European Breakdown Cover for Older Campervan

_Chris

Hi,

Finally getting around to insurer our 20 year old Autosleeper that we bought back in early March. Seems like and age ago now. At least I've had plenty of time to do the few small jobs on it that were needed.

II'm thinking of insuring through the Caravan Club for UK & Europe cover but getting European breakdown cover on a 20 year old vehicle is proving to be difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Donkeys years ago our MH was reaching ten years old and that became an issue but I don't remember age being an insurance or breakdown obstacle recently.

Our breakdown cover is with our Nationwide bank account and although we pay about £150 per year for the account services, we get free travel insurance (subject to paying for pre-existing health conditions) and free breakdown and mobile phone cover too. There is no vehicle age or weight restriction but you pay extra if you do long trips abroad, more than one month. The breakdown cover is outsourced to Brittania Rescue which we used previously through LV Insurance and their service has been first class. I've had to use them twice over the years whle abroad and they were really good. The package works out a lot cheaper than paying for separate insurance policies and the mobile phone cover is a free bonus. The bank account gives you no-charge use of your debit and credit cards while abroad too.

Thanks to both of you.

I'll follow up the LV right away. The Red Pennant seems to be suspended at the moment because of the dreaded.

Finding the best overall package is a bit of a headache especially since we will only be doing day trips anyway to begin with. As you say Stuart, a package is likely to be cheaper than adding extra cover later on.

(?)

_Chris - 2020-05-29 6:11 PM

Ooops!

Just read the reviews on Markerstudy - AIB underwriters.

https://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews123837.html

They use a whole host of Insurance providers though I believe. https://www.aib-insurance.co.uk/products/car-insurance/motorhome-insurance

I have dealt with then on a few occasions and found them brilliant at putting together tailored insurance and breakdown. The Markstudy reviews are indeed awful but reading through my policy it says underwriters are Royal Sun Alliance. I cant see who the breakdown cover is with. I have however used the breakdown service in France in 2017 and it was superb. They even paid our campsite fees when we were hold up waiting for a garage to do the work about five days later.

The RAC scheme called Arrival which is offered to members of the Camping and Caravan Club has no weight, length, or age limits. Of course you need to be a member of the C&CC which costs about £ 45 or so. You can recover this cost in the reduced charges to their sites, or by using their network of Certified sites for up to 5 vans or by availing of the cheap meets organised by district associations.

Davy

I changed from Comfort to Saga two years ago,because if you insure with them before you are 80, as long as the DVLA will give you a licence they will insure you. Our van is now 19 years old and I am about to renew again,no query about van age and it includes continental breakdown cover.

Brian B.

Thanks to everyone.

I went with Caravanguard in the end with UK breakdown cover. I'll add foreign cover if needed.

They seem like a good company backed by RSI and a good price.

;-) ;-) ;-)

A curiosity.

Equivalent to the register for historic cars and motorcycles, we have that for recreational vehicles.

Of course, its classification is subject to an examination, but once the registration has been accepted, the vehicle is exempt from pollution regs and has some insurance benefits.

I am not an expert but I believe that the minimum age to register it is twenty years.

Do you have something similar in the UK ?

Max

mtravel - 2020-05-30 1:06 PM

A curiosity.

Equivalent to the register for historic cars and motorcycles, we have that for recreational vehicles.

Of course, its classification is subject to an examination, but once the registration has been accepted, the vehicle is exempt from pollution regs and has some insurance benefits.

I am not an expert but I believe that the minimum age to register it is twenty years.

Max

In the UK vehicles manufactured before 1980 are tax free and if it is 40 years old it is exempt from the MOT. My motorhome will be sitting in the scrap yard long before then :-)

Guest pelmetman
_Chris - 2020-05-29 10:52 AM

Hi,

Finally getting around to insurer our 20 year old Autosleeper that we bought back in early March. Seems like and age ago now. At least I've had plenty of time to do the few small jobs on it that were needed.

II'm thinking of insuring through the Caravan Club for UK & Europe cover but getting European breakdown cover on a 20 year old vehicle is proving to be difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Aparently our 30 year old camper is covered whilst abroad by Nationwide BS.......As we were with LV but we now get their cover free with the account ;-) ........

Never had to use it yet so cant say if it works :-| .......

At least campers of our age can usually be fixed with a hammer :D ........

New campers need a oike with a laptop to tell the owner how many £1000's it will cost to fix 8-) .......

Guest pelmetman

A curiosity.

Max

So I've got 10 years EU credit ;-) ........

Who do I sue? :D ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-30 4:51 PM

A curiosity.

Max

So I've got 10 years EU credit ;-) ........

Who do I sue? :D ........

No, because you are leaving.

Just 31 days left...

Archived