Ferry Prices for 2017

Dave225

I have been starting to browse our ferry prices for next year and it appears to me that prices have gone up quite a bit. Being from 'up north' we have in the past used the Hull crossings as it saves a lot of time and effort rather than to drive south but looking even at the so called cheaper dates, fares appear to have risen drastically. Whether this is due to a lower pound, or Brexit fears or whatever I do not know but it certainly has made me have a re think. I know that booking through organiations such as the CC etc will get a better price but this is usually only a percentage of the Company price and as this has risen so much, the CC will also have to increase its fares.

I also looked at Eurotunnel and here things do seem to be a lot better and similar to tis year so maybe P&O have just got greedy on the Hull routes. It means I may have to do the trudge to the south instead. I do not mind when going south as I am going on holiday, it is the return that bugs me as I just want to get home, and it is a long way to Hadrian's Wall.

I have not looked at other crossings so cannot comment on them.

I recently booked a Brittany ferries crossing to Spain for September 2017 and that didn't seem too dear.  Likewise when I looked at DFDS and P&O for Dover crossings recently (albeit for September this year) and they weren't startlingly high.  Maybe you are going to have to trudge south to Dover!

We are in Perth and our preference is Newcastle-Amsterdam. Your post prompted me to check DFDS and total for randomly selected date in April 17 is £179 one way - see below. Thats direct with DFDS not through either Club and is on a par with this years crossing

Tuesday April 18, 2017 at 17:00

2 Adults

Newcastle to Amsterdam Ferry Crossing

Motorhome < 4.0m H x 7.0m L £74.00

2-bed sea view with lower beds£105.00

arthur49 - 2016-08-29 4:22 PMWe are in Perth and our preference is Newcastle-Amsterdam. Your post prompted me to check DFDS and total for randomly selected date in April 17 is £179 one way - see below. Thats direct with DFDS not through either Club and is on a par with this years crossingTuesday April 18, 2017 at 17:002 AdultsNewcastle to Amsterdam Ferry CrossingMotorhome < 4.0m H x 7.0m L £74.002-bed sea view with lower beds£105.00

That seems very good value to me.

StuartO - 2016-08-29 4:42 PMThat seems very good value to me.

I agree. We cross from Newcastle to Amsterdam in a fortnight. The cost is £189. But no return booked yet and coming back on 11 Oct 16 is £157No meals includedOutside cabin with 2 lower beds (not bunks)

I recently booked ferry to Spain from Portsmouth and although it is this year only going to Santander when we want to go rather than Bilbao (coming back via Bilbao) for a 7m Motorhome & 3m trailer it is actually £30 cheaper than it was last year including 2 berth outside cabin both ways

This is with Britanny Ferries

Mike

Mike B. - 2016-08-29 5:37 PM

I recently booked ferry to Spain from Portsmouth and although it is this year only going to Santander when we want to go rather than Bilbao (coming back via Bilbao) for a 7m Motorhome & 3m trailer it is actually £30 cheaper than it was last year including 2 berth outside cabin both ways

This is with Britanny Ferries

Mike

We're booked with Brittany for Plymouth to Roscoff this week, , and having booked this some time ago, recently checked out 'todays' price, which was identical.,

We did a similar round trip going out in Mid May returning Mid July, and on the same comparison if we hade left booking until a week or so before travelling, it would have cost around £100 more - and that's after allowing in all cases for our 'Club' discount.

This thread tempted me to check for a similar period next May/July, and the fare is identical to this years, which itself was the same as last years, so that would be three years without any cost increase.

Over the years, we have found that Brittany have less crossings now they use the larger cruise size ferries, and it is quite interesting to see that on 3 crossings we have made this year so far, there has been so much space on the motorhome/caravan lorry deck its really a wonder they make any profit!

boxerbob62 - 2016-09-01 9:07 AM

Just tried to make a booking for April 2017 on Newcastle/Amsterdam crossing,came up bookings not available after January(to far ahead?) Would I have to contact them direct? ive always used Dover/Calais but like others find its a long way!!

