EasyLifter Hydratrail motorcycle carrier

RobWelsh

There were lots of threads discussing this trailer back in 2011 &2012.

There was some concerns at the time, but I am not aware of the final outcome

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorbike-Rack-Trailer/26289/

Thread regarding Ferries & Eurotunnel

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Hydratrail-on-eurotunnel/45777/

Or use the Search our forums" , Motorhome, Matters", "All posts" to see them all.

Hi Rob

Owned one of the first two wheeled design for several years carrying a piagio x8 at 220kg and a GPZ500 at 200kg, rated max weight was 250kg. Took it to Spain numerous times. Main advantages is loading, reversing and only putting about 30kg onto the tow ball, disadvantage: the van overhang is extended so care needs to be taken when pulling out of petrol stations etc. They can't be towed without a bike/weight on as the castor's can become unstable. Only ever paid for the vehicles overall length on ferries never declared it as a trailer and it was never questioned. All in all would recommend.

Eggy

Had one for 3 years and I've towed it several thousand miles with no serious issues. Agree with Eggy on all points but add a few other issues. It's easy to dismantle and store it's also a bit of a bugger to put together, it works on a pantograph and you need to keep your fingers out of it when you fit it to the van. If it drops suddenly you could lose some fingers. I carry a spare wheel. There is no way you can take the hydratail off your van with a bike loaded and leave it on the road side while you take the flat to get it fixed. Be thorough with maintenance and greasing it has a lot of moving parts. Finally a tip. I found ratchet strap hooks have sometimes come free when the trailer goes over bumpy roads so I anchor them to the hydratail with small cable ties.

Hi Rob

I purchased the 2 wheel version Easy Lifter April 2016. A great piece of kit!! So far it has done about 4,000 miles and our next trip will take us to Greece. When we get back I expect to have to change the tyres although I do carry 2 spare wheels. Because my bike is a scooter, they fit nicely in the foot well. All the other kit along with 2 bags of tools etc also fit on the bike so as to keep the weight off of the motorhome. I have experienced problems getting the bike off and on the rack so I have had a 2nd rack made to act as a ramp which is so much easier. My only concern which I am trying to get to the bottom of is the wheel bearings. I do keep them serviced but wonder if anyone would know how long they are likely to last?

I have just had a chat with Easy Lifter regarding the taper bearings to be told that it depends on various factors around usage which is simple (keep them greased and mileage) was told 7-8,000 miles. I have ordered spare bearings and grease from Trailer Tek (tel 01962 774988) Premier Grade 1inch bearings plus grease + delivery = £27-90. Would recommend carrying these items as spare.

Spare bearings certainly don't add much to your payload. Any rolling element bearing will eventually give out usually due to fatigue spalling or dirt ingress/corrosion. Make sure you maintain the moving parts of your easy lifter.

Archived