Eldiss Motorhomes - quality

Keith T

Considering purchasing an Eldiss manufactured motorhome, either under their own brand name or the Majestic range through Marquis.

We are looking at the narrow -PVC conversion size, and are unable to find any others of this size - using a benchmark of 6m max and the narrow front cab door mirrors.

Would be glad of any comments as we have heard of several quality issues with them, and wonder if anyone has any experience of their built and fit quality. On paper they seem value for money, and obviously size for size offer more pace internally than the Van conversions.

If we end up with the latter, then our preference seems to be the Autocruise Rhythm or Autotrail 610SE both of which offer the rear bed/lounge layout which we prefer.

Again would be interested to hear from any owners experiences of these.

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From personal experience with elddis a marquis I would stay well clear. Look for an alternative. I could list all 20 faults with mine(which after 12 months still waiting for them to sort) but would take to long. My personal advice the customer service from elddis and marquis is like a tennis match the customer is the ball. None of them wants to take responsibility. Not sure if any other manufacturer or dealers are the same. All I can say is I paid 45k for poor build quality and no help to rectify it. Sorry for the negative reply but please think before you buy.

I think you'll find a significant difference in build quality between an Elddis and a Burstner.

There are other compact coachbuilt options, although I'm not sure who uses the shorter arm mirror.

Several come to mind - Brevio, and the Hymer variant, Swift Rio range and the Adria compact.

In my opinion, any British coachbuilt needs to be carefully looked into.......

I can’t comment usefully on Elddis/Marquis motorhomes as I’ve no practical experience of them.

However, assuming you are planning to buy brand-new and a 2017-model, it’s perhaps worth mentioning that Euro 6 Peugeot Boxer-based motorhomes will have 2.0litre motors and require an exhaust additive (AdBlue) whlle Euro 6 Fiat Ducato-based motorhomes will (normally) have 2.3litre motors and not need an exhaust additive.

http://www.fiatprofessionalpress.co.uk/press/article/5565

Boxer/Ducato-based ‘chassis cab' coachbuilt motorhomes tend to be fitted with long-arm mirrors irrespective of the body’s width (I think Moto-Trek use the medium-arm version) and - if you decide on a PVC - I’m not sure if any non-UK converter builds with a rear lounge/bed layout.

Eldiss with Swift sell the majority of motor homes in the UK, it follows that the complaints will be in proportion to the amount sold, Burstner and Hymer in particular seem to get an awful lot of complaints when you look at the very small numbers they sell. Some people still live in the deluded world that German is best, it was 10 years ago but not any more. Our last five vans have all been UK built and have had very few problems with any of them, problems we have had have been sorted out very quickly.

Keith T - 2016-07-27 10:13 PM

Considering purchasing an Eldiss manufactured motorhome, either under their own brand name or the Majestic range through Marquis.

We are looking at the narrow -PVC conversion size, and are unable to find any others of this size - using a benchmark of 6m max and the narrow front cab door mirrors.

Would be glad of any comments as we have heard of several quality issues with them, and wonder if anyone has any experience of their built and fit quality. On paper they seem value for money, and obviously size for size offer more pace internally than the Van conversions.

If we end up with the latter, then our preference seems to be the Autocruise Rhythm or Autotrail 610SE both of which offer the rear bed/lounge layout which we prefer.

Again would be interested to hear from any owners experiences of these.

Thanks

If you go down the van conversion rout take a look at the AutoSleeper Warwick XL. Same layout as the ones you are looking at but much better spec, finish and build quality. Heavy duty rear suspension with air ride assistance, big wheels and tyres etc..

Your comments accepted about AS...but much higher price. Have looked at the various AS options, having already owned two of their earlier models, but cant see any good reason, and basically don't want to invest that much new money!!! I think both Rhythm and Autotrail 51-ES are of equal and good quality and well fitted out.

