Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller Account

kelly58

I have just renewed my FT account with Eurotunnel for this next year a slight price hike on past years from £96 return to £108 for a motorhome and now they also include a second person on the account which will be handy for my son now living in Chamonix if he needs to use the tunnel  for vehicle transfer.

Hi, I am still using last years FT tickets and expect to lose at least one return. However I still consider that I have profited by not having to pay any fees for changing travelling times etc.

Can you tell me how the second user is identified please

Colin

I too have one of the 5 return accounts and find the freedom of being able to change the dates and dog at no penalty as many times as you want well worth the difference to a cheaper ferry crossing.

One year the penalties from CC were more than the crossing? and as for Norfolk Lines who have become most inflexible now they are DFDS.

Yes I know in the middle of the night its £50 but FT was last year £86 and £96 this. I can board and be home in West Kent in under 1hour 30.

One point I have noticed is that you are required to give a 24 hours notice of any booking, but have found that once you book, you can either just turn up near the booking or go on the web and change the booking with a few hours to spare.

Apart from the odd family that feels the need to walk around during the crossing its perfect, especially if you have pets.

Maybe it's me but I can't see any real benefit unless you can be absolutely sure to use all ten tickets in 12 months?

Basic charge is £43 per crossing plus an unspecified 'supplement' for a motorhome plus £20 for 'peak' times (06.00 to 16.00) plus £15 each way for the dog which is £78 plus 'unspecified supplement' each way.

An ordinary crossing if you pick the right times and days within the 'peak' band is not much more and there is no risk of losing any of the prepaid ten at £43.00?

I remain to be convinced andt knowing what the unspecified 'supplement' costs would help - but as they don't tell you online I can only conclude it is not inexpensive?

Tracker - 2013-05-21 1:09 PM

Maybe it's me but I can't see any real benefit unless you can be absolutely sure to use all ten tickets in 12 months?

Basic charge is £43 per crossing plus an unspecified 'supplement' for a motorhome plus £20 for 'peak' times (06.00 to 16.00) plus £15 each way for the dog which is £78 plus 'unspecified supplement' each way.

An ordinary crossing if you pick the right times and days within the 'peak' band is not much more and there is no risk of losing any of the prepaid ten at £43.00?

I remain to be convinced andt knowing what the unspecified 'supplement' costs would help - but as they don't tell you online I can only conclude it is not inexpensive?

It is more expensive for sure and may not suit those watching the pounds. But the motorhome supplement was £10 last year.

You can travel every day high season or low at the same price and 24 hours notice. Try doing that on a ferry booking in August and I doubt that the cost is as low.

Traveled in the middle of the night and now prefer a late afternoon crossing and a Aire down near Arras.

But with the CC bookings there is a £20 surcharge for changing your out or return date.

We never know till we turn for home just when we want to come home, sometimes by weeks.

But for me the 3 main reasons are speed and convenience and the dog travels with you on the 30 min. crossing not in the hold.

We will use all 10 crossing as we live near Maidstone 30 mins. up the M20.

I pop over for a few days alone to do my thing being a WW1 historian and then there is the drop of the hat week in Paris as the weather was so fine.

No not for everyone but we like find the lack of planning just right. No rushing back to catch a ferry at 2AM. Or parking on DOVER MARINE PARADE!!!!!!! over night to catch some early departure. (Tin hat on!)

With multi trip Red Pennant its the worry free.

Curtisden - 2013-05-21 2:09 PM

It is more expensive for sure and may not suit those watching the pounds. But the motorhome supplement was £10 last year.

You can travel every day high season or low at the same price and 24 hours notice. Try doing that on a ferry booking in August and I doubt that the cost is as low.

Traveled in the middle of the night and now prefer a late afternoon crossing and a Aire down near Arras.

But with the CC bookings there is a £20 surcharge for changing your out or return date.

We never know till we turn for home just when we want to come home, sometimes by weeks.

