Fellow European motorhomers

Deffheads

Once again I am appalled by behaviour of EU motorhomers, Just leaving La Cala mijas camper stop and a fellow motorhomer empties his cassette in the correct place and whilst I am waiting to refill with agua potable he puts some water in his cassette and then just dumps the rinsed contents on the grass next to the filling point.

I despair at the way some of our community behave, yes I now most of you are going to say, pitch on a 'proper campsite' but don't all have the resources to do so for 10 months a year, we use ACSI sites to suit our needs ie laundry,swimming pools and of course bar and resturant

Deffheads - 2018-05-18 3:17 AMOnce again I am appalled by behaviour of EU motorhomers, Just leaving La Cala mijas camper stop and a fellow motorhomer empties his cassette in the correct place and whilst I am waiting to refill with agua potable he puts some water in his cassette and then just dumps the rinsed contents on the grass next to the filling point.I despair at the way some of our community behave, yes I now most of you are going to say, pitch on a 'proper campsite' but don't all have the resources to do so for 10 months a year, we use ACSI sites to suit our needs ie laundry,swimming pools and of course bar and resturant

It would be logical for a well brought up Brit to put the rinse down the toilet dispoal as well as the initial emptying of the casette - but not perhaps to a person of different background or orientation who might, for example, think that since his casette contained only urine and water, having emptied it there would be nothing much to rinse, so dumping the purely liquid rinse on to grass was OK because grass will soak it up.  It's not what you (or I) would do but is it so horrible that you have to express outrage about it and to pour scorn on all "EU motorhomers"?  I've seen far worse, including by British motorhomers and including on campsites.  It's not a perfect world.  Perhaps this guy was doing it this way to avoid causing further delay to others.

Do you really feel entitled to dictate how everyone else should conduct their toilet casette emptying?  I might share your dispair if he had been sticking the drinking water tap into his casette to rinse it (and I might have coughed and given him a stare) but I tend to think there is rather too much telling everyone else what they should or should be doing these days.  Perhaps the internet makes it too easy to be a Victor Meldrew.

I consider that Deffheads has a valid point and I also consider that attacks on him do nothing to attract what this forum needs, and heavens above does it need new contributors when you consider the inane ramblings and rantings of many of us allegedly established contributors on here

The OP just reinforces my low opinion of a section of the modern motorhome community. What annoys me more than anything is the fact that they are not 'kids', 'yobs' or 'hooligans'. They are people of my generation mostly but seem to have an exaggerated sense of their 'entitlement' to do as they please.

The proper Camping spirit has disappeared in many motorhomers, it's glamping with no thought of anyone or anything else.

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2018-05-18 5:03 PM

The OP just reinforces my low opinion of a section of the modern motorhome community. What annoys me more than anything is the fact that they are not 'kids', 'yobs' or 'hooligans'. They are people of my generation mostly but seem to have an exaggerated sense of their 'entitlement' to do as they please.

The proper Camping spirit has disappeared in many motorhomers, it's glamping with no thought of anyone or anything else.

Based on 28 years of experience I'd say your bang on ;-) ..........

Do you really feel entitled to dictate how everyone else should conduct their toilet casette emptying?  I might share your dispair if he had been sticking the drinking water tap into his casette to rinse it (and I might have coughed and given him a stare) but I tend to think there is rather too much telling everyone else what they should or should be doing these days.  Perhaps the internet makes it too easy to be a Victor Meldrew.

I have challenged several European motorhome owners about their behaviour, only to shrugs of shoulders and non comprendo, and comments like we always do this. As we are newbies to travel by motorhome, I wonder how YOU diehards of many years can be so forgiving, maybe us newbie have higher standards. I for one would not piss anwhere near a fresh water tap!!!

It seems that your high standards fall on deaf ears on here Kevin and it does make you wonder what some folks homes are like?

We motorhomed all over the UK, where emptying and cleaning a loo could be a challenge even on some sites, before many years of travel abroad never on sites and we too saw many acts of stupidity, carelessness and blatant disregard for anyone else from people of many nationalities and I doubt anything we say will change attitudes.

Nice try though!

May I say that I disagree entirely with the action of the individual but also with the way this thread is titled and therefore discussed.

Not all Motorhomers from Britain or Europe are the same and should not be judged on the basis of where they come from.

Motorhammer - 2018-05-20 8:35 PM

May I say that I disagree entirely with the action of the individual but also with the way this thread is titled and therefore discussed.

Not all Motorhomers from Britain or Europe are the same and should not be judged on the basis of where they come from.

Give it time mate ... you will. :D

I think its probably irrelevant where they were from. You just have to look at some of the behaviour of some Brit motorhomers reported on Facebook etc or the many cases where wild camping spots have been closed down by councils due to the behaviour of Brit motorhomers emptying cassettes in hedges, dunes or even the sea. Although many believe these stories to be fabrications. Never the less there do seem to be an element that just do what they like and sod everyone else or the fact that they might get a place closed down because of their behaviour.

There are selfish people everywhere.

The one thing I have observed in Europe though is generally how meticulous people are with their emptying and filling etc, especially the French. They can spend an hour on a service point. It drives me crackers. Maybe a French person got to the emptying point and this guy thought bollox to this knowing he would be there all morning and just chucked it on the grass. (lol)

Yep, there are selfish, lazy, thoughtless (and "I'm entitled") types everywhere...you only have to look at the amount of litter thrown on the streets/grass verges/parks etc etc..

The fact that some of these people also happen to drive a motorhome, shouldn't really come as a surprise.... :-S

Archived