We have had an Elddis Accordo for 9 months and are very pleased. We did have a plumbing leak which was caused by the feed to the kitchen tap fretting on the wood by the sink but it was repaired quickly by the supplying dealer. We went for this vehicle because of its narrower width in comparison to most others. Living in North Devon we 'enjoy' many A roads where the mirrors on normal coachbuilts overlap the central line and we have had the odd mirror incident in the past. We had been intending to buy a Rhythm but at end of the day the Accordo is no wider over the mirrors, has more storage and is a fair bit cheaper. We have not regretted the choice. We have been motorhoming for around 30 years and have not found the Accordo any worse than the others. OK the ASleepers are a bit flasher but they cost a lot more, the 2 we had both had problems and at the end of the day its a holiday vehicle. Whatever you buy, in our experience, the choice of dealer is the most important thing. Good luck with whatever you do.

We have. a Vantage Neo which is on the 6.36m van but they also do a Sol or Max (rear lounge) or Ora (front lounge) on the 6.00m van. The build quality is fantastic - ours is in its third year and no build issues whatsoever - highly impressive. In my opinion these vans are in a completely different league for build quality and ease of use compared to the Autotrail V- Line for instance.

The Swift Rio320 is the best of both worlds. The width is virtually the same as the panel vans and being able to open up the rear door is great for leisure and for loading large items. Bags of storage space compared with my previous pvc. I have had a couple of small faults which Swift picked up on their Forum and rectified quickly without me having to chase them. Certainly worth a look.

We have the Majestic 125 and we had to do a few small jobs to add shelves, headboard and external shower, but we are really pleased with the quality and value for money. Love the new Euro 6 Peugeot 150, I have looked at the shows since and would not swap for anything else.

Lynne :-)

Perhaps I ought to re-phase my comment?

I certainly didn't imply German products were the best, but conversely I'm not actually 'deluded' enough to ever think any existing UK coach-built will reach the level of design, quality or structural integrity of the majority of continental offerings - at present.

What I do see, are a few euro vans appearing to lower their standards in certain areas, whilst it would appear that some UK offerings are improving, or at least trying to.

It's taken long enough....

globebuster - 2016-07-29 3:20 PM

Perhaps I ought to re-phase my comment?

I certainly didn't imply German products were the best, but conversely I'm not actually 'deluded' enough to ever think any existing UK coach-built will reach the level of design, quality or structural integrity of the majority of continental offerings - at present.

What I do see, are a few euro vans appearing to lower their standards in certain areas, whilst it would appear that some UK offerings are improving, or at least trying to.

It's taken long enough....

You really need to look again. Hymer have not altered their build methods in years while Swift and Eldiss both use new and now proven methods. They still stick to the old design formats, beds you cannot access, cramped lounging space, lack of basic items, like ovens. Very poor value unless you make the tedious journey and fight through the paper work to buy in Germany, wonder how all that is going to work after brexit? Then you have the problem of warranty work, poor resale value, especially if LHD and imported.

Did you actually read my last post ??? I'm not sure you did.....try again.

I wasn't having a 'downer' on UK vans, in fact I was trying to be positive.

But in all fairness, you have conceded a relevant point - Hymer may have not altered their build method for years - as it obviously works.

So it would appear that British builders have at least finally acknowledged their short-comings, and implemented changes for the better. Although these methods are hardly proven at this point, are they?

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, there is still a failure ensure the revised methods are put into good practice.

As to the preference of internal layouts, it is simply that - a personal preference! The current Euro layouts are obviously popular either side of the channel, they seem to sell enough in the UK - and are clearly being copied by many UK builders.

The OP asked about quality, and I simply gave an opinion.....

I'm not sure what your 'poor value' comment is based on? and the OP certainly didn't imply he planned to import a LHD.

BTW - I don't own a German built van, nor do I own a British one!

I would steer clear of the Elddis and Majestic, we brought brand new Elddis Majestic 175 begining of last year , very poor build quality and no proper delivery inspection, faults on picking up; wrong weight plate, bed hinge defective, cycle rack incorrect, sawdust in all the lockers, broken rear bumper and defective alarm, items missing to name but a few, took months for the bumper to be replaced and ended up going down to formal complaint to Majestic and threat of leagal action to get the bumper fixed as they were in no hurry and said they had to wate for Elddis to make one. Since then we have had gas leaks, defective solar panel, defective battery, defective review camera. (and a speedo unit, twice, but not elddis fault) next trip back to dealers will be to get the door to close properly! They do get fixed under warranty its just a hassle to keep running the vehicle back. Conversation with other Majestic owner abroad gives a similar picture

Don636 - 2016-07-28 11:31 PM

We have. a Vantage Neo which is on the 6.36m van but they also do a Sol or Max (rear lounge) or Ora (front lounge) on the 6.00m van. The build quality is fantastic - ours is in its third year and no build issues whatsoever - highly impressive. In my opinion these vans are in a completely different league for build quality and ease of use compared to the Autotrail V- Line for instance.

