Downloadable route for The Romantic Road

Way2Go

In September, Mrs Way2Go and I are off to Southern Germany.  We thought we might take in some of the Romantic Road as we've heard that it’s very nice and takes in some beautiful scenery.

We've sent off to the German Tourist Board and they sent us back a map showing the 'Die Romantische Straße'.  As the route takes many twists and turns with frequent changes of roads, and we don't want to spend the journey map reading, I've converted the route into a GPS itinerary which I now offer up as a download for anyone who wishes to have a copy.

The two files below represent the journey from north to south or from south to north and are in a TomTom .ITN format and consist of a series of waypoints.  The waypoints are not places to stop they are merely invisible points on the route which your GPS device should travel over.  The reason for using waypoints is to select various points to force the device to plot your chosen route as opposed to the shortest or quickest route.

The whole journey is some 221 miles and there are no stopping places logged in as we thought it would be better to choose where to stop and stay as long as we liked.  You don't have to follow the whole route and can join where you like and leave where you like.  However, please bear in mind that the itinerary has 24 waypoints.  If you decide to join it somewhere between waypoint 6 and waypoint 7 for example, you will need to tell your device that you have already visited waypoints 1 to 6 otherwise it will send you to the first waypoint.

If you want to convert it into another format grab a FREE copy of ITNConvert from http://benichougps.blogspot.com (click the Union flag for English instructions).

To view the itinerary open ITNConvert > Open (select .ITN file) > Editor.  Using the zoom and Satellite button you can follow the route and see the countryside that the route goes through.

Warning:  I haven't travelled the route and have not yet used the .ITN files as a navigation guide.  The route shown is as faithful as I can be following the map which I was sent.  The download is offered 'as is' and I can't be held responsible if your GPS device interprets a waypoint incorrectly and suddenly sends you up a 5ft wide unprepared track.  If it does send us a picture!

W2G

Romantic Road (N-S).itn

Romantic Road (S-N).itn

Hi Way to Go!!

I'm back on the site after all the good news about Mrs Thai. Many thanks for your kind words earlier.

Back to the thread - As you know, I've covered this part of Germany many times. It is indeed a lovely journey.

Rothenburg O B Tauber is a must stop place. There are some large Stellplatz's on the edge of the walled city.The route from Tauberbiscofsheim via Bad Mergentheim, Weikersheim, Rottingen, Creglingen then into Rothenburg is an absolute gem. Little traffic and some stunning scenery.

There is a nice little site on the outskirts of Dinkelsbuhl.

Nordlingen - stellplatz on the north side by the A25 - is used a lot. Many Italalian's here. the Romantische Strasse is a favourite for them.Nordlingen was where a meteor hit many centuries ago. There is a museum here showing the history of the crater city. Landscape very different as it looks very barren due to the meteor fallout. Further south is Donauworth, there is a lovely campsite in the village of "Eggelstetten" called Donau Lech that we've been using for a number of years now.

Then Augsburg!! Lovely old city, we've wandered around the "Frugerie"- city within a city mainly set up for the very poor.This was done by the rich bankers & merchants many years ago.

Fussen is a lovely part of the world. There are 2 of King Ludwig's castles near here. Hohenschwangau & the more famous one " Neuschwanstein" - used as a model by Disney world. If you have time, try and also see "Linderhof", again built by King Ludwig.

As always - if you need any further info about this area, then please feel free to contact me.

Have a great time, we're going out twice this year.

Thai

Hi Way to Go!!

I'm back on the site after all the good news about Mrs Thai. Many thanks for your kind words earlier.

Back to the thread - As you know, I've covered this part of Germany many times. It is indeed a lovely journey.

Rothenburg O B Tauber is a must stop place. There are some large Stellplatz's on the edge of the walled city.The route from Tauberbiscofsheim via Bad Mergentheim, Weikersheim, Rottingen, Creglingen then into Rothenburg is an absolute gem. Little traffic and some stunning scenery.

There is a nice little site on the outskirts of Dinkelsbuhl.

Nordlingen - stellplatz on the north side by the A25 - is used a lot. Many Italalian's here. the Romantische Strasse is a favourite for them.Nordlingen was where a meteor hit many centuries ago. There is a museum here showing the history of the crater city. Landscape very different as it looks very barren due to the meteor fallout. Further south is Donauworth, there is a lovely campsite in the village of "Eggelstetten" called Donau Lech that we've been using for a number of years now.

