Driving and the law

Will86

I hear from our daughter that her friends are being booked for 1. using a mobile phone on her lap as a Sat Nav and 2. another for having a different face image on her driving licence and that of herself on the day she was checked ... with glasses / without glasses.

Interestingly my own re-license application form was returned today for correction.

(Bottom Right) Your eyesight ... a and b ... I ticked YES on a ... then YES and NO on b

The reason for the difference was that after two recent cataract ops I can see well with and without glasses but having used them for 70 years plus I feel more comfortable with them on.

Presumably having corrected the official form this qualifies me now to be seen driving both with and without glasses.

Will86 - 2018-01-16 4:01 PM

I hear from our daughter that her friends are being booked for 1. using a mobile phone on her lap as a Sat Nav and 2. another for having a different face image on her driving licence and that of herself on the day she was checked ... with glasses / without glasses...

The booking for using an ‘on lap' phone as a sat-nav is understandable, but I’m guessing that the spectacles-related booking is less simple.

It is permissible for the photograph on a UK photo-card driving licence (as on a UK passport) to show the driver not wearing spectacles, or wearing ordinary ‘clear’ spectacles (but not tinted spectacles or sunglasses). I’ve recently begun to wear spectacles when I drive (when I remember to put them on!!) as I found that my eyes were becoming tired when I had been driving for long periods. I don’t NEED spectacles to meet the UK’s driving vision-criteria, but they sharpen up my vision sufficiently for them to be worthwhile. My photocard licence shows me not wearing glasses, but there’s no offence if I choose to wear them or choose not to.

However, there are many people who are only able to meet the UK driving vision standards by wearing corrective spectacles (or contact lenses) and those spectacles/contacts MUST be worn when driving. That a driver must wear glasses/contacts when driving is indicated in Column 12 on the photocard’s rear by the “01 - eyesight correction, for example glasses or contact lenses” code. So if a policeman inspects a driver’s licence, notes the “01” code and the driver is not wearing spectacles (or contacts) there are grounds for prosecution.

List of Column 12 codes here:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

I recently became70, and had to renew my licence. I wanted to keep the C1 entitlement so had to get a medical and I thought my eye sight was good as I did not require glasses, however the examination included a distance reading test, to pass you must read the very bottom line of the chart which I could not read completely and glasses where going to be required.

Now I can drive and see ok whilst driving my car but my licence now shows code 01 The advice given to me was I should be wearing my glasses at all times when driving any Vehicle including a motorbike even if I think I don’t need them. If stopped by the police and they ask to see my licence and they see code 01 and I am not wearing glasses, then I am committing a driving offence. I have been surprised by the number off fellow motorhomers that are not aware of this.

Using a mobile phone as a Sat nav is ok if it is in a handsfree holder but if you touch it you are committing an offence

Presumably having corrected the official form this qualifies me now to be seen driving both with and without glasses.

I wouldn't bank on it Will. The DVLA system doesn't or won't cater for two different scenarios.

Either you need corrective lenses to drive or you don't, in order to pass the eyesight test for your category of vehicle.

Best of luck but think you're on a hiding to nothing 8-)

It is indeed a crazy system. When I renewed my license I declared correctly that I had to wear glasses when driving. After two cataract operations I no longer need glasses for driving but since my license has not changed I am breaking the law by not wearing useless glasses. I often wear lightly tinted shades so probably I would not be detected even tho’ they are not necessary. I suppose I should contact DVLA ( How ? ) but it seems too much faff for a year or so.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-16 6:21 PM

I hear from our daughter that her friends are being booked for 1. using a mobile phone on her lap as a Sat Nav and 2. another for having a different face image on her driving licence and that of herself on the day she was checked ... with glasses / without glasses...

The booking for using an ‘on lap' phone as a sat-nav is understandable, but I’m guessing that the spectacles-related booking is less simple.

It is permissible for the photograph on a UK photo-card driving licence (as on a UK passport) to show the driver not wearing spectacles, or wearing ordinary ‘clear’ spectacles (but not tinted spectacles or sunglasses). I’ve recently begun to wear spectacles when I drive (when I remember to put them on!!) as I found that my eyes were becoming tired when I had been driving for long periods. I don’t NEED spectacles to meet the UK’s driving vision-criteria, but they sharpen up my vision sufficiently for them to be worthwhile. My photocard licence shows me not wearing glasses, but there’s no offence if I choose to wear them or choose not to.

However, there are many people who are only able to meet the UK driving vision standards by wearing corrective spectacles (or contact lenses) and those spectacles/contacts MUST be worn when driving. That a driver must wear glasses/contacts when driving is indicated in Column 12 on the photocard’s rear by the “01 - eyesight correction, for example glasses or contact lenses” code. So if a policeman inspects a driver’s licence, notes the “01” code and the driver is not wearing spectacles (or contacts) there are grounds for prosecution.

List of Column 12 codes here:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

A bit awkward for a Sidecarrist to put two feet down when riding an Outfit with chassis and fittigs to contend with.

If you are referring to Code 44 (8) (“Seat height allowing the driver, in sitting position, to have two feet on the surface at the same time and balance the motorcycle during stopping and standing”) that clearly won’t be relevant when a sidecar outfit is involved as ‘balancing’ by the rider won’t be necessary.

If Warwick Davis had a driving-licence covering motorcycle riding, it seems likely that his licence would carry the 44 (8) code.

One anomaly about retaining your C1 entitlements after age 70 is that you must have a degree of vision in BOTH eyes whereas up to 70 you need only meet the standard in one eye.

The vision you need in your less good eye is not as high as in your better eye but it seems odd that you must have better vision after your 70th birthday than you had before in order to retain entitlements.

Archived