I agree with your comments. We were tempted but what put us off was the need to return it to the factory for any warrenty work. Hardly practical given we live in Kent. If they had been able to offer us somewhere mor convenient for warrenty and service work we would have bought one modified to our requirements.

Thanks one and all...lots of food for thought, and ultimately, I think seeing them at NEC may well decide for us.

It will be our 6th MH, so we do know what we like and what isn't for us in layout, and size ) se prefer the rear lounge/bed arrangement), and our intention - if we do change - is to downsize but to ensure we have the narrower van width, and short-arm mirrors!

it seems there is little option on coachbuilt, and this is why I question the Eldiss /. Majestic modelsl. Our previous vans have varied from Autosleepers (2 - not without problems), a Compass (which I would assume to be of a similar quality to Eldiss), a Rapido, and now Burstner. Both the latter ones have had a small amount of issues, but always resolved by the supplying dealers without any fuss

Interesting to see on the Eldiss comments, in fact there are total extremes, and I guess (wonder?) if this is a result of perhaps poor quality control? I have also found - both in 3rd party comments and personally - less than acceptable standards of customer service from the suppliers of Majestic badged vehicles (in a number of localities), and to be honest prefer to avoid dealing with them - hence I would possibly prefer to consider the Eldiss own badged models and upgrade specification where needed.!

Obviously the interior provides much more real space than a van conversion, but I really don't want to reduce the quality or increase the potential problems.

Thanks, and any more comments always welcome!

As far as I am aware the only 2 UK built coachbuilts using the short arm mirrors (which is important for vehicle on the road width) are the Accordo and Swift Rio. We looked at both but my wife was not keen on the opening rear door on the Rio (they didn't offer the options without it at that time). The Majestic version has a lot of bits we don't want, microwave, auto lights, awning etc etc all of which increase the price substantially so we went for the Elddis Accordo. Have been very pleased with the vehicle and the supplier.

Final insult from marquis mh been in for recall for tank heaters and for fault on front blinds. Recall done but mh reg a habitation battery due to high discharge of battery due to fault on tank heaters. This can be done under warranty but will have to contact elddis. Recommend not to use mh until battery fitted no date of fix. Thanx was going to scotland at weekend. marquis not willing to supply a battery until this sorted out . Thanks for lack of customer care.. final insult was on cab blinds . Explained that the blinds cant support there own weight they keep buckling . Was charged £37 for diagnosis for them to tell me yep theres a failt with them. They told me elddis don't pay for diagnosis customers have to pay . What a great warranty on a brand new mh. Hope to god they dont have to diagnose a major problem. Thank you Marquis and Elddis for your lack of customer care.

We purchased a new Elddis Accordo 125 in April last year and have done about 6000 miles in it. We bought it because it had the layout that we wanted, short arm mirrors (our drive at home is long, narrow & twisted) & very reasonably priced. We are very pleased with it. We have had some problems but all were dealt with by the supplying dealer under warranty. Some features could be improved such as the flimsy wash basin and the table arrangement but overall I think that the design is excellent. Probably the worst single feature is the very harsh ride when driving on the typically bumpy roads we have in the UK. This is not helped by the stupidly high tyre pressures (about 72-75psi) required in order to stop the tyre pressure monitoring system from showing a fault.

One feature that I do particularly like is the 'boot'. The payload is good & in fact weighbridge measurement showed that the MIRO was about 60-80kg LESS than stated by Elddis (i.e. the payload is greater than the claimed value).

So, my biggest criticism is not levelled at Elddis but at the base vehicle.

Archived