Ducato 9 speed auto 140hp

costaexpress

Hi, Looking at a 6m Swift escape, 3300kg fitted with 140hp 9 speed auto box. Do other members have the same engine/gearbox combination and if so, is it proving powerful enough for pleasant long distance driving? The reason for asking is that my most recent van was a Swift 164, a much heavier van, and the 130hp manual was extremely sluggish. Trust all enjoying their travels

Not a direct answer to your question, so apologies, but I think you may have mis-quoted the MAM?

The lowest MAM in the current Escape range is 3,500kg, and that is for a 2.37 metre wide, 7.0 metre van which, IMO, needs a higher MAM to be practical in use.

For a max 3,500kg MAM van, the 140hp should be sufficient, bearing in mind that it is a 3.5 tonne, 7.0 metre long van, and not a car.

Our van is 3.5 tonne MAM, 130hp, with a manual 6 speed box, and I have found the performance adequate in all conditions encountered to date. It will cruise comfortably on motorways at 65+ mph, and easily maintains station with other traffic on two way roads. It has crossed the Alps 4 times (Austria - Italy and Italy - France) to date and, again, comfortably kept up with other traffic on the passes.

It is on the "maxi" chassis, which comes with a lower final drive ratio (which obviously helps in this respect), but also in terms of ride and stability compared to other vans we have owned. So much so that, if the option is available, I would recommend specifying the maxi chassis over the standard chassis for a vehicle of the size and weight that you are considering.

As with ours, the maxi chassis can be down-plated at works to 3,500kg for driving licence purposes. Having said which, as above, I personally think 3.5 tonnes will prove an inadequate payload on a 7.0 metre long van. If your driving licence allows driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, why restrict yourselves unnecessarily? Plus, you'll get a better chassis to boot! What's not to like. :-D

Well spotted, I should have said Escape Compact, 6m and slightly narrower than the standard Escape.

I think there must be a high degree of variation in individual Ducato's performance, my 2013 van flew along, my 2019 (2017 built) Swift 164 was very sluggish when for example trying to join a motorway and hence wondering about members experience with the 140 auto.

Not a direct answer to your question but I have a auto sleeper Nuevo with the nine speed box and 160 bhp engine and it is a delight to drive, plenty of power on any gradient and lower revs at normal speeds

It isn't run in yet (21 reg) but I reckon the mpg will be better than previous vans.

Pete

We have a 2019 Burstner with the 2.3 150 hp comformatic. Up plated to 4500 kgs. We usually travel close to max as away for up to 90 days at a time. Find it pulls well and now having covered nearly 15000 miles find it pulls even better and returns around 24/25 mpg. Given that it is an A class with the aerodynamics of a brick. Your drive train I would think would be well suited.

Archived