European breakdown cover for older vans.

ribs

For the last 3 years we've had European breakdown cover with Drive 24-7 - or so we thought. Recently I've read some dubious reports of the service (or allegedly, lack of service) they provide. As we haven't had cause to use them, I can't say. When we took out the cover originally, the website stated that their was no age limit for motorhomes. Now, the renewal says that only vans up to 15 years old are eligible for Euro cover - although their is no age limit for UK cover.

Checking the paperwork more carefully, has revealed that they have our vehicle as 2003 (i.e. 13 years old), but that is when it was registered in the UK as an import. The declared year of manufacture on the V5C is 1992 - and it has an age-related number (prefix 'J') for that year. When we first signed up with them, we put in the registration number (it is all done on line) and it came back as all ok. As I said earlier, that was 3 years ago. It seems that we've been driving to Greece and back - two 10-12 week trips a year (5 trips so far) - apparently without any cover! Good job it's a Merc - the van is a Hymer S550.

That leaves us planning another trip in October - with no cover. What are others doing - we see plenty of older vans on ours travels - are they all taking a chance - or is there an alternative? Obviously, if money is no object, cover can be had I'm sure. We are on a tight budget - we can't afford to do what we do, but we're doing it anyway - so for any ideas or suggestions, we would be very grateful.

Guest pelmetman

ADAC offer the best deal......although it maybe worth waiting until tomorrow to sign up as they're German ;-) ..........

We're currently with LV, and have just discovered that if I change our Nationwide account to the Flex plus, we will get the LV breakdown for free, along with free European travel insurance for 31 days, but we'll need to cough up a extra 200 quid for 180 days, but all in all for £10 a month quite a bargain, as there is no charge for drawing cash when abroad either B-) .......

Archived