Electric Bike batteries

ColinM50

Bought an ebike for SWMBO May last year and due to her having an elbow issue, we've not used it much, maybe half a dozen times since. Got it out last week in preparation for a few days away, topped up the battery charge but it wouldn't switch on - nothing at all on the display.

So took the bike + battery back to the supplier and he slid out the battery, checked it on the switch on the battery and said it's dead. Then went on to claim that "everyone knows Lithium batteries need charging every 28 days" and it's failed because I'd abused it. I reckon as a guess I've charged it 3 or 4 times in the 14 months I've owned it and this charge it every month is news for me. He then went on to say that it's out of warranty and I'll have to buy a new one. Asked him to show me where their instructions say this about the battery and he just said, it's not in there because "everybody knows it".

He's kept the bike and battery, says he'll open the battery and see if it's anything easily fixed but I'm pretty sure they're going to try to charge me for a new one.

Anyone any thoughts or advice please?

I’ve got a Gtech bike and I leave the batteries all winter without charging with no I’ll effects. I’ve just googled and can’t find any advice about charging at set periods. Some sites advise charging to 50% before storing for long periods.

When I recently bought an e-bike I was advised by the shop not to let the battery discharge completely.

( Mine is a Bosch battery.)

The handbook advises that if a battery is going to be stored / unused, for more than 3 months, it should be charged up to 60% before storing, and recharged, back up to 60% every 3 to 6 months.

As I understand it - it is recommended that no rechargeable batteries should be allowed to discharge completely -and that advice was included if my camera handbook as well.

:-|

I was at my local bike shop yesterday as I am planning to buy an e bike. The salesman told me that some of the more expensive batteries can be left to their own devices for long periods (presumably they hold their charge better), but that most should be recharged every month. Not much help, I know, but it does seem that what the dealer is telling you is right.

One, of the worse ways of abusing these batteries is to keep them in a constant state of 100% charged without use, the other way of abusing them is storing at minimum charge. Storing them at 70% is seen as ideal, mine is usually stored part charged, sometimes for months with no problems.

I have a Bosch lithium battery powered lawnmower and it's 4 years old with the original battery. At the end of the mowing season it is fully charged and put away until the next growing season. There have not been any problems at all (the battery is recharged by the supplied Bosch charger after every weekly use in the growing season).

Not quite the same as an electric bike, but similar.

It may depend how the battery is stored. If the battery is left on the bike, it may or may not leak charge through electronic circuits. ""Off"" sometimes does not fully disconnect the circuit, only by removing the battery away from its connector does it break the circuit.

Rgds

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an anti climax really. Went back to collect it ready for a fight and when I got there he was on holiday but girlie said he'd put it on charge overnight and it's all working fine now. Tried it on the road and it's working OK so can't really grumble, Had previously decided I'd buy a new battery from Ebay for £190 but if it's working OK will leave well alone. Checked charger and that's working fine too so not much I can do

Damn, was looking forward to a fight too >:-(

Archived