FON box non BT UK and abroad

Tea Cup

I've been looking at a FON box on ebay, it seems that you need to connect directly to a broadband router. I thought the FON box was a router, obviously not.That must mean you need an account, which I have of course in the UK, but not abroad. So how does does it work abroad, and will it only work in the UK with a BT account? I am on Talktalk, and am not keen on changing to back BT.

Some explanation would be appreciated, perhaps some (not too) techie could help.

As a Summary- You attach the box to your wifi router in the UK. The box allows other FON users to use your Wifi connection (only about 10% max). When you register, you get a Fon log in. When you are near someone else with FON you can use their Wifi by logging on for no charge.

So you can use it in any country that supports FON. France Germany, Portugal etc

Read the FON website which explains all

https://corp.fon.com/en

I've written a full guide about FON both from BT and in the form of a FON box on our blog here:

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-fon-and-bt-wifi/

I would not advise buying a Box on eBay - buy one direct from FON (they are only £34) so that you can have their support should you have any issues and you create your FON account as part of the purchase process.

Hope that helps,

Adam

Addie - 2014-04-15 5:19 PMI've written a full guide about FON both from BT and in the form of a FON box on our blog here:http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-fon-and-bt-wifi/I would not advise buying a Box on eBay - buy one direct from FON (they are only £34) so that you can have their support should you have any issues and you create your FON account as part of the purchase process. Hope that helps,Adam

I've looked at the FON web site but it says that there are non available at the moment, and as I'm going abroad next week I was looking to take one with me.

I'm just reading your guide at the mo - I intended to call into the stand at Shepton but forgot.

Tea Cup - 2014-04-15 5:27 PM
Addie - 2014-04-15 5:19 PMI've written a full guide about FON both from BT and in the form of a FON box on our blog here:http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-fon-and-bt-wifi/I would not advise buying a Box on eBay - buy one direct from FON (they are only £34) so that you can have their support should you have any issues and you create your FON account as part of the purchase process. Hope that helps,Adam

I've looked at the FON web site but it says that there are non available at the moment, and as I'm going abroad next week I was looking to take one with me.

I'm just reading your guide at the mo - I intended to call into the stand at Shepton but forgot.

Hello Tea Cup,We did not attend the Shepton Mallet show this year (it's a 500 mile round trip from Yorkshire!) - but we will be at Peterborough show on Stand 197 so you are welcome to come and chat to us there. You wouldn't want to take your FON box with you to Europe - it must be left at home connected to an active internet connection as explained in our article above. It is your e-mail address and password used to create your FON account that you take with you that gives you the access - rather than the box itself.Hope this helps.Adamhttp://www.motorhomewifi.com

I have had theoretical acess to FON WiFi in Europe for a couple of years or more but not found it useful.

The problem is that you need to get very close to a (usually domestic) WiFi location in order to connect and in order to find one you need to get on line to see the map in order to find one to try to get close to. So while in theory you can get on line in lots of places in practice it's a lot easier and simpler to go into a MacDonalds to get on line, since they all offer free WiFi anyway.

I suppose there might be the technology to allow you to scan for FON enabled W-Fi as you drive around but I've not heard of it. You might also need one of those special high gain aerials to be able to get a good signal to connect. There is a FON location in one of the flts overlooking the road near the Calais marina but although I've driven past there lots of times I've never had a whiff of a signal.

As I said, using MacDonalds is easier!

StuartO - 2014-04-18 10:44 AM

There is a FON location in one of the flts overlooking the road near the Calais marina but although I've driven past there lots of times I've never had a whiff of a signal.

A specific example we take advantage of every trip to France - we always have an hour surfing the internet while waiting for our ferry slot using the FON connections on Marine Drive, Calais.

There are lots of FON connections available from the flats you mention, from where we were parked there was a choice of 5 from memory. This was of course using an external WiFi antenna since a laptop / iPad is only designed to do circa 50 meters or so and so without one trying to use FON is usually a case of sitting on peoples doorsteps.

Adam

StuartO - 2014-04-18 10:44 AM

I have had theoretical acess to FON WiFi in Europe for a couple of years or more but not found it useful.

