Experiences of Exterior Windscreen Covers

DavyS

I have been motorhoming for about 12 years and always used internal windscreen covers in the Winter. They are insulated, quick to fit and remove and take up little storage. But they dont prevent condensation on the windscreen, hence I am considering obtaining an external cover.

But I am not sure they would fit in with our style of motorhoming. For instance, when parked up on a site do people leave them in place during the day? - doesnt the motorhome feel gloomy? Doesn't it ruin the view? If you do leave them on then is a model with a drop down front panel essential?

We tend to drive out every couple of days, and often drive to the motorhome service point. So the covers would need to come off and then on again most days.

Putting on and taking off must be a bit of a faff, and then you have to find somewhere to store an often wet bulky insulated thing - not easy in our 6m motorhome.

I would welcome people's experiences.

Opening any wind screen cover (internal or external) during the day will just get you condensation and icing within minutes so you're again in the dark (>)

I usually put external ones on if I'm staying more than one night. If it's cold (below -10° or so) I also do it just for the night. Unless I'm sleeping in a "get out fast if needed" location that is.

Not much of a faff to fit and take off and ours came with a waterproof lined bag so if the cover was wet, you could pack it into its bag without getting everything else wet. Stored easily in the overhead locker in our 5.5m van.

That van's now sold and our cover doesn't fit the replacement. You don't say what van you have but if its a X244 Ducato base (2003 - 2006) then would be happy to sell it to you (or anyone else that wants it) for not a lot as it's in the way. Good condition, no tears, all fixing intact and it still has it's bag.

FD

We use the silver screens external cover with a foldable central panel.

No condensation problems at all and we put them on when it's really hot as well to keep the van cool.

Literally about a minute to put on or take off and if you want light or views, simply fold the central panel down in seconds.

They live in a waterproof bag in the van garage so wet is not a problem (as long as you wipe them down and dry them when it stops raining)

I

n the bag they are a useful packing cushion to stop things rattling in the garage.

At night they also prevent people gazing in.

Personally I wouldn't be without them.

I've used exterior silver screens for the past 12 years and think they are great, Only condensation problem I've had is heading into winter when we've started cooking before they are on.

In the morning, if we aren't heading off, I slip them off onto the door mirrors......literally 20 sec job. I also use 2 bungee cords to attach them to the front wheels when its windy, that doubles the time to 40 seconds!

Archived