Faulty 25 metre hook up cable

eddieandsue

I’ve been checking our motorhome periodically whilst it’s laid up on our drive and found there was no 240v going into the mh from the cable. I changed to a 10 metre cable and that is fine. I’ve taken the plug apart and all terminals seem intact, can anybody suggest where else to check?

Thanks Sue

It's quite possible that there is a cable fault (eg because of damage when a vehicle ran over the cable) so after checking the socket end for secure connections, you could use a multimeter to check for continuity of each of the three conductors.If you haven't got a multimeter they are so handy in a MH and so cheap that it would be worth you getting one.

Sue,

One of these plug in electrical tester along with a 16 Amp to 13 Amp converter lead would identify exactly which conductor had the fault...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms6860d-socket-tester/91596

And if on the live conductor then one of these non-contact 'pens' would likely identify where the break was...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms8907-voltage-detector-pen/3222g

I carry both in my toolkit!

Keith.

If it is a broken wire then don’t discard it too quickly. Cut it around 10 metres from one end and fit a blue plug. If it doesn’t work then you perhaps will dump it. If it functions you still have a 10 m cable.

Repeat the process with the 15 m length.

Hopefully you will end up with one useful length to add to your store.

I usually carry a 10m and a 25m in the van and use the 10m surprisingly often. The other 15m stays at home for the permanent hook up. It is now quite faded and stiff. Due for replacement soon I think.

Davy

eddieandsue - 2020-04-16 3:49 PM

Thanks Stuart, I have got a multi meter in the van but I’m never sure how to set it up for testing. I usually ask a fellow camper for help!!

Unplug both ends of the cable then set your multimeter to the 'continuity' setting of the resistance (Ohms) range. This is usually shown with a small 'noise' symbol. Every time you touch the meter probes together the meter should beep and the reading change.

Hold one probe on one pin at one end then try all three pins at the other end, only one should beep! Repeat for the next pin then finally the third. All should connect to matching pins at the other end. Note the larger pin is the earth.

eddieandsue - 2020-04-16 3:52 PM

Thanks Keith I will get both of them. I have a reverse polarity tester but I assume that is something different?

Read the instructions and watch the video on SF, the plug is really simple to use and gives a black & white answer.

Keith.

In my experience, it is normally one of the wires inside the plug or socket that is broken or come loose by being pulled too hard. Other than that, one of the wires has broken somewhere along the cable (if this is the case, you normally see some visible damage to the outside of the cable)

There is also a small chance that the socket contact has been over stretched and no longer makes contact when plugged in. You may even find that you get continuity on every pin but it still doesn't work (your probe touches the contact but the actual plug pin doesn't)

I have found generally that the break if not in the socket is within a few inches / 100mm of the socket. I would cut 100mm off one end, then see if it works, if it doesn't try the same at the other end. After that try running your hand along the cable and try to feel for any damage, not always noticeable to the eye. UNPLUGED of course.

• 2 weeks later...

As has been said, buy new unless you are an electrical proficient user there could be additional breakages within the cable.

Do you know its history, 2nd or 3rd hand or even more different owners, what's its general appearance ? the break may only be intermittent and occasionally re-connect producing heat.

tonyishuk - 2020-04-27 9:15 PM

Initially I would go with the Screwfix pen suggested

Connect the cable to outlet socket and see if pen lights , if not faulty plug

Follow the cable down with the pen until the pen fails to indicate, there’s the break.

Get to socket, fault lies there.

Rgds

Sorry Tony,

If the fault is on the neutral conductor?

I endorse using a multimeter in the buzzer mode as previously suggested.

Alan

With hook up cables costing from £22.95 from towsure wouldn’t it be safer for a non electrical understanding person be safer to go down this route.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend someone plugging in ect and testing a cable.

Plus we don’t know the age of the cable and maybe due for replacement anyway.

I certainly wouldn’t try to explain in my absence for any of my past clients to test and repair anything to do with 240volts.

I would recommend Sue that you purchase a new lead and play it safe and it should last a few years without any worries.

I'm inclined to agree Den.

Although I'd previously suggested that the OP could try just cutting some off the ends of the cable and just rewiring the plugs, thinking again, if they are unsure they should just buy a new one.

(One with a 2.5mm cable, from a reputable outlet).

tonyishuk - 2020-04-27 9:15 PM

Initially I would go with the Screwfix pen suggested

Connect the cable to outlet socket and see if pen lights , if not faulty plug

Follow the cable down with the pen until the pen fails to indicate, there’s the break.

Get to socket, fault lies there.

Rgds

A small caveat regarding non-contact voltage testers...

I have one of these - it has no brand-name on it, came with no instructions or battery and its cost (including postage) was under £3. The device is a look-alike of a well-known “Fluke” testing pen, but the UK asking-price of the genuine Fluke-branded version is £20-£30.

I bought the tester as I thought it might be handy on French campsites to quickly confirm whether or not a mains electric hook-up point was operational before connecting a cable to it. The device does work, but is very sensitive to how it is used. Although there is no doubt that, when the tester positively indicates ‘liveness’, whatever being tested is indeed ‘live’, I wouldn’t trust a negative indication proving ‘non-liveness’. For the price it’s an amusing toy, but it’s definitely not a tool for professional use when a mistake could cost you very dearly.

My sister-in-law has a motorhome and last December had made a UK campsite booking. On checking over the vehicle a couple of days beforehand it was found that 230V power was not arriving at the motorhome. A break in the 25-metre hook-up cable was diagnosed as the culprit but, without a non-contact tester, there was no way of knowing where the break was. Eventually the break was located (by her partner cutting off chunks of cable) but the cable was now several metres shorter and it was known from previous visits to the campsite that a full 25m cable would likely be needed. I loaned her my ancient 25m cable, but she managed to obtain a new one from a local Halfords.

Another small caveat - a lot of the cheaper 25-metre cables being advertised (including the £22.95 Towsure cable Den mentions) have 1.5mm cores. This may not matter to most users (and it certainly reduces the cable’s weight) but it’s perhaps worth highlighting. A cable with 2.5mm cores need not cost a great deal more.

https://www.towsure.com/16-amp-caravan-mains-lead-25-metre-2-5mm-core

• 1 month later...
Having checked the fuse in the plug and the socket that you are plugging into is working (try a table lamp to test it. If the house socket is ok) remove plug from power source. Remove the blue socket. Test each wire with the tester for continuity. If the is no continuity on a wire cut off 4” 100mm then check again, then try cutting off another 4” if there is still a problem . Bin it.

First thing I would do after rewiring 5 homes is to check your house socket is correctly wired use a lamp or drill then visually check your lead test each wire live ,earth and negative for continuity via the various pins/sockets and then the vans continuity wires

With out power its dead easy just check the resistance with a multimeter on each wire

PS

Just re-read your post buy a new lead its not worth the effort

Steve

Archived