Not sure what size of van you have but it can make a difference eg we got out from Newcastle on 13 Sept. Out of interest a few days ago I tried to make an identical booking - we were interested to see if cabin upgrades were possible - but system would not proceed so I assumed 'Full'. But going back in same date etc this time with a car I could book a crossing if I wanted

My conclusion to that was they don't want any more motorhomes? Our PVC is 6m long + rear mounted bike rack by the way

A subjective judgement of the number of motorhome and caravanning Brits in France this year during June would suggest to me that the last thing needed is any increase in the cost of getting there. Been doing this trip for about 30 years and never can we recall such a pitifully few of us over there.

Probably there are a host of reasons, the dreadful weather preceeding this , the fuel strike the work slow in the ports [which "P" us about] and the weak exchange rate, but start hoisting up the crossing charges could see another couple dropping out.

I know where you are coming from,i have used the Hull crossing to Europort many times and its never been cheap,i live in East Lancashire so its only a couple of hours drive,if I went from down south I could probably save about £70 but its a five hour drive I can relax much more from Hull,going next Saturday and the prices were expensive when I was looking to book, tried several sites,CC were the best they got almost £90 off the official P&O price.

The frequent traveller scheme on the tunnel has stayed the same, £54 each way for a Moho. If shared with a friend over 12 months it makes sense to make the trip down (and back up) part of the holiday.

I shared it with Judgemental (??) in the past.Never met him, just arranged it by email. You just phone up with the password up to 24 hrs before you want to go. Although places are limited.

We are planning to go to Belgium in 3 weeks time and we would normally go DFDS to Dunkirk but the want £156 return from Dover and their vehicle category is one size for MH 4 x10 metres. PO can do the same but to Calais for £108 but it means more miles up the coast to Dunkirk. PO ask you to put the size of MH.

Whilst the following is not 2017 I thought it was interesting.

The Clubs are supposed to be cheaper to book a ferry - we are members of both clubs

We are looking to book DFDS crossing from Ijmuiden to Newcastle on Tuesday 11 Oct 16. Motorhome to 6.5m long up to 3m high. 2 adults, no pets, cabin type 2 berth seaview with two lower beds ie not bunks. Costs came out as:-

Direct with DFDS - £139

Caravan Club - £141.30

Camping and Caravan Club - £141.30

I think these prices are very reasonable but so much for booking through the Clubs being cheaper. On this occasion, not so ...... unless there are extras I'm not aware of

Len Salisbury - 2016-09-04 11:14 AM

We are planning to go to Belgium in 3 weeks time and we would normally go DFDS to Dunkirk but the want £156 return from Dover and their vehicle category is one size for MH 4 x10 metres. PO can do the same but to Calais for £108 but it means more miles up the coast to Dunkirk. PO ask you to put the size of MH.

Last night I went through the throes of booking with DFDS to find that there was still only one category size for MH, 4.35H x10L and were quoting £156 return Dunkirk. When I returned to the site the price had jumped to £238. After much playing around on Google window opened and behold there was the vehicle category that I wanted which was 4.35H and 7 L and for £9 return.

Len Salisbury - 2016-09-10 12:16 PM.....Last night I went through the throes of booking with DFDS to find that there was still only one category size for MH, 4.35H x10L and were quoting £156 return Dunkirk. When I returned to the site the price had jumped to £238. After much playing around on Google window opened and behold there was the vehicle category that I wanted which was 4.35H and 7 L and for £9 return.

I've suffered this problem with the DFDS website in the past too.  There are at least two MH size ranges and there are also multiple trailer size categories.  If there appears to be only one size category there is definitely something wrong so come out and try again.

You can also solve problems like these by ringing them up.  The published number is however a premium rate 0844 number and I find it impossible to allow myself to use these when I'm try to spend some money to book something.

A lot of varied and interesting comments. It would appear that ferry prices are a bit of a 'pot luck' depending on the route and dates, but that has always been the case.

The other slight thing that is putting us off P&O is that in the last year or 2 the meal quality has dropped. We used to prepay the meals and sort of used it as a bonus to the start and finish of the holiday, as they were quite good. The lat couple of trips were disappointing, so again i wonder of costs are being pruned. Yes, i know there is a posh brasserie but as we did not tkae what one would call dining out clothes with us, the cheap and cheerful buffet was sufficient.

Of course other factors such as Brexit and the Calais problems may mean we change plans yet again.

Archived