Ducato 2008/9 sidelights fuse.

tonyishuk

Any idea where it is housed or fuse number ?

The sidelights in the headlight units do not work and the warning light on the dash is displayed. However the sidelights and tail lights work ok.

The owners manual lists the sidelight fuse in an "optional" fusebox in the passenger side pillar. Seems to be an option not fitted !

Thanks

I think you will have to carefully check the other two fuseboxes, I would try the one on the dash first, remember not all fuses will be fitted so if you remove one make SURE you notice any gaps so you put it back in the right place not in one that was empty before. It could be both lamps have gone? and the fuse is ok

Thanks for your thoughts, I will have look see and find my way around the headlight system.

If that fails, its off to Fiat under warrenty, Initially I did not want to get involved to much with the garage as I can see that I could be caught in situation where Fiat blames the converter and vice versa.

Still on the bright side the dealer sold me a vehicle that is unroad worthy and its ultimately his problem.

Fiat garage 10 mins away.

Dealer Hour and a half, and probably want the vehicle for a couple of days

Rgds

PS any advice from Euroserv ? (Just begging *-)

Hello folks,

I have been looking into this one because we have not experienced it before. I have checked and in 3 years and between 25 X250 vans we have not had to change a single side light bulb.

There is no fuse for the side lights because the switching of them is done in a body computer using the CAN Bus system. There are a number of common earth points around the vehicle and I would rule this out because you would have other lights not working if this were an issue. If you have checked the bulbs then the best course of action for you is a trip to the dealer.

You will be able to tell if the fault is a CAN Bus communication error if the mileage display has been flashing. This can often be remedied by lifting the panel at the front of the passenger footwell and disconnecting each of the wiring looms attached to the body computer modules and reconnecting them.

Becuase you have an actual fault there will be evidence of this stored in the ECU memory and you will need the Fiat Diagnostic kit to check that out.

There have been some faults in the wiring looms of X250 vans, all within the engine bay and while I have not heard of anything related to lighting it should be documented at the dealer so that they know what to look for.

Your problem should be covered by warranty but for others less fortunate; If after examination it seems like something expensive, ask the dealer for Fiat customer relation's phone number. They will open a case, speak to the dealer and get back to you. If the van is just out of warranty Fiat are very helpful when it comes to the more unusual and unexpected problems; we have received contributions to repairs on a number of occasions.

Sorry that I cannot be more help with this one.

For future reference, if you have a good garage nearby they may have compatible diagnostic equipment. Some devices work better than others and some are completely useless! You also need someone who knows what to do with the information that they retrieve. We use The Tecnotest Reflex system because it is made in Italy and is very nearly as good as the Fiat kit with Italian vehicles, while having very extensive coverage of other makes.

I look forward to hearing the outcome of your lighting problem.

Nick

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

I have booked the M/home in locally and they are willing to investigate the matter as a warrenty matter, if the problem spills over into the M/home side of things, they can talk to the M/home suppliers.

If that fails, the Supplier will take the vehicle to their local Fiat dealer who deal with all vehicles, who can liase with them / builders.

I will let you know how things go.

Rgds

Feedback Part 1.

The local Fiat garage spent three hours tracing the fault and came up with the conclusion that the m/home builder had not used the Fiat connections for the Vehicle light extensions( Marker, rear, brake lights etc) but had done their own thing. It may have worked on previous Fiat M/home Alko chassis wiring but not this one.

The resistance of the relays and other connections causes the canBUS to show a faulty connection.

The side light bulbs are OK, but the wiring and canBus error conspire to make them not work.

The garage concluded it was not a Fiat problem, but could be fixed as an out of warrenty repair. (several hours at £65 per hour).

I was also shown some rather "chopped" wiring in the loom. I have their report so will include it when it goes back to the dealer.

So the M/home is going back to the dealer, who will put the matter to his Fiat local garage and get the problem sorted.

Be intrested to see if they come up with same conclusion before repairing the wiring.

Obviously the dealers problem but he will not be to pleased with the manufacturer !

Keep you posted.

rgds

Just to add, Fiat checked the CanBUS ECUs and other bits to ensure their integrity and they were all found to be working as they should.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Our pride and joy is sitting at Fiats waiting for an ecu (not the engine one, but one that contols other parts of the canbus system) from Italy. The unit is VIN / build specific (I am told).

3 days to get here, if we are lucky with air freight.

(one dealer says units OK, other dealer says its faulty, Cannot wait to see who is right (?) )

Rgds

Archived