Fellow European motorhomers

Deffheads

Hi, To all, can you all voice their opinions on my concern with fellow European motorhomers who think they have a right to leave 'their pitch' on a Camper contact location and expect to return to the same pitch. Let's bear in mind that these are free to use. I have had a couple of discussions with said motorhomers and they think it' OK. It somehow reminds me of sunbed reservation by towels!!!

If they leave say chairs or similar on the pitch dont see a problem ..even seen pile of stones ..probably gone out for the day or to empty and fill with water ..pretty normal practiise in my experience over here see it a lot. You can find lots of practise here that could wind you up one just has to shrug your shoulders and chill.

Brian K

I suppose it depends on the situation:

If payment made, and how many days are permitted.

I always thought that French aires were single night intended for transient campers.

Spanish ones seem to be variable, easy to make a mistake I guess

Regards, Snowie

Deffheads - 2018-04-17 6:42 PM

Hi, To all, can you all voice their opinions on my concern with fellow European motorhomers who think they have a right to leave 'their pitch' on a Camper contact location and expect to return to the same pitch. Let's bear in mind that these are free to use. I have had a couple of discussions with said motorhomers and they think it' OK. It somehow reminds me of sunbed reservation by towels!!!

Whats the problem/ If you have booked and paid for a pitch on a site, then you can leave it and come back to it. If on an "Aire" then no , If free it.s who gets there first , but not mark as "yours" when empty.

Don't use aries, or so called "Wild Camping" That's what "The travelling community do:"

Can't understand why some-one pays £Thousands" of[ pounds, then won't pay for proper sites

PJay

I await the onslaught !

Hi, To all, can you all voice their opinions on my concern with fellow European motorhomers who think they have a right to leave 'their pitch' on a Camper contact location and expect to return to the same pitch. Let's bear in mind that these are free to use.

Not sure what you mean by a " Camper Contact Location " but it's always been normal practice to mark your pitch on a campsite if you go out for the day.

As you say these Camper Contact locations are " free to use " I assume they are NOT campsites or aires ?

:-|

malc d - 2018-04-18 4:05 PM

As you say these Camper Contact locations are " free to use " I assume they are NOT campsites or aires ?

:-|

Isn’t it the case that more and more Aires are charging a fee and offering more facilities?

Becoming more like campsites but cheaper campsites.

Are they responding to the change in use? Are people using free aires like campsites, staying longer than just overnight. Makes sense to encourage people to spend time in an area rather than just speed through.

Never really understood why France would make it quick and easy to get to Spain or Portugal where we could spend all of our money.

Regards, Snowie

Pretty sure Deffheads is talking about Aires NOT campsites ..and I stand by what I previously posted even if they are FREE it happens and its not the end of the world if you have to park else where your supposed to be on holiday dont wind yourselves up and is it worth raising your blood pressure over a parking spot you are only there for a couple of days anyway.

If its in France where most aire are I would have thought it impossible to argue your point coming from a Brit telling a Frenchman what he cant do in his country.

Think what your reaction would do if a Frenchman told you what you can and cannot do in the UK in a similar situation (leaving Brexit aside ).

Quote Title " Fellow Europeans motorhomers" not for long.

BKen1 - 2018-04-18 4:49 PM

Pretty sure Deffheads is talking about Aires NOT campsites ..

Agreed.

I just Googled "Camperstops" and it seems it is becoming ( or has become ) the general term for places like aires ( NOT campsites).

p.s. We will still be Europeans - just not "fellow' Europeans.

Maybe " Outer European Visitors"

;-)

Hi all, many of the Camper contact sites are free to use, and this is where I have a problem, I have experienced a German motorhomer who went out for the day and then on return parked so close I could no longer place a chair to sit by the van. I agree that if a site is paid for, then your pitch is secure, but if I returned to a supermarket car park I would not expect to park in one I had previously used!!

Kevin & Sue

Costa del Sol

Hi,Camper Contact is a web based motorhome site and stop finder covering many countries giving cost to stay and facilities available. Camperstops is quite different and is a book that covers all of Europe.

I quoted 'fellow Europeans' so as not to upset French/ German/Dutch/ Swedish etc.

Deffheads - 2018-04-18 6:04 PM

Hi all, many of the Camper contact sites are free to use, and this is where I have a problem, I have experienced a German motorhomer who went out for the day and then on return parked so close I could no longer place a chair to sit by the van. I agree that if a site is paid for, then your pitch is secure, but if I returned to a supermarket car park I would not expect to park in one I had previously used!!

