Ferry prices

Caddies104

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Often the Caravan and Motorhome Club have a deal with DFDS, but details have not been published yet for 2019. I did ask by telephone last week and they were a bit non-committal, but it may be worth hanging on until the next issue of the club magazine before doing any booking (that's what I am doing).

I first came across the price hike in December and originally thought it was a winter holiday temporary hike but looking forward to February which in the past has been a cheap travel period, I note that the prices are still inflated. Oil is low at the moment so the hike seems unlikely to be justified by increased running costs. I guess it might be a precaution against a ‘hard brexit’ ie if the sterling exchange rate decreases further then fuel costs increase and the return on investment to foreign investors decreases in value; likewise there might be lower throughput at the ports which would reduce income/cash flow. Alternatively it might just be an opportunistic attempt to see what the market will stand and how competitors react. It would be interesting to know if haulage rates have increased in a similar fashion. P&O incidentally are owned by Carnival Corporation & plc and is basically a US/UK company (dual listing) with Carnival Corporation the dominant partner.

BruceM - 2019-01-01 4:38 PM

...P&O incidentally are owned by Carnival Corporation & plc and is basically a US/UK company (dual listing) with Carnival Corporation the dominant partner.

I believe this is the case where P&O’s cruise operations are concerned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Corporation_%26_plc

but apparently P&O Ferries is a different entity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%26O_Ferries

Derek Uzzell - 2019-01-01 6:06 PM

I believe this is the case where P&O’s cruise operations are concerned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Corporation_%26_plc

but apparently P&O Ferries is a different entity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%26O_Ferries

Quite right.

British registered as a private limited company and as of 2016 with one shareholder namely Dubai Ferry Holdings Ltd . A number of the directors are based in the United Arab Emirates so that tallies.

Robinhood - 2019-01-01 9:15 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-01 8:50 PM

Have you tried getting a quote from Seaborne? (lol)

.......Might just as well ask your Ferry Godmother......

;-)

That "ship" sailed long back with the rest of their Unicorns and Fairies! ;-)

Have been using the Ferries from the North East to Europe now for over 10 years at least half a dozen times per year, will be away tomorrow Hull Rotterdam, over that period I have seen them slowly increase in costs, and decrease in amenities and value for money. Obviously some are better than others, but most are highway robbery or should I say pirates?. To most intents and purposes you are captive, certainly in the school holidays, my only advice would be shop around and choose your travelling days you will be suprised at the difference.

Hi , I’ve just booked a single Newhaven - Dieppe for end of April through C&CC £67.95. Never used this route before but looked, as the Dover -Calais route was dearer, and Portsmouth-Caen single was £171. Our motorhome is 6.6 mtrs long plus bike rack.

We are heading for Catalunia and whilst Caen is better located I’ll happily drive a few extra miles to save £100 (one way) which should pay for whatever visas the EU slaps on us after the “B” word happens.

I booked Portsmouth-Caen seven Months ago for this June, my van is 6m,cost £306 return,never used that crossing before so not sure how its changed from other years,went Hull Rotterdam Europort last September cost £320,used that crossing many times over the years. Portsmouth -Caen is a afternoon sailing return is early morning.

For the first time ever we have booked our crossings with Eurotunnel, until now it has always been much dearer than the ferries but this year it was cheaper at £58 each way at sensible times, against a best DFDS price of £79.50 each way on the same days but at silly times like 0600 or before.

Bas

Basil - 2019-01-12 8:53 PM

For the first time ever we have booked our crossings with Eurotunnel, until now it has always been much dearer than the ferries but this year it was cheaper at £58 each way at sensible times, against a best DFDS price of £79.50 each way on the same days but at silly times like 0600 or before.

Bas

Out of amazement/interest as I can get nothing under £100 one way, what is the date and time if your crossing?

sshortcircuit - 2019-01-12 11:19 PM

Basil - 2019-01-12 8:53 PM

Bas

Out of amazement/interest as I can get nothing under £100 one way, what is the date and time if your crossing?

Ditto. Best I can find is £92 each way? |How did you do it for £58

Archived