for parking ahead of your ferry booking within Dover Docks but whenever we've rolled up three or four hours early they've always solved it by offering an earlier ferry crossing at the times we've been crossing.  Mind you that hasn't been peak season.

I suspect they will probably always bend with the wind and let you cross early and I like the tip about decling to pay eaxtra for an early crossing to encourage them to do so.

I've had a look at parking on the Esplanade at Dover but never found it attractive.  Used a Town Centre car park once to do a bit of emergency shopping and that was a performance - Dover is not at all motorhome friendly.  Even the Tesco Extra on the A2 approach to Dover is a bit tight for a motorhome with trailer!

At least if you cross early there are places to grab some sleep on the French side if necessary.

• 4 months later...

I've done all the Kent coast and found Dover the worst place to park by far - it sits in a valley at the foot of a cliff so there is very little land area and a lot crammed into it,

If you can go along the coast in either direction - Folkestone is OK, Deal - Margate - Herne Bay better still with unrestricted seafront parking either side of the town centres. :-D

Billggski - 2017-08-01 8:09 AM

We always make our first stop over the channel, the holiday has started, there are far more places to stop which actually welcome moho's, and you can buy your fresh croissants and baguettes! Bon voyage!

Nice thought if you don't live hundreds of miles from the port or have an early crossing booked. ?? (lol)

Archived