Kevin & Sue

Costa del Sol

You raise an interesting point Kevin, even if free, fire separation ought to be respected and imposed by onsite wardens, assuming there are some standards applied to pitch sizes. Going out for the day doesn’t entitle you to ignore the rules

Snowie

PJay - 2018-04-18 3:23 PM
Deffheads - 2018-04-17 6:42 PMHi, To all, can you all voice their opinions on my concern with fellow European motorhomers who think they have a right to leave 'their pitch' on a Camper contact location and expect to return to the same pitch. Let's bear in mind that these are free to use. I have had a couple of discussions with said motorhomers and they think it' OK. It somehow reminds me of sunbed reservation by towels!!!
Whats the problem/ If you have booked and paid for a pitch on a site, then you can leave it and come back to it. If on an "Aire" then no , If free it.s who gets there first , but not mark as "yours" when empty.Don't use aries, or so called "Wild Camping" That's what "The travelling community do:"Can't understand why some-one pays £Thousands" of[ pounds, then won't pay for proper sitesPJayI await the onslaught !

No onslaught Pauline, but agreement from me. 
Crammed car parks are not for me. I don't even like hardstandings that much.

As far as foreign attitudes are concerned, I have done a fair amount of bareboat sailing around the Ionian and you can almost guarantee that if a late arriver in a small port is French, then he will cross as many anchor chains as necessary to get in the last spot.

In Mongonissi a French chap did just this and ignored all the protestations from us and other anchored boats. So at 6am the Italian boat next to us, slipped his moorings and motored out of the bay at a rate of knots dragging the Frenchman with him. A bedraggled head in pyjamas appeared in the hatchway hollering like crazy, but I think the Italian was studiously deaf - he must have been - because he carried on out to sea.
Oh how we laughed!

However to give a balance, many of the "colonel blimps" on British yachts are insufferable boors, so I guess Johnny foreigner is simply getting his own back!

I like your reference to 'travellers' [as we had our fair share of troubles with them in our public house] but I would love to spend all of our time on 'proper campsite', but as we are away for most of the year motorhoming, I'm afraid it's not viable. We are members of the 2 Uk motorhome clubs that offer overseas rallies, but we are not interested in being organised on 'proper sites' Freedom to go where and when is more important.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2018-04-18 4:58 PM

;-)

That's a matter of opinion ;-) .......

Our land bridge sank 6,500 years ago B-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-04-18 7:20 PM

malc d - 2018-04-18 4:58 PM

;-)

That's a matter of opinion ;-) .......

Not a matter of opinion.

It's a matter of fact..

( Although possibly you don't regard the Isle of Wight as part of the U.K.because there is no land bridge ).

;-)

PJay - 2018-04-18 3:23 PM

Whats the problem/ If you have booked and paid for a pitch on a site, then you can leave it and come back to it. If on an "Aire" then no , If free it.s who gets there first , but not mark as "yours" when empty.

Don't use aries, or so called "Wild Camping" That's what "The travelling community do:"

Can't understand why some-one pays £Thousands" of[ pounds, then won't pay for proper sites

PJay

I await the onslaught !

I'm with you PJay on this.

The simple answer is to pay for a campsite pitch and be assured of a secure pitch, EHU, clean water, proper waste disposal, showers, toilets and maybe an onsite bar/cafe. All for €15 per night.

So come on your cheeseparing owners, admit that you don't really like overnighting on an insecure car park and that the much vaunted "freedom" to do what you want is really an illusion rather than a reality.

And yes we do use Aires ourselves but only in very limited circumstances. *-)

Onsite bar and cafe. If you're really lucky you might get a clubhouse and bingo too. If those things are important to you, then of course you need a campsite. The Butlins experience has never appealed to me, which is why I prefer insecure car parks like the one in my earlier post, or the very pleasant one I'm on right now inYpres.

I've never had problems getting clean water from Aires and have no need of a shower or toilet as both came with the van. I could just as easily ask why some spend tens of thousands on a van then never use half of facilities it's fitted with. I don't because I understand we all use our vans in different ways. Each to his own and, if I may borrow a phrase from Tracker, no right or wrong way, just different.

aandy - 2018-04-19 9:23 PM

Onsite bar and cafe. If you're really lucky you might get a clubhouse and bingo too. If those things are important to you, then of course you need a campsite. The Butlins experience has never appealed to me, which is why I prefer insecure car parks like the one in my earlier post, or the very pleasant one I'm on right now inYpres.

I've never had problems getting clean water from Aires and have no need of a shower or toilet as both came with the van. I could just as easily ask why some spend tens of thousands on a van then never use half of facilities it's fitted with. I don't because I understand we all use our vans in different ways. Each to his own and, if I may borrow a phrase from Tracker, no right or wrong way, just different.

aandy, Thankyou for your input, I could not agree more with you about owners who don't use the vans they bought to full capacity, I even know of someone who does not fill the fresh water tank because of risk of infection.

witzend - 2018-04-19 11:48 PM

On the new www.campingcarpark.com aires you can prebook a pitch leave and return to Your pitch as often as you like

Great web site if you like France, I rush through it as fast as possible as after September each year most of France closes.

Many French motorhomers migrate to Spain and Portugal for the winter, so maybe this web site will extend to there.

Archived