Ducato X250 immobiliser light

kissenger

Hello All... Newbie here, be gentle! *-)

I have a 2011 Ducato purchased about 2 years ago. As a bit of back story, about 8 months ago the van wouldn't start when we were (inevitably) packed up and ready to go away for a weekend. Symptom: immobiliser (or 'vehicle protection failure warning' or 'padlock') light wouldn't go out on the dash. Sent it to garage and about a 700 quid later (and a weekend under canvas ... imagine!) it was returned, all working, having have 'wiring loom' repaired.

Now, yesterday, same thing. Van turns over fine, battery level ok, but wont start and the dreaded immobiliser light wont go out. This time I would like to spend a bit more time problem solving before throwing cash at the problem. So I, did a bit of research and the following threads brought me to this forum:

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/That-X2-50-engine-gearbox-earth-strap-again-/33081/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Citroen-Relay-X250-Immobiliser-problems/40382/

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/443176-x250-money-saving-tip.html

So I took out the passenger light last night, and had a dig around. I cannot see any **obvious** signs of damage or corrosion in the wiring loom, and frankly given the number of wires and difficulty in accessing their end points and connectors I don't know where to start to diagnose where the problem might be. I can't find anyone else on the internet talking about this, so I thought I would come to the source for some help!!

So, my question is: Where do I start? Without diagnostics , I might be looking in the wrong place entirely. What other root causes can result in this problem. Does anyone have any tips on how to trouble-shoot, suggestions on most likely candidates etc?

Thanks in advance,

kissenger

Lots of advice in those links.

You may have carried out the following but this would be my approach.

Try the second key.

Get an auto locksmith to examine the system.

With a Fiat specific diagnostic system test for communication with the various modules.

Add a second earth strap.

Examine the wiring loom, connections to the ECU and fuse box.

Send the ECU away for testing.

After removing the light assembly check the multi connectors to the ECU and the fuse box for corrosion or damage ( its advisable to disconnect the engine and leisure batteries at the negative post before working on the electrical system).

With the wiring loom , remove the (poor) outer rapping and examine each wire in turn, visually there may be a powder like contamination on the sheath surface where the internal strands have corroded. Explore along each cable feeling for a 'break' in the inner core. The areas where the loom has been in contact with the body work or retaining clips are possible damage points.

Whilst you are in this area examine all the relays and fuses in the fuse box for possible corrosion.

The poor design of the scuttle often floods the area with water that will help to create problems.

Mike

Archived