Elddis factory

everhopeful

It should be soon - next few days.

From what I gather they are just waiting on a huge shipment of wood, pritstick glue and cellotape and then they can commence mass production again.

This is last-Friday’s Facebook posting from Elddis

https://www.facebook.com/ElddisCompassBuccaneerXplore/posts/3128317073896354

It’s plain from this that Elddis does not plan to remain closed forever.

This recently updated Preston Caravans & Motorhomes webpage

https://www.prestoncm.co.uk/covid-19-closure-notice-information/

says

MANUFACTURERS PHASED REOPENING

UK manufacturers Swift and Elddis are also planning phased reopening at the start of June.

but, as some 450 factory-line workers were laid off at the Elddis factory in March, returning to full production is likely to take a while.

Bop - 2020-05-31 9:24 PM

It should be soon - next few days.

From what I gather they are just waiting on a huge shipment of wood, pritstick glue and cellotape and then they can commence mass production again.

Very true ;-)

Thanks all for the info.

It seems probable that things will get going eventually, but considering they will be a bit short of staff it's going to be a long haul. They and most others will probably be a bit short of base vehicles which may not arrive for ages.

I've had three of their vans so I know the failings quite well, but as long as you're good at DIY they offer quite good value.

I asked the question because last December I ordered another Elddis that arrived at the dealer two days before lockdown. I'm still waiting to collect and my main concern is now whether the Elddis warranty would be covered. I know well how crap Elddis can be with warranties, but no warranty at all wouldn't be a good idea.

everhopeful - 2020-06-01 11:39 AM

Thanks all for the info.

It seems probable that things will get going eventually, but considering they will be a bit short of staff it's going to be a long haul. They and most others will probably be a bit short of base vehicles which may not arrive for ages.

I've had three of their vans so I know the failings quite well, but as long as you're good at DIY they offer quite good value.

I asked the question because last December I ordered another Elddis that arrived at the dealer two days before lockdown. I'm still waiting to collect and my main concern is now whether the Elddis warranty would be covered. I know well how crap Elddis can be with warranties, but no warranty at all wouldn't be a good idea.

I've always worked on the assumption that the warranty starts on the day of collection so in theory you should be OK; check with the dealer though.

Ref Elddis returning to work: I'm led to believe that the workers will return to work at different dates, i.e. until the company is sufficiently happy enough to be able to supply whatever demand is needed post lockdown.

Some local rumours are suggesting that redundancies may take place due to a potential slump in the motorhome market.

everhopeful - 2020-06-01 11:39 AM

Thanks all for the info.

Plainly you need to confirm what the situation will be regarding the base-vehicle and conversion warranties, but I'd be more concerned about the condition of the motorhome's starter and leisure batteries given the potential for them to have become heavily discharged while the vehicle has been kicking its heels at the dealership.

We purchased a new Hymer about 5 years ago.

Blimey it was bad.

We then purchased 3 LeVoyageurs and they were terrible.

Great Motorhomes, but the build quality was diabolical.

The last one we had was the worst.

When you turned a tap on the water would fizz in a glass.

We had to take back to the factory and they replaced all the water pipes.

They had used non food quality piping.

They must have run short of the correct pipe and used the 1st thing to hand.

You would never believe how much of the interior had to be taken out to replace 100^ of the pipes.

I could go on, but it winds me up.

I know a couple of people with Elddis and both are extremely pleased and they paid half of what I paid and get the same enjoyment.

Thanks again for everyones input.

I didn't call Elddis because I figured local knowledge would probably be nearer the truth than any official blather! I will be asking for reassurance about the batteries, but the solar will have looked after the hab batt, and as the van has a smart alternator the engine batt should be a type to handle deep discharge. I'll try to get something in writing if I can.

I heard the first batch of redundences were due to a 10% fall in orders due to the sky-high VED at the time, and I'm guessing nobody knows what the order books will be like now. The second-hand market may see a staycation surge, but the new market is a big unknown.

The warranty will only start on the day of my collection, but if Elddis close down for good that probably won't happen. They are supposed to be the biggest uk manufacturer so if they go down the others will love it!

Archived