Then Augsburg!! Lovely old city, we've wandered around the "Frugerie"- city within a city mainly set up for the very poor.This was done by the rich bankers & merchants many years ago.

Fussen is a lovely part of the world. There are 2 of King Ludwig's castles near here. Hohenschwangau & the more famous one " Neuschwanstein" - used as a model by Disney world. If you have time, try and also see "Linderhof", again built by King Ludwig.

As always - if you need any further info about this area, then please feel free to contact me.

Have a great time, we're going out twice this year.

Thai

Thai Bry - 2008-01-19 9:22 AM

Fantastic news Thai - I'm sure I speak for everyone here by saying how pleased and relieved we are to here your good news . . . . . and welcome back by the way.

Thank you so such for putting some meat on the bones for the area.  The information you sent me regaring the Rhine was spot on, thank you.

Your descriptions of the various places along the Romantische Strasse is really useful and extremely valuable.  Thank you.

Way2Go

Hi Way2Go

Thanks for your Download, we are planning to go to Germany in September and are looking at incorporating the route in to our plans, still in the early stages, but we have 4 weeks to wander where we want. I have converted the route so that I can use MS Autoroute for planning purposes, its easier on a larger screen. Then I can convert and download to Tom Tom when ready.

With the Information I have also received from Thai Bry of a route along the Rhine I can foresee more than one trip to Germany.

Doug.

Hi Trigrem & Way2Go

Just after Landsberg on route 17 - part of the Romantische Strasse - if you have the time and inclination, there is a large lake called "Ammersee".

The wealthy from Munich are in this area, but the views around the lake are beautiful. There are a couple of paddle steamers which criss cross the lake visiting little villages. "Herrsching" is a very popular stop off point and we treated ouseleves to a lovely lunch here last year, whilst watching the people on the lake and the paddle steamers.

One word of caution though - "there is a low railway bridge"- by the village of "DIESSEN", but we got under it in our van which is an A class and not a low profile vehicle, so should not present a problem, but forewarned is forearmed.

A slight detour but well worth a look if you have time, or maybe put it down for another trip. 

Thai

Steamer1.JPG.7aad5e383cf4905e22a703b37ee97bba.JPG

Many thanks for that Thai much appreciated, as usual ;-)

Any information at this stage is extremely welcome as we've never been to the region before but are REALLY looking forward to it.

Any additional information you want to put forth will be just as welcome.

Thank you.

W2G

I would agree with the previous postings that the Romantic Road is a very nice journey, especially Rothenburg and Fussen.

If you prefer a campsite I can recommend 'Tauber-Romantik', just below the town of Rothenburg in the village of Detwang. Very good cycling routes alongside the Tauber also.

RonB - 2008-01-29 11:36 AM  If you prefer a campsite I can recommend 'Tauber-Romantik', just below the town of Rothenburg in the village of Detwang. Very good cycling routes alongside the Tauber also.

Many thanks Ron I'll look into it.

RonB - 2008-01-29 3:41 PM Way2Go I should have made it clear that 'below the town' meant in hight and not below as on a map. The village/site is less than a mile away at approx 49.38669N 10.16940E. Sorry.

Ahh, got ya.  Thanks Ron :-)

trigrem - 2008-01-28 10:53 PM Thanks Thai, all information useful, diversion no problem we are always diverting, in fact I sometimes have trouble getting back to the original route Doug

OK people

Another small diversion off the Romantische Strasse - outside of Donauworth in a town called "Giengen".

What so special you say??

Home of STEIFF teddy bears!! Mary - Mrs Thai Bry - collects the limited edition versions.

Factory shop not as good as you might think, however there is a shop run by 2 lovely old gentlemen - The Wolfe brothers- who have a shop just opposite the main factory.

Piccies attached

Thai

253737442_SteiffBears.JPG.72182515b1932f26b1363fcddbf1d008.JPG

Steiff1.JPG.684ab3e83f1d3836ac0abcb5aa9c261e.JPG

• 7 years later...

hi~~~i register a account, just want to say thank you....i searched many place, want a downloadable map, and finally found yours.

and through your map's help, i took my family successfully drove alone the romantic road, and spend a wonderful time.....

thank you very much

Archived