But for me the 3 main reasons are speed and convenience and the dog travels with you on the 30 min. crossing not in the hold.

We will use all 10 crossing as we live near Maidstone 30 mins. up the M20.

I pop over for a few days alone to do my thing being a WW1 historian and then there is the drop of the hat week in Paris as the weather was so fine.

No not for everyone but we like find the lack of planning just right. No rushing back to catch a ferry at 2AM. Or parking on DOVER MARINE PARADE!!!!!!! over night to catch some early departure. (Tin hat on!)

With multi trip Red Pennant its the worry free.

Thanks for the info. Based on a £10 m/home supplement and assuming we used it for 3 trips the frequent user would, I think, work out at 10 x £43= £430, plus 6 times dog @ £15, plus peak supp @ £20, plus m'home supp at £10 = 6 x £45 = £270 + £430 = £700.

We usually book a week or two before we go and more often than not have to be back by a specific date for a reason. On that basis it's usually about £195 to £215 per round trip travelling generally mid day out and mid morning back, but as we have never yet needed to change a booking I have no idea what it would cost?

If we made five - or even four - round trips it would be worth it - but we are unlikely to - and if we only made two trips for whatever reason Eurotunnel would be the winners!

If we were watching the pounds we would use the ferry and save 100 of them every trip and we never travel in August home or away - too frantic and too hot down Sarf!

I agree about it being better for the dog and as for staying on busy and sometimes noisy (so I am told?) Marine Parade - not on your nelly - we always stay on the French side before or after crossing.

kelly58 - 2013-05-19 9:14 AM

I have just renewed my FT account with Eurotunnel for this next year a slight price hike on past years from £96 return to £108 for a motorhome and now they also include a second person on the account which will be handy for my son now living in Chamonix if he needs to use the tunnel  for vehicle transfer.

Kelly - does the 2nd person on the account have to be a relation and/or use a particular vehicle? The reason I ask is would it then allow 2 separate families / motorhoming couples to 'share' the cost between them, assuming of course that they were not both wanting to be abroad at the same time, but then again, I wonder if this would be allowed anyway? :-S

Guest JudgeMental

I have taken the second person quote literally and assuming it means what it says ...you have always been able to let someone else use your account, but they need your credit card, again I am assuming this is now not the case.....

So hoping that in theory two friends can share the account...

Tracker as usual does not "get it" and brings it all down to money ( cost of everything - value of nothing). tunnel just so much more convenient, I will happily pay double ( around £100) but not prepared to pay more, and as we did not book before christmas as we usually do...our two crossings this year on ferries which I hate.

So anyone want to share next year? We only need 2 of the 5 returns... :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-05-22 5:25 PM

Tracker as usual does not "get it" and brings it all down to money ( cost of everything - value of nothing). tunnel just so much more convenient

As ever Judgedmental shoots his mouth off without knowing the facts. Once again he chooses to personalise a general statement not criticising anyone, least of all His ever pompous self.

I made a comparison from my angle. I did not say what we do - although there is a clue if you read my thread properly.

For the last four crossings we have used the tunnel - booked a week or so before travel. Quick, convenient and comfortable.

I still see no advantage for us in paying for 10 crossing in advance that we will not use all of - for others it may well work - but not for us.

How hard can it be for you to grasp that Eddie?

Your retraction will be accepted as an apology.

• 4 weeks later...

Tracker - Up to four crossings and you are right the Freq. traveler account is not justified but as you've explained perfectly the advantage of the tunnel espeically for dog owners are enormous.

I do at least six crossings, this year it will be eight, I like the fact that I have two left over for emergancy travel 'tho have not thank God had to use them. I also like the fact that having gritted my teeth and paid for the ten crossings I can just make a booking anything up to 24 hours before travel and it's just a tenner, great. Can I make a mention of Lincolnshire Rover who put me onto all this, he doesn't come on here much these days but thanks to him.

Archived