EHU in France

AndyLou

And you should also consider whether you need to be able to cope with reverse polarity, which is common in France - i.e. they connect the "live" and "neutral" the wrong way around in the EHU post.

Some, perhaps most, MHs can cope without modification but some British-made caravan/motorhome electronics may not like it.  The electronic system on a British caravan we met in France a few weeks ago shut down altogether because the polarity was revered.

I carry a polarity reversing connector, which is a short length of cable with a blue plug and socket combination in which the connections are deliberately crossed over, to turn things back the correct way.  I marked it with red insulation tape to help me remember what it does.

There is one for sale here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hook-Up-Polarity-Reverse-Adaptor-Socket-Tester-CARAVAN-CAMPING-MOTOR-HOME-/121943779345?hash=item1c646a6811:g:JP0AAOSwPhdU5DYy

but you can make one up yourself by buying an extra plug and socket.  If you don't feel confident about the wiring, get an electrician to do it for you.

Archived