The problem is that you need to get very close to a (usually domestic) WiFi location in order to connect and in order to find one you need to get on line to see the map in order to find one to try to get close to. So while in theory you can get on line in lots of places in practice it's a lot easier and simpler to go into a MacDonalds to get on line, since they all offer free WiFi anyway.

I suppose there might be the technology to allow you to scan for FON enabled W-Fi as you drive around but I've not heard of it. You might also need one of those special high gain aerials to be able to get a good signal to connect. There is a FON location in one of the flts overlooking the road near the Calais marina but although I've driven past there lots of times I've never had a whiff of a signal.

As I said, using MacDonalds is easier!

What you need is a Wifi antenna and Addie (See above) at www.motorhomewifi.com is the man to talk to. We have one of his directional antennas and in the UK and France it is superb as it means more often than not we can get online on CL's and Aires without moving the van. I have even picked up FON / BT Openzone sites from well over a mile away and sometimes high up or across water from several miles away.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
searchforsites - 2014-06-16 4:09 PMThey appear to be in stock at the moDoes anybody have a promo code for FON?

Well, we did manage to get one, but have not tried any FON sites just yet. I would suggest you jump in while they're in stock, since they're only £34 inc postage you're not going to save much anyway.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Buying a FON box off ebay is generally not a good idea - the original owner will likely have registered it in their name, and getting is de-registered so that you can register it in your name is a pain. Not an issue if bought direct from FON.

Have a search on FON's map to see if FON is going to be useful to you at your destination. I use it in the Highlands quite a bit where there is no mobile signal.

You will find it more useful if you have an antenna externally on your van, and a router inside which picks up the remote signal and re-broadcasts it inside the van. I use an Alfa R36 with an Alfa Tube-U(G), and an antenna mounted on the rear door. I use an Omni antenna rather than a directional Yagi or Panel antenna, the gain might be lower, but generally, when trying to receive FON you dont know which house its coming from and hence which way to point the antenna, and hanging out the back door in the rain trying to aim an antenna is annoying! If you are mostly interested in picking up site wifi then you may find a directional antenna worth the hassle.

If you are relying on the WiFi built into your laptop/phone/tablet, you will find FON almost useless as you will need to be parked outside the house providing the signal watching them eating their dinner for it to work!

See pic: http://photos.veletron.com/index.php/album151/Wifi/Antenna

The Tube-U is the white device with an N-Type antenna fitting on top. The other antenna is a 3G/4G antenna connected to a MiFi. The latter works well, getting me 3G internet on EE where my EE phone inside the van shows no service. I use an EE shared sim (£7/month) to share the data on my existing monthly contract with the MiFi in the van. This antenna arrangement is permanently installed on the van, I can also raise it 12" to gain a better signal.

Nigel

FON routers are no longer available, existing users will still be able to connect to the FON network, I very much doubt if you would be able to get a S/H router registered.

If you are not already a user the only way to get access to the FON network is by having a router supplied by one of their partners in the UK it is BT.

With the FON network you can have up to 3 (maybe 5 can't remember) simultaneous login's with the same username.

Was not aware that FON had stopped selling the routers. The only option is to borrow BT login details from a friend, or to join BT. I have had my FON since they began, hopefully it will keep running! There is a statement re this on Motorhome WiFi: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-fon-and-bt-wifi/

I run a couple of Fonera For Business routers too (at our clubs cottage), but running these does not give you reciprocal rights on the FON network - so not an option for folks considering them.

Its worth getting the Cloud app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.thecloud.fastconnect It autoconnects and most of them are free (some limited, or spammy). It allows 3 devices per account.

Nigel

This is my correspondence with FON last November, following the FON router no longer being available.

What is the current situation with independent Fon users?

I have a Fon router purchased from Fon, am I still able to log onto Fon hotspots throughout Europe for free?

Recently in Belgium I could not logon as the phone companies Fon login page only allowed their customers to log on.

[?IMG]

Maciej Gawdzis Today at 14:39

Hi Lenny,

Thank you for your inquiry,

Yes, as a sharing member you should easily be able to access all our branded hotspots, containing( "_FON") in their respective signal ID.

Please find further information o how to login in Belgium here:

https://support.fon.com/hc/en-us/articles/203542422-Sharing-member-in-Belgium#Fon

We have had some issues with the Proximus network in mid - end October, but these issues are solved now.

Feel free to contact us again for further assistance,

Archived