Driving in France - Recent experience

StuartO

We've just spent several weeks in France and covered quite a few miles - and I noticed some changes.

There are noticeably more speed cameras including a new type which looks like a waist-high white pillbox with a forward facing camera slot, which seems to be used mosty in 70 kph and 50 kph areas, to enforce those more rigorously.  They still mostly seem to give warnings of upcoming speed cameras.

Away from cities and rush hours, traffic density remains markedly lower than in UK and most journeys are therefore a pleasure compared with driving in UK.  Road maintenance is markedly better than in UK and you won't notice anything like as many unrepaired potholes.

We used Peage sections of the Autoroutes more than on previous holidays and they didn't seem expensive for the advantage they convey in travel times.

Away from the major routes French single carriageway roads can be quite narrow and French lorries and large vans seem to expect mere MHs to get right over, so they can spread themselves into your side of the road so beware, they take no prisoners.  Get used to hugging the RH side of the road when oncoming traffic approaches.

I would echo these remarks. Just back from six weeks touring France .we passed dozens of cameras, no flashes that I was aware of ,( apart from the ladies in the lay-bys ) . I'll only believe I got away without a ticket in a week or so .

I must say after six weeks of French roads , the M25 was a bit of a tester. ATB. C.

I travel alone and find the SANEF tags a real convenience. Just got back from France and found that you can drive through the 30 kph lane without stopping. Use the lanes for high vehicles marked 30.

Agree the M20 from Folkestone and M25 are in need of major repairs.

Caddies104 - 2017-05-22 3:12 PM

Hi

Also noticed that although France is Motorhome friendly, Petrol Stations are certainly Not.. e,g. Height restrictions, no cash payments, narrow entrances, one was so narrow could not get the nozzle out to fill up!!

I agree with you there, what is wrong with these people? Why can't they have attendants with a little shop attached. And not everyone drive's a Smart car or citreon cv2. You can end up filling your pockets with diesel. God, I'm beggining to sound like Victor????

Something to beware of in France nowadays is the increasing tendency for villages to adopt ‘Priorité à droite’ on all their streets. This means that, when a village beautifies itself by putting down pretty new road surfaces (cobbles, paviors, etc.) there is no need to spoil things by disfiguring them by painting stop or give-way lines on them. It also provides no-cost ’traffic calming’ as it keeps everyone on their toes when approaching road junctions.

http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/get-your-priorities-right/

French motorists that have right-of-way will demand it even if doing so verges on the suicidal, and it’s inadvisable to be ‘polite’ when driving in France and deliberately give up right of way when you’ve got it. If a French motorist is dawdling (as they do) along a slip-road on to a motorway, flashing your headlights to indicate he/she can pull out in front of you will only confuse. Let them get on with it and, if they end up stopped at the end of the slip-road, tough luck! ‘Polite’ headlamp flashing should be OK where lorries and vans are involved, but French car drivers will consider the practice as an I’m-coming-through warning.

Archived