EBD failure / ABS unavailable - help please

Solomongrundy

Before I go running to a Dealer or garage could I pass my problem before you gentlemen for advice.

I have a 2013 Fiat Ducto based MH with a 150 Multijet engine and around 25,000miles on the clock.

We had been away a few days when on an initial start up in the morning a message appeared – 'EBD failure – see handbook' and 'ABS unavailable – see handbook'

I checked under the bonnet (oil, fluids, etc) and under the vehicle but couldn't see any signs of a problem.

The motorhome engine seemed to be running okay and there was no obvious problem with the brakes.

Also the speedometer didn't work and the outside temperature display wasn't showing.

We drove home carefully and now need to decide whether it could be a minor problem (hopefully) or a real downer.

Have you had a similar problem and was it good or bad news?

Any help appreciated.

Hello,

It might be something and it might be nothing!

It could just be that the battery was a little weak and while starting the van, there was just not enough current to go around while everything was checking itself. This can be as a result of a poor earth or just a battery with reduced charge.

If the same thing happens next time you start it you will have to get it plugged in to a decent quality diagnostic unit that can go into the ABS system. Unfortunately most ABS (or for that matter Airbag) faults cannot be cleared by the vehicle even if the fault no longer exists. The fault code needs to be read and then deleted. That may well be the end of it but in some cases the diagnostics may not be accessible and this could well be a much bigger problem.

Get the first stage out of the way and go from there. 90% of these kind of faults are nothing major.

Let us know how you get on.

N

PS. It does worry me a little that the dashboard display is playing up as well. The two problems could be connected if it is the body computer that is unhappy as it controls the can-bus network that is also connected to the ABS/Hill holder system. I have had injector faults that have caused an ABS light by this method but have not seen your particular faults combined before.

Somewhat different circumstances, but my van developed a random selection of display faults after hitting a pothole. It turned out to be caused by loose connections in the wiring loom and behind the instrument panel. My local garage cleared 4 unrelated fault codes and it's been fine since then.

If it's not a simple bad connection, then my next thought would be a faulty ABS sensor. A diagnostic check at your garage should pinpoint the fault.

Have a look at Euroservs recent post on this subject : http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ABS-EBD-Hill-holder-Smoke-Injector-fault-E5-X290/48044/

I think it was an Injector fault, but because EBD/ABS/etc. are at the end of the CANBUS wiring they sometimes get incorrectly 'faulted' when the ECU can't determine the fault.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Unfortunately I've gone down with the worst case of 'Man Flu' ever known and I won't be making an attempt to sort out the dashboard problem until I feel considerably better.

Please bear with me and I'll let you know when I do get round to sorting it out.

I have seen about 6 people including myself having the same symptoms this year, I am on a peugeot boxer chassis but will put good money on it that the problem is with the bosh abs pump failing - from peugeot its a complete pump and electronics that need replacing, looking at best part of £1500 at a main dealer, if not using a main the local guys do have an option to send off the pump for refurb there are several companies that offer this service.

• 3 weeks later...

Apology's for not replying earlier but to cut a long story short I've been in Hospital, had a pacemaker fitted and told to rest for the last couple of weeks.

But today I've been to an independent Fiat garage and they've done a diagnostic test.

They have narrowed it down to either a Speed Sensor problem or the ABS Module being the culprit and advise taking it to a main Fiat dealer – but we all know what that costs, don't we ?

If they have found what it most probably causing problems then is it cheaper to change/repair the ABS Module and hope that sorts it out - or bite the bullet and take it to the Main Fiat dealer and hope for the best ?

Any help appreciated.

PS – I've sent a PM to thomsonjuk who seems to have had the same problem to try and clarify what I might need.

Hi

Not sure my problem was exactly the same as yours but here is a link to my thread from September

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ABS-ASR-and-Hillstart-off-warning-lights/47786/

My research indicates Abs pump units rarely fail so my problem was unusual. Total cost to repair £2300 including vat. The part was £1700 plus vat.

That being said the commercial garage I used were great

Hope the info helps

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies and it's taken until today to sort out the problem – this is what happened -

I took my Motorhome to an Independent Garage and they diagnosed a possible Speed Sensor problem (No charge) but suggested I get at least one more opinion.

I then went to an independent Fiat Dealer who diagnosed either Speed Sensor or ABS Unit Module (£25 for diagnostic check) – they weren't sure which.

And then to Sheepbridge Commercial Vehicle HGV/LGV test and repair centre in Chesterfield who checked the Speed Sensors and found no fault with them (No charge).

The ABS Unit Module was then considered the 'villain' and prices to replace the unit were collected by Sheepbridge Commercial Vehicle Centre.

A local Motor Factor quoted £1,400 and other online quotes were not much better, and some worse.

It was decided to have the unit tested and repaired, if possible, for considerably less than the quotes we obtained.

The unit was taken to ECUTESTING, Delves Road, Heanor – about 25 miles away – and I delivered it at about 3pm.

They kept me up-to-date of the progress of the unit at their Workshops during the next day and I received four text and email messages about its progress.

The last text and email indicated they had successfully completed the repair and I could pick the unit up after 4 pm that day – which I did.

A total of around 24 hours from delivery to collection is an extremely good service and their communication skills with the Customer puts most firms to shame..

The charge for the testing and repair was £185 + vat - £222 in total and came with a Lifetime Warranty.

The unit has been fitted this afternoon by Sheepbridge Commercials, the dash now works as it should and the problem has been solved.

Sheepbridge Commercial have not only made an excellent job of sorting out the problem but have even washed down my Motorhome – many thanks to them.

Hope this helps others who may have the same, or similar problems, with their Ducato based Motorhomes.

844949882_ABSUNIT.jpg.37d9d3966412c0c350e6d7f11c8bc43d.jpg

Archived