Dual Sat Nav screens

ALAN G

My wife complains that she can't always see the screen of our old 4.3 inch Tom Tom. Bright reflected light is one of the problems as is the distance she needs to lean. I thought of buying a new device with a 6 inch or even 7 inch screen but I feel that that could be just as difficult. I looked for a Sat Nav with two screens but can't see one.

I am now considering buying two identical devices and loading them with the same destination. The Tom Tom Start 60 at £112 seems to have all the basic characteristics that I need.

Does this sound a reasonable solution? Or are there other ways of getting two views on the way ahead?

Alan

I like the new subtitle" Pops in from time to time" but I regularly read all the helpful comments everyone makes.

Are we talking car or van? and which van? In our Ducato van I position the sat nav in bottom righthand corner of screen and can't say I've noticed a problem with reflections, this is with two different 5" screen TT's

You are both correct and I should have explained that while I am the driver my wife, especially when we are abroad, checks all the road conditions and directions as closely as I do. I find that her advice is very useful at roundabouts and other places where positioning on the road could be disputed with locals.

Consequently, she is always alert and wants to be able to view the Sat Nav screen. I drive and make the decisions, but there are always four eyes on the road.

We have both driven for many years but now she prefers to drive our Automatic Golf in the UK

Alan,

Are you saying your wife is in the passenger seat and also trying to read the sat nav?

If so have a look at a Garmin as they have none reflective screens. We'll certainly out 7" screen model is.

I have it positioned right of center on the windscreen and angled slightly my way and my wife can also see it clearly.

Keith.

Alan, crossed posts with yours :)

Hi Alan

My wife also checks sat nav against maps, I must say sat navs, both Tom Tom and garmin, can plot some very peculiar routes. There is no guarantee two the same would plot the same route - that might make life interesting.

I use a small box with the sat nav set in to prevent reflections, it clips into the paper clip in the middle of the dash board. This brings the screen forward to just above the radio.

It's very Heath Robinsin, we were abroad and in frustration with reflections I canabalised a wine box and used black gaffer tape. The first one lasted years.

Good luck

Peter

peterjl - 2016-07-17 9:13 PM

There is no guarantee two the same would plot the same route

Knowing the algorithms they use to plan routes, there is no guarantee that two identical devices with the same version of software installed would even give you the same route :-S

I've seen stick on anti-glare films on eBay for a few quid, don't know if they're any good or not though!

ALAN G

What you realy need is a ‘master’ sat-nav device that you could program and view yourself, with a second ‘slave’ screen that could be sited in a convenient position for your wife to follow the route. Unfortunately (to the best of knowledge) that two-screen arrangement is not currently offered, presumably because there’s been no pressure from users to provide it.

I have a 5”-screen Garmin nuvi 2559LM positioned centrally on the top of the dashboard above the radio unit. Despite the screen having a non-reflective coating, in order to minimise reflections and glare I find it necessary to angle the sat-nav so that the screen faces me directly. This makes it impossible for my wife to view the screen and optIng for a 6” or 7” screen device would not improve matters. Siting a large-screen sat-nav lower down in the centre console area should make the screen viewable/accessible to driver and passenger, but it would not then be in the driver’s natural sight-line.

I think your idea to obtain two identical sat-nav devices should work OK in principle. If you updated the software/mapping of both devices at the same time, ensured that both devices’ settings were identical and that the way routing data were entered was the same for both sat-navs, there’s no real reason to anticipate that the routes calculated would differ.

Not sure how this idea would work in practice though - would you have both sat-navs providing ‘voice’ driving advice or would one be muted? I’m pretty sure I’d dislike having Garmin’s “Serena” providing driving instructions simultaneously (or near simultaneously) from two different locations in the cab.

If it were sufficient for your wife to follow the route without ‘her' sat-nav providing drving instructions (ie. the sat-nav would just be a rolling map) the idea of using a pair of sat-navs seems more attractive.

I use a Garmin Camper 666, centrally mounted on the dash, but offset slightly to the left [to accommodate a rear view monitor] and angled to toward the driver.

My co-pilot can easily see the screen [not encountered any glare problems] whilst taking the occasional glance at the map too - when on the continent I like to understand where I'm being taken!

One other point to mention - the Camper version is very clear and easy to read compared with the wife's Tom Tom or my old Garmin.

It works well for us, as has been said - doubling up would create problems I think.

I have a couple of Garmin Street Pilots left over from motorcycling days and I did set them up running together in the MH, one navigating the route, the other one North Up showing an area map.  It was more trouble than worth and I gave up - but I don't have an OH who, by virtue of the way she navigates, needs her own sat nav device.

Sat navs are relatively cheap these days so treat her to one and then she can do what she likes with it!

Archived