EHU not working

Violet1956

Start by unplugging any mains appliance if you can turn off battery charger. At your consumer unit turn the mcb's off and the main switch. Next check the supply has not tripped where you plug your lead into the mains, you may have tripped it and your friends one. If that is on start by turning on you vans master switch check if the trip in the supply box is still on, then try your mcb's one at a time.

Violet1956 - 2019-07-16 9:39 AM

Our EHU is not working. We used someone else's cable to check and now they have no juice either (moral of this story don't pitch next to us). We are in a 2005 Rapido 746F. Any ideas?

Not clear what you mean Veronica.

Did you 1) plug someone else's cable in to your van while it was still connected to the site supply, or 2) did you unplug your cable completely (i.e. both ends) and substitute theirs. If the latter, did they then substitute your cable for theirs? If 1) there is probably an earth fault in your van, so follow Ted's suggestions. If 2) there is probably an earth fault in your cable. (This is assuming it is the site supply that has tripped in both cases.

If you can look at the site supply point, you should be able to see whether it is the main switch that has tripped (almost certainly indicating an earth fault) or whether it is the circuit breaker/s protecting each supply socket that has/have tripped, indicating that you are taking more current than the supply can provide (overload).

Also, in whatever case, did this suddenly arise after you'd been connected for some time, or did it arise as soon as you plugged in?

Thanks welted and Brian. I am running out of juice on my phone. We connected our neighbour's cable from their post to our van. It gave us power for a few seconds and then tripped the supply to their post. If you hear no more from me my phone has died

Amongst the various ‘hook-up’ adapters I carry are included the two items shown in the attached photos.

These allow a quick check to be made of the condition of a campsite service-pillar with CEE outlets. Is the pillar ‘live’? Does it have an earth? Is the polarity reversed? (Should that concern you ;-) )

I’ve been on French campsites where a fair percentage of the outlets on service-pillars were ‘dead’ and the pillars had no switches to provide a visual clue why this might be.

1013335994_flylead.jpg.971ea9a17a37303eb07c39306ba2cbff.jpg

mains-tester.jpg.b2d8cd868ea2641f29d8b5117f81b130.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2019-07-17 8:04 AM

Amongst the various ‘hook-up’ adapters I carry are included the two items shown in the attached photos.

These allow a quick check to be made of the condition of a campsite service-pillar with CEE outlets. Is the pillar ‘live’? Does it have an earth? Is the polarity reversed? (Should that concern you ;-) )

I’ve been on French campsites where a fair percentage of the outlets on service-pillars were ‘dead’ and the pillars had no switches to provide a visual clue why this might be.

So grateful to you Derek. These shall certainly become part of our kit. It was a wonderful CL in every respect (NT at Stroubridge) such a pity we wasted the whole of the first morning scratching our heads.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-07-18 9:16 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-07-17 8:04 AM

So grateful to you Derek. These shall certainly become part of our kit. It was a wonderful CL in every respect (NT at Stroubridge) such a pity we wasted the whole of the first morning scratching our heads.

First rule of camping when plugging in the Leccy ;-) .......

If at first the first socket doesn't work .......Try all the others :D .....

Then observe if anyone else appears to have leccy? .........If they have.... return to post and see if there is a CB (Circuit Breaker)........Flick switch..........

and tell er in doors to turn the kettle and her hairdryer off *-) ....

Coz the site is run by cheapskates >:-) ........

P1010899.JPG.dfe418d8e74b2a4c6098481e90451522.JPG

Archived